Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2011, 02:33 AM   #1
anne_josh
Registered Users
seller

At my wit's end--baby having trouble with bowel movements, nothing helps!

Please, please, if anyone has had their baby have an issue like this.. please just post and tell me I'm not crazy, even if you never found anything that helps. I figure with this many moms and this many kids, someone can relate..

DS2 is six months old. Since he was a few days old, he's been having trouble pooping. Not to put too fine a point on it. He starts out with squirming and then grunts, groans, fusses, strains, and progresses to flat out crying/screaming. The doctor told us sometimes if babies are having issues in this department we can put a little vaseline on a baby wipe and wipe his bottom, and that will make him go. It works, but he doesn't particularly like it, which is understandable.

The doctor also thinks (she said this very nicely, though) that we're correlating his BM's with him being fussy, and sometimes babies are just fussy and it might not always be that he needs to go. But I really don't think that is it because it always lines up perfectly. It's always the same pattern. And once his gastrointestinal system is happy, I can hold him and rock him for five minutes and he's OUT. He's a good sleeper unless his stomach hurts. He generally sleeps 8 hours at night. He's not a generally fussy baby and is only upset when he has a tummyache.

Anyone? Please? Anything? I am SO tired of this and I know he is too.

Edit: he is breastfed only, no solids, sensitive to soy which I don't eat any more, and is taking Zantac for reflux.

Advertisement

Last edited by anne_josh; 04-01-2011 at 02:40 AM.
anne_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:51 AM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: At my wit's end--baby having trouble with bowel movements, nothing helps!

Sounds like there's a good chance he has other food allergies or sensitivities. Soy, dairy, and nuts are often linked, so I would try eliminating dairy and nuts as well as soy.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
Trixie
Registered Users
seller

You are not crazy. My oldest had similar problems. And the only thing that helped- and it only helped occasionally- was placing him straight across my lap and patting his butt while I supported his head. It would sometimes make his tummy ache go away and he would fall asleep.

Good luck!
Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I agree that dairy could be the culprit. It can take up to 3 weeks for it to get out of his and your system, so give it a good chance.

Sent from my Xoom using DS Forum
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
pcjs
Registered Users

I know this will not help you but you are 100% right and I don't believe babies are fussy for no reason. If you can't poop, it hurts.

We used one formula and it made our son poop - we'd give him just 3 oz a day (or he'd over poop ) and we started with puree prunes in his cereal and then at some point straight prunes. I did not want to medicate nor was comfortable trying anything else. The prunes were the best but I put off trying them till my neighbor told me to as well, ick, but they worked like a charm.

We had a major reflux baby and now he's a minor reflux man and I don't think there is a correlation between the two but if you aren't seeing a GI doc, I would.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
mommyof3armywife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you are not crazy Troy was like that since day one also and until I changed docs when he was about 5 years old on one would listen to me the poor boy had to suffer that long. Now he is on an over the counter med and does well but if I take him off like just this last month he goes right back. I would talk to your doc again and if you don't get anywhere ask for another doc this is nothing to mess around with.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, not crazy at all. Trust your instincts. DS had something similar when he was about 2mo. He went from pooping 6+ times/day to once or twice, or even every other day. And he would grunt, strain, and cry until his poop came out. When I mentioned it to his doc, he suggested I drink more water, which would help the breastmilk pass through his system better. I was skeptical but it worked for us. So my first suggestion is to take a look at your water intake and try increasing if you're not drinking 8+ glasses a day. I also agree with the pp that it could be allergy related.

ETA: When we were having this problem my MIL said she always had luck getting her boys to poop if she stuck a thermometer in their rectum. They would poop while trying to push the thermometer out of their butt. Didn't work for me since my son doesn't mind the thermometer, but it could work for you.

Last edited by blessedwifenmama; 04-01-2011 at 09:05 AM.
blessedwifenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Lovinmama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When you LO does go, is the poo hard?

My DS starting having trouble going #2 around 6 months. It wasn't the food (cut many things out of his diet to test). We tried many different things to help him, pruns, pears, juice, water, then even anal stimulation. Nothing helped for more than a week so now my son is on Miralax in his milk once a day (1/2 a cap full) and goes once a day with no issues. He use to fuss, strain, grunt, and then all out cry.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
angelina_lover
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son will be 3 this month and for the last 4 months or so we have been dealing with this very issue. He will squeeze his bum together and scream. He can hold it for 2wks. He's on miralax a couple a days a week, nothing else works, not diet, exercise changes or suppositories. The boy can hold it through a suppository, that's insane. He is so sweet but when he doesn't poop he is so miserable and fussy which is extremely understandable however very difficult. With the miralax a couple days he will have a soft poo but will still try to hold it Hang in there, I hope for us both our children can overcome this somehow.

Last edited by angelina_lover; 04-01-2011 at 10:01 AM.
angelina_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
jcogar1
Registered Users
seller

If you think something is up with your baby, then do whatever you have to do to get him or her some relief. You know your baby best. I say this, firmly but kindly, because of an incident I had with my daughter at 7mo. She would all out scream and have a fit lasting minutes to hours. Totally not my kid. Took her to her pedi after 24 hours of this...and they kinda blew me off....right up until she "threw a fit" in there office. Ended up being intususception (sorta bowel obstruction on babies). So, you know your kid. Be persistent best of luck to you mama.
jcogar1 is offline   Reply With Quote