Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
lovermuffin
Registered Users
seller

Unhappy I can't get my 5 mo to sleep....

My DD will not fall asleep unless she is in my arms. Which is fine except I can never get anything done. My dishes are piling up and so is the laundry.

She will only fall asleep if I take her on a drive or a walk in the stoller or I nurse her to sleep. I don't have time to do all of that. I got to school full time, as well as be a full time mom and housewife. Lately, dinner has not been done in good timing and ike I said housework is at a stand still.

What can I do? What do you guys do? Am I teaching bad habits if I nurse her to sleep? Do I let her CIO, which I am not a fan of? Is there someway I can get her to sleep without crying?

I've tried music and baby sounds, binky, comfort toys?

Help! and FAST. She is so tired right now and I don't know what else to do?

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I can't get my 5 mo to sleep....

So sorry--- Will a swing work?

I wouldn't let a 5 month old CIO. Maybe start with nursing her to sleep and slowly work on putting her down when she is partially asleep and work you way to putting her to bed awake.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
tcmt81
Registered Users
seller

There is nothing wrong with the nursing to sleep! It is a great tool. Actually my daughter did just fine when we finally fully weaned her at 18 months, and before that she was nursing to sleep. Also for naps, I highly recommend trying a swing. The fisher price rainforest (or whatever they replaced it with) swing is awesome.

Also your DD is old enough to babywear on your back in a mei tai or other carrier, so you have that option to help you do housework if the swing doesn't work.

Maybe a playpen too when she is awake?

Last edited by tcmt81; 03-31-2011 at 05:37 PM.
tcmt81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
lovermuffin
Registered Users
seller

She will just cry if I leave the room. I refuse to spend the money on those mei tais. So expensive.

I have the Fisher price rainforest. She just wont fall asleep in it anymore. She wants to see the world. If she doesn't nap well, she wont sleep at night well. It wouldn't be such a big deal nursing her to sleep if she would transer well after she has fallen asleep.

Did I mention I still wrap her because otherwise she would never ever sleep. UGH!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
lovermuffin
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
So sorry--- Will a swing work?

I wouldn't let a 5 month old CIO. Maybe start with nursing her to sleep and slowly work on putting her down when she is partially asleep and work you way to putting her to bed awake.
This is what we usually do but latey it is not helping.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
AniBee
Registered Users
seller

Do you rush to her side the moment she cries? Maybe wait a few minutes to see if she settles on her own. I usually wait 3 minutes to see if DS2 will self-soothe & go back to sleep. About 50% of the time he does. Can you put her to sleep & then transfer her to her crib/bassinet/wherever she sleeps? Sometimes DS2 just can't seem to get to sleep on his own, but if I hold him & put him to sleep & wait about 10 minutes or so I can put him in his crib & 9x out of 10 he'll stay asleep & nap peacefully for quite a while. When you transfer her, how long do you wait after she's fallen asleep? You def. have to wait until they're in a deep enough sleep. I often test by kind of adjusting my body in a way that moves DS around a bit & if he stays asleep I know he can be transferred.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

It seems to me like the cost of a mei tie (or ergo or other carrier) would be worth it to save your sanity. My ergo is more valuable to me than gold many days!!

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
lovermuffin
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniBee
Do you rush to her side the moment she cries? Maybe wait a few minutes to see if she settles on her own. I usually wait 3 minutes to see if DS2 will self-soothe & go back to sleep. About 50% of the time he does. Can you put her to sleep & then transfer her to her crib/bassinet/wherever she sleeps? Sometimes DS2 just can't seem to get to sleep on his own, but if I hold him & put him to sleep & wait about 10 minutes or so I can put him in his crib & 9x out of 10 he'll stay asleep & nap peacefully for quite a while. When you transfer her, how long do you wait after she's fallen asleep? You def. have to wait until they're in a deep enough sleep. I often test by kind of adjusting my body in a way that moves DS around a bit & if he stays asleep I know he can be transferred.
I can put her to sleep and she will be deeply asleep and the minute I lay her down to rest she wakes up.

Who sells the mei tai or ergo? Ill look into it. But id hate to but it and it still not work. I just can't see her falling asleep in it let alone being transferred to it. Ya know?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would highly recommend you invest in the No Cry Sleep Solution - it's a much gentler "sleep training" tool and not CIO. CIO doesn't work for my family...and the NCSS was lifesaving to us.

in the mean time, I would highly recommend you invest in a carrier of some sort. I love my MTs and they are LIFESAVERS for the kid who needs to be held 24/7. DD1 was that way and the only way I got anything done was to put her in it and go. There's nothing wrong with BFing to sleep...or holding your baby, but I can sympathize with not getting anything done.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
tabbytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We bought a sleep sheep it's the only way my lil girl will fall asleep if she isn't held she is also colicy and the sleep sheep wins everytime!
tabbytoes is offline   Reply With Quote