Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
supergirljennie
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Is this allergies?

I suspect my middle son, Xander, might have food allergies.

We have been to the ER once in the past 5 months, because my son broke out in hives dramatically. This week he broke out with a bumpy rush that my pediatrician diagnosed as an allergic reaction. He also will randomly, occasionally (maybe once a week or so) throw up and then be perfectly fine. He threw up during the night the day before this latest rash showed up. Does this son like allergies, food or otherwise?

My ped won't do any allergy testing because he says there are too many possibilities to be testing blindly, since we literally have no idea what is setting it off. I'm just worried that his reactions are going to get progressively worse because we can't pinpoint and eliminate.

Advertisement

Last edited by supergirljennie; 06-11-2010 at 02:33 PM.
supergirljennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is this allergies?

Wow, throwing up once a week! That is pretty intense. Would your insurance cover a visit to an allergist? You could get another viewpoint anyway than what you are getting from your pedi.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
supergirljennie
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

The dumb thing is, our pediatrician IS an allergist! He thinks doing the prick test will be too traumatic if we can't narrow it down more. There's no consistency on what he eats and when the reactions happen to be able to say, "it's this, not that".
Old 06-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
mrsberkowitz
Registered Users

My Mood:

My son they think has an allergy to Milk. Not dairy or lactose, but milk. Everytime he's been given milk by us or family he would throw up, break out in a rash and have horrible horrible tummy aches. We had to do a trial and error at home because our pedi didn't want to do any tests on him. Figures. Dr's are supposed to tell US what's wrong, not us figure it out for ourselves. Glad I did though!
Proud Owner of Tiny Tots Clothing
mrsberkowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

I think there is a blood test they can do too, though it might have more false positives if I am remembering correctly. I would probably at least want to test the really scary stuff like nuts. We have a friend whose child throws up whenever he eats peanuts. I think food allergies are so tricky... I have them myself and it took until I was a college student for me to figure out what they were- until then I just complained that carrots made my throat itch to my parents and I think they thought I was just wanting to avoid veggies. I tried to go slow with introducing foods to my girl also, but since they don't always react right away, I think it is just very confusing.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
supergirljennie
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

We don't have any history of food allergies on either side of the family, so I don't really have a place to start. I am lactose intolerant, but I don't really count that.

I think maybe the next time he throws up, I'll take him back in and insist something be done. Throwing up all the time isn't normal, and it seems like his reactions are getting worse. He used to throw up every once in a while and it be nothing, but that is happening more frequently now, and we are also have skin reactions, so whatever he is reacting to, it's obviously getting worse. Sigh.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
mom2piddle
Registered Users
seller

maybe start a food journal for him...mark when he's gotten sick and/or the rash....see if there are any similarities between those days....also I know someone who is lactose intolerant...her oldest son gets sick if he has too much milk/dairy...he is ok with a little bit but has a limit...her other 2 kids have no issue with it....
Old 06-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That does sound like allergies. And the doc is right, you can't go in and test for *everything* with no direction. Esp if it's the skin pr!ck test *shudder*. Keep a food diary of EVERYTHING he eats and drinks for the next couple of weeks. Anything you suspect after those two weeks, cut out for a few weeks and then reintroduce one at a time, or go into the pedi with your food diary and suspect foods to test.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
mom4organics
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the ladies on keeping a food diary and keeping track of his reactions. IF there is a food allergy, you will notice a pattern. At the same time it may only be a temporary sensitivity and will clear up in a few months or so. But with having lots of experience with different food allergies within our family (and skin reactions) I can tell you there is just no reason to put a child thru all that allergy testing this early. They go thru so many changes that the test wont even accurate, and the results can change when testing a year later or so. My son has a mild eczema - or I would call it more of a bumpy uncreative rash - and I can practically write you a book on what it could be from. There is a lot, so the best thing is to watch your son, and do that food journal. I just hung a calendar on my fridge and would make notes of what he ate and how he felt/any reaction.
Galina ~ mom to 6yr old ds, 1yr dd, with ds #2

Last edited by mom4organics; 06-11-2010 at 03:36 PM.
mom4organics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

ITA about the food journal. I know it sounds like a PITA, but I would write down what he eats when and when he pukes and take that in to the dr after a few weeks (or just one if you prefer). Hopefully he could use it to figure out what your DS is allergic to and if it doesn't point to any specific allergy, at least he'll know what foods to test for (since its obviously something he's eating, not something he's not eating). HTHs and I hope you can figure out what your ds is allergic to.