Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2018, 10:42 PM   #1
guntersvillebride
Registered Users
seller

Can someone explain the NB Simplex love?

So we are TTC #3 and I have just started picking up a couple things here and there to pad my newborn stash. I heard nothing but great things about NB Simplex when I had my first two babies, but never owned any. So when I saw some listed here for cheap, I snatched them up. I got them a couple days ago, and while the diapers themselves are in great shape, I found myself confused. It's a prefold. Sewn in a cover. No buttery soft, stay dry inner. No special internal second gusset. It really just looks like a prefold and a flap of prefold sewn into a PUL cover. So someone please school me on why these are so loved. Especially when they are so expensive! Because it seems like I could achieve a very similar concept with a padfolded prefold in a cover for A LOT less money and not much more effort.

So will someone explain the Simplex love?

Advertisement

guntersvillebride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:58 PM   #2
abemom2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can someone explain the NB Simplex love?

They usually fit nicely, and are quite absorbent. It's often more convenient than 2 pieces. And for those of us who prefer only natural fabrics, rather than a stay dry it does the job. They also fit a linger range of time than the typical NB diaper. Though they don't fit my kids for a few weeks, bec they're quite petite. Though my kids can wear them until 4 months old.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:04 AM   #3
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

I never had any with my two either but drooled over the idea. I loved the sized simplex with my first. He wore medium until potty learning (we did ec). From how I understand it the sized is similar to the nb except for the side snaps and umbilical snap. Yes a prefold or padfolded Flat would do the job for a lot less. But this is an aio with pocket option for a doubler. It's trim and washes cleanly. It's nice to just grab one piece.

Would you mind posting detailed pics? I'd love to the the nb simplex
Old 01-28-2018, 12:16 PM   #4
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

I haven't used any, but I have some for this next baby. Here's why: I had a lot of family here, plus DH home helping when my first was born, and while I could've asked them to do prefolds and covers, I really wanted them all to have a positive experience with cloth diapers, so I bought aios for them and prefolds/covers for me. Eventually DH learned to do both, but always chose aios when available, and now that DH knows they exist, I'll probably never convince him to do prefolds again. He didn't like the way the snappi stretched across the stomach and it was just plain less convenient. We weren't very good at it, either - we almost always leaked into the cover and had to wash both anyway.

So...DS was over 8 lbs at birth and none of the aios that I had could contain his pee after about 2 weeks (10 lbs). Everything I've read says simplex are much more absorbent than the other NB aios, so I'm putting my money there. Also, they have room to stuff extra absorbency if I need it.

I did love the buttery softness of the fleece liners of my other diapers, though. I was sad to let them go, but they just didn't work for us. This time around I also have some Tots Bots Teeny Fits to try - they are also purportedly very absorbent, but do have that lusciously soft stay-dry liner that lays on top of the diaper (still a separate piece). Even without the fleece liners, they feel softer and squishier than simplex. They're made of binky(bamboo minky?). They're harder to come by, though. Check one out if you come across one - they feel awesome. But I can't speak to the performance of either. I can just drool over them.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:00 PM   #5
nebraskamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had these 5 years ago for our 2dd. I kept them for our newbie due in July.

They were my favorite (along with Imagine aio newborns, these are buttery soft, but they do out grown them faster). I only like snaps with newborns because the velcro on other brands always scratched my kiddo. I also love the snap down for the umbilical cord. They fit until my daughter was at least 3 months old and fit right at birth (7 lbs 14 oz). I never had any leaks (even without gussets). They washed and dried fast and clean every time. They were very fuss free and trim. I am not skilled at a pinning or using a snappi with prefolds, but I do love trifolded prefolds for older babies. At the time newborn diapers were new to me, and other brands always lacked something I wanted (i.e. only had velcro, too bulky, no snap down umbilical cord area, not absorbent enough. etc.) So, that's why we chose the Simplex. I did buy a Clotheez sized cover this time, it has all the things I want and is not huge. Somethings just weren't available 5 years ago, they might be available now, but I don't really want to do trial and error again. I'll just stick with what works. That's why we love them.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #6
guntersvillebride
Registered Users
seller

Thanks guys! I just wasn't really understanding why they were so pricey compared to other newborn diapers. And I guess I like the stay dry aspect, especially since my son could not stand to be damp and even the fleece liners would get bunched up and he'd be miserable. I do like the idea of increased absorbency and longer fit though. I'm hoping to love them since I bought 4!
guntersvillebride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:14 PM   #7
nebraskamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Blueberry Basix have fleece. I never had one, but they are fleece with microfiber instead of cotton. I don't know much else. You might be able to find them used, I don't know if they are making them anymore.

Last edited by nebraskamom; 01-28-2018 at 10:17 PM.
nebraskamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:16 PM   #8
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Also I have some blueberry mini deluxe pocket diapers that are fleece with a MF insert. They do t appear to make them anymore though. The part against the skin is fleece
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote