Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
aphlbrck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Med help please! Almost 4 year old dx'd w/ADHD

DS2 was diagnosed w/ADHD and proprioceptive disorder last month. The psychologist who dx'd him recommended medication as the ADHD is preventing normal functioning.

ADHD runs in DH's family and I'm sure is a proper dx and we both (along w/our pediatrician) feel that medication is necessary for the safety and sanity of our family. We're also starting OT asap for the preprioceptive disorder.

We tried 2.5mg ritalin chewables cut in 1/2, giving 1/2 in am and 1/2 at lunch time. These are not working and there are no other chewables on the market. There is a liquid but it's $500/month (we have to pay oop for rxs).

So, have any of you had any experience w/medication in an almost 4 year old. Our ped said she's only had 1 other child dx'd this early so I'm seeking some outside input before our follow up tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your input!!!

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Med help please! Almost 4 year old dx'd w/ADHD

Well DS started guanfacine when he was 4 but he has always just swallowed the pills. Have you tried that at all? I used to put it on his tongue and he would take a drink and swallow it. Now he can do it all himself. He also only takes 1.2 a pill so it's pretty small, sometimes it takes 2 drinks to get it down. Our ped told us just to do it, and not act like it was a big deal since he feeds so much off our emotions, "We're going to put the medicine on your tongue and then just take a drink of your juice" and thats what we did.
Hope you can find something that works for you!
Old 03-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
aphlbrck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you! I think that's what we'll try w/Ritalin...He's pretty open to new things so hopefully it'll go well...
Old 03-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I don't have experience with meds that young. My 7yo is also taking guanfacine (1/2 tab in the am and 1/2 in the pm) but we use with focalin xr, which I don't think is approved for under 6.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
babynme8
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have tried Focalin, Focalin XR and Ritalin. Ritalin worked best for us. DS got agressive on the Focalin including the XR. My son was 5 when he started taking it and prefers "swallow pills" over chewables. If your son can't swallow the pill you can also give it to him on a spoonful of applesauce or pudding. Try not to get discouraged it takes awhile to find the right medicine and dose.
babynme8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
Mommy2JandS
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you looked at the medication compounded? Or would that be as expensive as the one that is already a liquid? We have to do this for my DS's one medication since he can't swallow pills yet. We give him a small candy after taking it too since even the liquid with flavor tastes awful. Maybe a small motivator like that could help?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A pill in applesauce, pudding, some jellies, yogurt...can go down easy if he is nervous about swallowing. Then a drink after. My oldest at 2 started taking whole pills.