Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #21
amdafforn16
Registered Users
seller

Re: Doula?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpkin View Post
I used to be a doula for 5 years, so I'm a bit biased, but truthfully I'd never give birth with out one.

I had a doula for my first two births and it made all of the difference. With my first I was induced at 34 weeks 5 days due to severe preecclampsia and my son was born at a free standing birth center.

Doulas are great for mama's, even if you have an amazing midwife AND a husband/partner. But really I think doulas are the best for dads. They help you to understand what is normal and what is coming. They can explain things to dads and also give them a break to pee or eat with out feeling guilty about leaving you for a few minutes. They are also great for giving dad back rubs when they are tending to you! Dads love you and because of that they HATE to see you in pain, they are fixers. Doulas help dads to stay calm and present, while tending to you and their own needs. Doulas are really the most amazing in transition....you'll hit a point when you don't think there is any possible way that you'll make it through the next contraction, that is when she'll sit next to you and tell you have great you are doing and how this is normal and you'll work through the contractions together to pass this point and get your little one into your arms! Having someone who knows your wishes and is there to help you through the hard is invaluable.

I'd say to meet with a few doulas and find the best fit for you. One who is nurturing, but can push you through the tough when the time comes and one who honors your family and husband and integrates him into everything. Good luck
I cannot thank you enough for this comment! I actually have found a doula I want to hire, but I still need to talk it over with hubby and get him on board. I think I will read him your post word for word! I know it would be extremely beneficial for him as much as me to have a doula there, I just need to get him to realize that

Advertisement

She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. Proverbs 31:25
amdafforn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #22
GloryBirth
Registered Users

Doulas are well worth the money. I became one after realizing how vital and how missing they are from us as a society. To help with the payment consider these options: Finding a certified doula that can be reimbursed by insurance, one that will do payment plans, or find a doula in training - it costs significantly less (not certified, but all the heart and support you'll need). Hope this helps! Also, this is your birth, not your husband's - having a natural childbirth is probably the most empowering thing a woman can experience and he should not be wanting to deprive you of that. I get that it comes from the protective nature in men, but he needs to understand the importance of this!
GloryBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:58 AM   #23
amdafforn16
Registered Users
seller

I have officially hired a doula for my birth! Thank you ladies for all your feedback, it truly does help my thought process!

She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. Proverbs 31:25
amdafforn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:46 PM   #24
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sorry didn't see the update

Last edited by KaleidoscopeEyes; 08-07-2017 at 11:47 PM.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote