Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
caedmyn
Registered Users
seller

how do you keep AI2 shells from wicking or getting stinky?

I've used AI2s with DS1 & DS2. DS1 didn't wick out of them but I did have issues with the shells getting stinky between washes. DS2 wicked out of everything that didn't have a PUL inner. Even if the soaker wasn't really wet he'd wick out the sides. So I ended up using only shells with PUL inners. Now DS3 is here and I'm going to order some custom AI2 shells for him. It seems like PUL inners would cause more leaks from EBF poop than non-PUL inners, but I can't afford to buy a bunch of shells with non-PUL inners and then find out that he wicks out of them like DS2 did.

All that to say:
1. how do you keep AI2 shells from getting stinky between washes?
2. how do you keep the shells with non-PUL inners like suedecloth or microfleece from wicking?

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: how do you keep AI2 shells from wicking or getting stinky?

I haven't had issues with PUL inners wicking...
I find air drying the covers between uses enough to deal with odor so I ussually rotate 2-3 covers, if I get a poo diaper the cover goes into the pail though even if nothing got onto the cover.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have several AI2 covers to rotate between throughout the day, wipe after use, & let air dry, if stinky when dry toss it in your pail to be washed.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Make sure the inner material (suedecloth or whatever) is not sticking out around the legholes or waist. That is what causes wicking. The PUL needs to be rolled in so no inner fabric is showing.

Air out covers between uses. We get 5-6 uses out of one cover before it smells, by letting it get dry.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
Make sure the inner material (suedecloth or whatever) is not sticking out around the legholes or waist. That is what causes wicking. The PUL needs to be rolled in so no inner fabric is showing.

Air out covers between uses. We get 5-6 uses out of one cover before it smells, by letting it get dry.
I disagree with the rolling in actually. Depending on how the leg casing is done, if it us rolled in and liquid does get on the rolled in PUL (polyester since it would be the outer fabric), the liquid will travel along the outside of the diaper and cause wicking. Microfleece/suedecloth actually reduces this.
m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
caedmyn
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m&m View Post
I disagree with the rolling in actually. Depending on how the leg casing is done, if it us rolled in and liquid does get on the rolled in PUL (polyester since it would be the outer fabric), the liquid will travel along the outside of the diaper and cause wicking. Microfleece/suedecloth actually reduces this.
Maybe that was the problem...I know we had a lot of diapers where the outer rolled in and they all wicked. But then I think the ones with microfleece inners rolling out wicked too.