Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2017, 09:38 PM   #1
SquishySnugglebug
Registered Users

Thoughts/Feedback?

Not really sure what my question is, other than if anyone has any thoughts on what you think might happen with my case (I know things can change at any time)

Baby Chompers came to me a year ago last month(at 5 months). In the spring last year, the goal was to get older siblings (they were placed at another foster home) reunited and then slowly transition Chompers back by about mid summer. Mom ended up moving with the siblings and kept in touch with SW but she later found out mom was lying about where she was living and such. The siblings ended up getting removed again in the early fall. During that time, she saw baby twice in about 5 months. For the last few months, they've been doing a weekly supervised visit for a couple hours with all siblings. Mom has mostly showed but missed a couple recently. She hasn't held a job for longer than a couple weeks and hasn't done classes she needs. Dad has been in jail the whole time and was sentenced to prison a couple months ago and the sentence was longer than they expected he would get.

Prior to the 1 year plan review/dad's sentencing, SW was talking how dad was the more responsible sounding parent (despite charges being related to children) and how we wouldn't be looking at changing the goal to adoption primary until at least the 2 year mark(presumably to give him a chance to work a plan when he got out). Now that dad's sentence is longer, she has told him they can't keep a kid in the system that long and he needs to start thinking about adoption and passed the same message along to mom. SW also said if things stay the way they've been going, she'd be changing goal at 18 months since that's the first review after the 15 month mark.

At our last couple home visits, I feel like in her mind SW has shifted gears because she talks about mom needing to realize her kids will be adopted and stuff..but I don't know how much to read into that kind of stuff???

I am listed as adoptive resource for Chompers and have been for about 10 months and she's already asked the other new foster family if they'd consider being resources for the other siblings.

I know I need to proceed with caution but when the GAL makes comments about how it's always telling to see the direction things are going based on what parents aren't doing and the coordinator has expressed she thinks it may go to TPR, it's so hard not to let my guard down a little and think maybe it could happen?

Any thoughts in either direction? Anyone have parents who turn things around completely after a year plus of doing almost nothing and digging a further hole with a failed reunification with siblings?

Advertisement

SquishySnugglebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
SharedTheJourney
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Thoughts/Feedback?

"SW but she later found out mom was lying about where she was living and such"

and

"Dad has been in jail the whole time and was sentenced to prison a couple months ago and the sentence was longer than they expected he would get.",

and

"Prior to the 1 year plan review/dad's sentencing, SW was talking how dad was the more responsible sounding parent (despite charges being related to children) and how we wouldn't be looking at changing the goal to adoption primary until at least the 2 year mark(presumably to give him a chance to work a plan when he got out)."

Others may have MUCH better idea on route--I don't have a clue. Sorry. However, I couldn't help note that the SW was not focused Dad's causes for jail and time for him, and for her, she was focused on the process of time. Strange. Seems there is more they are not disclosing out. Stay strong, foster care is akin to a roller coaster ride!
SharedTheJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #3
Futurefam
Registered Users

So if I read the facts the goal is still reunification until the next review after 15 months then it will be a concurrent goal or just adoption? Concurrent or double goals are the normal here after goal change. Concurrent adoption/reunification while pursue of TPR. It's a long, L O N G struggle when TPR is on the table here and concurrent goals are in play. If the GAL and SW are to agree that reunification is not possible then hopefully a judge will move in a direction for all.
Past: 9 children that have moved on...
Futurefam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
ruth74
Registered Users

It varies so much from place to place that it's really hard to tell. Here, the goal for all infants is concurrent from the start, and they move for TPR at 12 months if parents aren't making significant progress. I have a friend in another state who had a baby 2 years without parents doing anything (except showing up very sporadically for visits and about half the court dates) before the state filed for TPR.
ruth74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
SquishySnugglebug
Registered Users

Sorry, I should have clarified. The goal has been concurrent reunification/adoption with reunification primary since the beginning. It would still be concurrent but the change that would come at the 18 months would be to adoption primary/reunification secondary.

Regarding dad, I do agree that the focus of the SW was strange. I guess even the DA told her that he was surprised she was trying to advocate for the parent who was the primary reason the kids were in care. There definitely could be more to the story but I feel like she felt like since mom wasn't doing what she needed, dad was the last possible chance to keep the kids with a bio parent and he talked about how he wanted to get things together when he got out (when they thought it'd be shorter).
Old 01-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #6
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree it varies too much to guess. Here standard procedure is a goal of reunification to start with concurrent goal of adoption. At 12 months the main goal is supposed to be switched to adoption (guardianship in some cases) with concurrent goal of reunification. TPR is supposed to be filed at 15 months. That's how things are *supposed* to happen, whether that's how they go or not is anyone's guess for any particular case.

For us things have been pretty close to standard. We were told from the beginning our case was more likely than most to end in adoption. Goal was switched to adoption a bit before 12 months and I'm hoping things proceed smoothly but not counting on it!! It is definitely an emotional rollercoaster!

Last edited by jen_batten; 01-04-2017 at 02:22 PM.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #7
FosteringInfants
Registered Users

It sounds like they'll be adopted. My red flags-where's family? Why aren't they adopting the kids together? I'm thinking those two things will happen before chompers is adopted by you.
FosteringInfants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:33 PM   #8
SquishySnugglebug
Registered Users

FosteringInfants..sent you a pm
The jist of it is that I live in a small county where it's difficult to find a foster family to take 3 kids and certain circumstances at the time of removal were involved in separating the kids. They Could place them back together but the space is the issue and they have also said that she is bonded to me now.
As far as family, based on the past, I am not sure there's a viable option or sometime willing to take them but I know they've been asked.