Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
What's cooking January 2019?

Half way through the month and I have yet to menu plan beyond breakfast. The only reason that's somehow because I want everyone to eat down the massive amounts of cereal we have stockpiled before it goes stale. So much cereal! Some the grandmas are responsible for.

Next I've been really interested in depression era cooking. I'm intrigued by the simplicity of it and while I might not like to eat it all I do like learning the tricks in case there is shortage.

What's cooking in your kitchen?

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What's cooking January 2019?

I have just figured out meals (again) so I will share. I have used the same dinner outline for years but struggle with breakfasts and lunches. I finally decided to just do what I like and have ingredients for everyone else to put together. So, omelets with lots of sauteed veggies for breakfast (plus homemade bread for the kids to make toast, and fruit, that's all they really want anyway)--I'm going to saute up a big batch of veggies at the beginning of the week and use a bit every day. And salads with lots of veggies for lunch--some of my kids will want that, the others have sandwich fixings and (healthy-ish version) boxed mac & cheese and more fruit and veggies for lunch options.

Our dinner menu I think I have shared before, it has been a lifesaver (I'm not good at decisions AT ALL and this saves me almost every day):
Sunday: baked potatoes, some meat dish or chef's salad, bread or cornbread
Monday: pasta (spaghetti, pasta salad, fettucini alfredo, pesto pasta, homemade mac & cheese), salad, homemade bread
Tuesday: beans & rice with toppings or taco salad
Wednesday: soup or seasonal meal and bread
Thursday: burritos or tostadas
Friday: pizza or black bean burgers (Pioneer Woman's black bean burgers are awesome), salad or oven fries
Saturday: waffles or other breakfast food (biscuits and gravy or pancakes, etc.) and possibly smoothies too
I do other things sometimes too but I try to always have ingredients on hand for these meals so I'm not scrambling at the last minute. It may not be exciting but it's better than nothing by far!
Old 01-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post
I have just figured out meals (again) so I will share. I have used the same dinner outline for years but struggle with breakfasts and lunches. I finally decided to just do what I like and have ingredients for everyone else to put together. So, omelets with lots of sauteed veggies for breakfast (plus homemade bread for the kids to make toast, and fruit, that's all they really want anyway)--I'm going to saute up a big batch of veggies at the beginning of the week and use a bit every day. And salads with lots of veggies for lunch--some of my kids will want that, the others have sandwich fixings and (healthy-ish version) boxed mac & cheese and more fruit and veggies for lunch options.

Our dinner menu I think I have shared before, it has been a lifesaver (I'm not good at decisions AT ALL and this saves me almost every day):
Sunday: baked potatoes, some meat dish or chef's salad, bread or cornbread
Monday: pasta (spaghetti, pasta salad, fettucini alfredo, pesto pasta, homemade mac & cheese), salad, homemade bread
Tuesday: beans & rice with toppings or taco salad
Wednesday: soup or seasonal meal and bread
Thursday: burritos or tostadas
Friday: pizza or black bean burgers (Pioneer Woman's black bean burgers are awesome), salad or oven fries
Saturday: waffles or other breakfast food (biscuits and gravy or pancakes, etc.) and possibly smoothies too
I do other things sometimes too but I try to always have ingredients on hand for these meals so I'm not scrambling at the last minute. It may not be exciting but it's better than nothing by far!

I love this. It's so practical. I wish I could have a soup day but only half of us love soup. I suppose I could offer an alternative. Usually it I make soup we have it for lunch.

I need to schedule lunch because when I don't I have teens who will start cooking and then what's in the fridge or the cupboard doesn't get used.

I'm going to make a list of breakfast possibilities for the week and they can work from that. I love veggie omelettes and that would work too if veggies are prepped. I already occasionally roast peppers and keep them in the fridge for my dh. Being more consistent wouldn't be a bad thing.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:34 PM   #4
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

My DH doesn't pack a lunch anymore, so although this SHOULD make meal planning easier, it's actually a little tricky, because I have to plan for leftovers. Soups, especially, seem to always make a huge pot that could last 4 meals. Stuff builds up in the fridge, and I have to plan leftovers for dinner like 3 nights a week, which pretty much throws off all meal planning. DS basically doesn't eat anything but cheerios these days, and I've been doing 16:8 intermittent fasting, so leftovers just aren't getting eaten. I do like to meal plan, though, so I'm not scrambling at 5pm every day. I just need to sit down with a calendar and figure out how to work it all in.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #5
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
My DH doesn't pack a lunch anymore, so although this SHOULD make meal planning easier, it's actually a little tricky, because I have to plan for leftovers. Soups, especially, seem to always make a huge pot that could last 4 meals. Stuff builds up in the fridge, and I have to plan leftovers for dinner like 3 nights a week, which pretty much throws off all meal planning. DS basically doesn't eat anything but cheerios these days, and I've been doing 16:8 intermittent fasting, so leftovers just aren't getting eaten. I do like to meal plan, though, so I'm not scrambling at 5pm every day. I just need to sit down with a calendar and figure out how to work it all in.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
I can see that being tough. I currently have a leftover potluck and I really need people to eat that down before I cook again. I did end up making pork for my dh and a veggie since they are poorly on their trip.

Could you freeze soup leftovers in smaller portions?
Old 01-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Experimenting with 2 different sourdough recipes today.

Roasting some peppers too.

Trying not to eat one of my experiments yet.