Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #31
Elijah'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ummsmiley
So interesting that you mamas didnt really feel a difference or had a rough recovery unmedicated! My first epi went as planned but I was so groggy and out of it from the meds,plus I def. couldn't push as well with no sensation in the lower half. My other epi was a DISASTER. They went a fraction too high in the spine and I lost feeling from the neck down and started to pass out. They brought me back and got it in the correct space on the second go but because of the puncture in the first space not closing right away, and spinal fluid leaking into the body I had a HORRIBLE spinal headache for the rest of the labor and several more days. They ended up having to do a blood patch where they push your blood with a huge needle into the spinal space to try and stop the leak. It was sooooooo painful! I had weird sounds in my ears and an instant headache when i laued on my stomach and lifted my head for over two years, as a result. Typing that out makes me want to go natural!.....but then I say to myself, surely that won't happen twice!lol

After my unmedicated births I felt great! Tired like I just worked out but really great.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forumq
I had the same experience with the botched epidural resulting in spinal headache. They didn't do the blood patch, sent me home on caffeine pills. I had 4 grand mal seizures at 4 days pp, was mercy flight end and spent 4 days in the ICU because of the damage done to my spine. We talked to attorneys but apparently migraines and seizures are an "accepted risk" of an epidural. They told me what happened to me to the extent of seizures happens once a day in the US. We couldn't even get help for the resulting medical bills. So it's not just the "inconvenience" of being bedridden with a monster migraine, seizures are dangerous and very scary. I was holding my 4 day old baby when it started, thank goodness my DH was right there to take him as I started convulsing. He could have been seriously hurt I'm recovered now but it makes me sad more mamas aren't told about this very real risk.

Advertisement

Elijah'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #32
ummsmiley
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah'sMama

I had the same experience with the botched epidural resulting in spinal headache. They didn't do the blood patch, sent me home on caffeine pills. I had 4 grand mal seizures at 4 days pp, was mercy flight end and spent 4 days in the ICU because of the damage done to my spine. We talked to attorneys but apparently migraines and seizures are an "accepted risk" of an epidural. They told me what happened to me to the extent of seizures happens once a day in the US. We couldn't even get help for the resulting medical bills. So it's not just the "inconvenience" of being bedridden with a monster migraine, seizures are dangerous and very scary. I was holding my 4 day old baby when it started, thank goodness my DH was right there to take him as I started convulsing. He could have been seriously hurt I'm recovered now but it makes me sad more mamas aren't told about this very real risk.
WOW, WOW ,WOW....your story brought tears to my eyes reading that! I had no clue about the risk of seizures. Like you I contacted an attorney as well when the noises in my ears wouldn't go away, ect.. and was told the same. That paper they have you sign WHILE YOUR DESPERATE FOR PAIN RELIEF they pass on as just a technicality...no big deal and if you actually take the time to read it warns of all these side effects (spinal leaks,paralysis, infection,ect...) and you think Ohh these things are rare, women get thousands of epidurals a year but they have to warn about everything. It may be rare statistically but when your the one it happens to it is super scary and makes you ask is it worth it? Sometimes it is a medical necessity but all too often, like when I choose to get one, it's not. THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOU STORY MAMA

ummsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #33
ummsmiley
Registered Users
seller

It is not my intention to scare any mommas and I completely respect the choice to get an epidural ( I have myself) but this thread caused me to really take time to research all the risks involved and what I discovered may be helpful or informative to someone else. Ive had 6 labors and was unaware of all the possible risks an epidural carriers.The risks associated with statistics are as follows.

Statistics

66.53% Private Hospital Epidural Rate (NSW)

35.44% Public Hospital Epidural Rate (NSW)

(Source: NSW Mothers & Babies Report 2009)

Check your local hospital epidural rates here in our Birth Services Revealed.

Positives

Relief from pain
Allows a women to rest and relax
Allows the mother to be awake for the birth of her baby when having a caesarean.
Can help to control high blood pressure

Negatives Effects on mother

Epidurals interferes with your body’s natural release of oxytocins (the love drug) which may effect maternal bonding
You may feel removed from the birth process, more of a spectator than an active participant.
Opens the flood gates for the cascade of intervention to begin
You are 3 times more likely to be given oxytocin to increase contractions
You are 3 times more likely to experience a forceps/vacuum extraction
160% increase in having a caesarean section
1/4 of all women who are given opiates will experience pruitis, or generalised itching of the skin.
30% of women will experience nausea and vomiting
1/3 will experience shivering
1:100 experience prolonged and/or severe headaches
1:500 ongoing numb patches, usually clearing after 3 months
4 -18:10,000 weakness and loss of sensation in the areas affected by the epidural
1:200,000 will be crippled
Increased risk of maternal death
Restricted movement
IV required
Electronic Foetal Monitoring required
Increased likelihood of bladder catheterization and internal monitoring
Risk of Dural puncture
Hypotension (29%)
Prolonged 2nd stage labour
Uneven, incomplete or nonexistent pain relief
Feelings of emotional detachment
Respiratory insufficiency or paralysis
Convulsions
Toxic drug reactions
Septic meningitis
Allergic shock
Cardiac arrest
Neurological complications
Backache (weeks to years)
Postpartum feelings of regret, loss of autonomy
Faecal and urinary incontinence or bladder dysfunction (inability to urinate)
Paresthesia (”pins and needles&rdquo
Loss of perineal sensation and sexual function
Convulsions
Nerve injury
Epidural abscess
Blood pressure drops
Use of morphine also causes oral herpes in 15% of women

Twenty-three percent, or nearly one in four women, given an epidural block will develop a complication. One undesirable complication is death—epidural block for relief of normal labor pain results in a three times higher mortality rate for the woman than labor without epidural block. One out of every 500 epidural blocks results in temporary neurological problems, such as paralysis in the woman; and in one out of every half-million epidural blocks, this neurological damage to the woman is permanent — Marsden Wagner, M.D., M.S., for 15 years a Director of Women’s and Children’s Health, World Health Organization.

Last edited by ummsmiley; 05-29-2013 at 07:58 PM.
ummsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote