Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How to make CD work with 2 in diapers?

I have tried this before but always get overwhelmed with the laundry. I have a new baby coming in July and want to CD new baby and the next youngest which won't be quite 2. How do you do it? What do you use? How do you manage laundry and keeping up with it? Basically HELP me make this work so I know what to get for us...

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to make CD work with 2 in diapers?

For me it I have to break it down--night diapers, out and about diapers, and at home diapers.

Night I have 6 BG 4.0
Out and about 12 simplex AIO
Home flats and prefolds. With flip or econobum covers

I will have 2 in cloth come April

I had 2 in cloth a couple of yrs ago and I mostly did prefolds at home. I tried so many different diapers and it got overwhelming. What I listed above is for my sanity and always having diapers when I leave the house and not having to rely on sposies. I also realy like Flats and prefolds.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've CDed two twice. Once was a baby (from four months) and toddler. The other was from birth and a toddler.

We had our main stash and shortly after I found out I was pregnant with Noah I started a newborn stash. I had a little bit of everything fro his stash. For our main stash I had a pretty varied stash also, not very many prefolds I used regularly though.

I kept newborn diaper laundry in it's own laundry bag, though sometimes did wash the different sets together. I had more main stash cloth diapers than newborn diapers and considering NBs go through more diapers I had more NB diaper laundry I had to wash more frequently than the main diaper stash laundry.

I really didn't have too much issue, from what I remember, about keeping up with the laundry. I will say though I am on an AIO and covers/fitteds kick now. I hate stuffing the pockets! I stuff the ones I need for bedtime and the rest sit until I feel like doing stuffing them.

If I had a NB stash to do all over again I'd get some prefolds and covers (because they were such a great fit when so many things didn't fit) but mostly fitteds, and covers, with some AIOs.
Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am looking at BG xs Aio diapers...I have tried them before with great success on a tiny newborn...prefolds were hard for us on a newborn...bad leaks no matter how I folded resulting in cover getting nasty too...what do u like on a newborn? How many did u buy for newborn?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

I am going to have this soon. I have a 21 month old and a expecting any day. I have 8 snap diapers (baby) and 10 snaps (toddler) so that is the breakdown with a few I will overlap between them probably as some will be used for night for the baby. I will do them together as there's a distinction between the two and all. I will just do more often than I am doing now (once a week). Good luck).
Join me making money doing the following: shopkick, Swagbucks, fronto unlock screen , Perk and Perk unlock screen, receipthog,1Q, Free Eats, panel app, qmee, bzzagent, slidejoy unlock screen, smiley360, adme unlock screen, Rewardrack, Snap by Groupon, reviewsio, swaggable, checkpoints referral name: jmnhuisman, pinchme referral code: 54K7J, lootpalace, shopalong , drizzle sms - clock, yerdle, send Earnings, yaarlo referral code JESSA398, ibotta, BrowseU, survey cow unlock referral code is8513604729
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For nbs I love flats. I also like fitteds.

My nb stash looks like this

18 nb simplex AIO
12 flats--soon to be 24
6 fitteds--wahms
and 5 covers xs thirsties.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I found streamlining the stash to be easiest. We used all flats for quite a while now we have the flats for backups and use motherease sandies all the time. That way there's no learning curve if dad or siblings help with diapering and i would want o deal with pockets with all the stuffing and unstuffing. Aios might be good too, we can't use them cause our little ones are sensitive to PUL.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

I personally like a simple shared stash for 2-3 kids in diapers. I get overwhelmed trying to separate or distinguish newborn, toddler, nighttime, etc. So my stash is exclusively trifolding inserts in OS covers. I have small ones (10x12") that work trifolded the short way for the first few months, then folded in half for the next few months, and work as overnight doublers for the toddler. The larger trifolding inserts are 13x15" and used the same, first the short way, then the long way.

You can buy them from The Fancy Pansy (custom), Diaper Circus, and the larger ones from Diaper Safari. Or you can make them from flats, old blankets or towels sandwiched between flats or old tshirts, or receiving blankets.

Sooooo, I use the small ones as postpartum cloth until the baby's cord falls off (and use sposies on baby). The smalls fit baby 7-17 pounds, and the larges fit 18-35 pounds. I have 45 smalls and 32 large. There are several OS covers that fit a true wide range, inclduing Fansy Pancy and Grovia. During the newborn stage, I had probably 20 covers between the kids. I filled in the need for extra covers with some newborn covers that I then sold.

For me, the key to handling several kiddos in cloth is having a large enough stash to not be panicking if they don't get washed right away. I only wash when the pail is FULL, none of this "at least every 24-48 hours" nonsense. So I wash every 2-3 days During the newborn stage, and only twice a week after that.

I always keep 3 small and 2 large trifolds in the diaper bag along with 2 OS covers and about 10 wipes. Either size can be used in a pinch. No messing with a separate diaper bag stash.

The other thing I do when I am getting overwhelmed with laundry is use the washing machine as my dirty hamper. No sorting, just throw anything in that is dirty and wash when it is full (NOT diapers, though).

What I am currently doing is have a basket in every child's room and have a wash day for each child each week, along with whatever kitchen rags and odds and ends need to be washed at the moment. I wash towels and washcloths on bathroom cleaning day and sheets on Saturday with me and DH's clothes. Kids sheets get washed about once a month, whenever they don't have much laundry on their "day," and get washed with their own clothes. It comes out to two loads a day, usually, except Sundays.

We also wear clothes 2-3 times if possible to cut down on laundry, and use bath towels for a full week before washing them. Hand towels get swapped out every other day.

Last edited by Melinda29; 01-30-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

These are good suggestions...I just can't seem to get the fold down on flats and prefolds for a NB where that EBF poop doesn't leak onto the cover - and then I don't end up with enough covers - which is the expensive part of using prefolds and flats IMO. I made some prefolds/flats with the last baby and those didn't absorb very well.

I don't mind stuffing pockets and like that I can change the insert for super soakers. I have had the best luck with BG OS once they get bigger past the NB stage I can just share the diapers between the 2 kids...that's been the only thing that I've been able to really stick with but I got rid of all of my BGs after #3 so I don't have any of those for these two kiddos and don't have the funds to buy that many again so looking for other options.

Keep coming with the brands that you've found that worked well.

Also, do you use the same laundry detergent you use on your clothes on diapers or something different? Do you dry diapers in dryer or line dry? Do you have more than one diaper pail (some have already answered this I know)? What is your best remedy for diaper stick once they get older?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowangel View Post
I just can't seem to get the fold down on flats and prefolds for a NB where that EBF poop doesn't leak onto the cover

I don't mind stuffing pockets and like that I can change the insert for super soakers. I have had the best luck with BG OS once they get bigger past the NB stage I can just share the diapers between the 2 kids...that's been the only thing that I've been able to really stick with but I got rid of all of my BGs after #3 so I don't have any of those for these two kiddos and don't have the funds to buy that many again so looking for other options.

Keep coming with the brands that you've found that worked well.

Also, do you use the same laundry detergent you use on your clothes on diapers or something different? Do you dry diapers in dryer or line dry? Do you have more than one diaper pail (some have already answered this I know)? What is your best remedy for diaper stick once they get older?

Have you tried the jelly roll. I think I have had one ebf escape the pf and get out on cover with my nb.

BG is having a seconds sale. They have BG 4.0 for $11 but with no inserts--you can use flats or prefolds in those.

I use the same detergent. I put everything in the dryer--I always say I will air dry but I don't. I diaper pail--actually at the moment I just have 2 wet bags and not pail. Diaper stinck for older babues is rinse rinse rinse and I sometimes add a little bleach. I really do not get stinck though. I use more detergent than they say add biokleen oxygen bleach. If we have bigger stinck issues or something smells not right I pull out the bleach.