Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
ingodslove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Toddler BF's constantly!

HELP! I can't stay hydrated!

DD (18 mo.) is still nursing like, 8 times in 24 hours. 4 times at night!

I can't do this!!! It is hurting my marriage!

She's just not that into food. She'll eat a few bites unless it is her favorites like avocado and rice.

She's very bright and I tried to explain, especially the night times, and it seems like she is trying to sooth herself to sleep again at night, but eventually, I feel so bad about her calling for milk that I just give in. I'm just, ugh, worn out.

Ideas?

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2018, 07:34 PM   #2
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Toddler BF's constantly!

How is it hurting your marriage?

Give her milk in a cup? Water? She may be thirsty.
MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #3
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you can't do this and it's hurting your marriage...then don't do it. It's ok to set limits. If night nursing is what's bothering you, cut down and/or stop. Yes, it might be hard on you/her at first, but it won't last long, and and you will probably all benefit from a more restful nights sleep.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:59 PM   #4
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

I'm so sorry you're having a rough patch. Nursing a baby or toddler is difficult sometimes. In particular, 18 month olds are going through a developmental leap. There is literature that says at 18 months, the toddler gets another dose of colostrum as an immune boost as their system is developing. Great resources include KellyMom.com. You do not have to wean if you don't want to. You can set limits if you do want to. Have you reached out to a local LaLecheLeague leader? They're trained for one on one support. They can listen to the details of your situation and help you. What do you feel you need? What does your heart want to do? You're not alone. Hugs. Mothering is not easy. This season and this moment is guaranteed to change. Focus on this moment. Take one baby step.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:02 PM   #5
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

https://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/toddlernursing/
Old 01-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #6
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mot...agitation-baa/
https://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/velcrochild/
https://kellymom.com/nutrition/start...toddler-foods/
Old 01-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #7
ingodslove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank-you for your thoughts!
Some nights she was nursing 5 times a night and I couldn't think clearly at all there for a while. One night I woke up and realized- oh my gosh- I didn't offer her anything to DRINK all day! So, yes, she was thirsty! lol. We immediately started offering her drinks during the day and that cut down the requests for milk by quite a lot! I think it was extra bad because during a cold spell we run the heaters more in the van, etc. and the air is drier. Poor kid!

It was hurting my marriage because she was nursing like 5 times a night and my husband works ten hour days, we have three other kids to take care of and well, sleep became the top priority for evenings, not "couple time".

Now she is nursing three times during the day and two times at night. This is much better! I feel like I can be a human being again, and "couple time" is happening again.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #8
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingodslove View Post
Thank-you for your thoughts!
Some nights she was nursing 5 times a night and I couldn't think clearly at all there for a while. One night I woke up and realized- oh my gosh- I didn't offer her anything to DRINK all day! So, yes, she was thirsty! lol. We immediately started offering her drinks during the day and that cut down the requests for milk by quite a lot! I think it was extra bad because during a cold spell we run the heaters more in the van, etc. and the air is drier. Poor kid!

It was hurting my marriage because she was nursing like 5 times a night and my husband works ten hour days, we have three other kids to take care of and well, sleep became the top priority for evenings, not "couple time".

Now she is nursing three times during the day and two times at night. This is much better! I feel like I can be a human being again, and "couple time" is happening again.

I'm so glad everything is better!!! Push that water, Mama!!!!

MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote