Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #71
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Angry.. another "nursing in church" vent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeeturd View Post
Maybe when you talk to the pastor he'll consider wiring up a room so you can nurse and hear the sermon. Then everybody is happy.
This would piss me off even more if I were the OP. Not only is it against the law, but it just perpetuates the myth that BFing is wrong and needs to be hidden away. I would not be happy with this solution.

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #72
aimeeturd
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtr4me

This would piss me off even more if I were the OP. Not only is it against the law, but it just perpetuates the myth that BFing is wrong and needs to be hidden away. I would not be happy with this solution.
Personally if I lived close to the OP I would go to her church and breastfeed my baby in the same pew as Mrs Busybody but I was trying to think of a solution that would keep this ridiculous woman from continuing to harass the OP and keep her in church. As frustrating as it is, nobody WANTS to be involved in drama at church but I totally get your point.
aimeeturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #73
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Can I throw out what I believe to be the model "correct" stance that a church should take on BFing?

Our church had an awesome approach. We were a church of about 200, with young families having babies on a monthly basis. Our Childrens ministry pastor met with all the moms to ask what THEY wanted for bfing comfort. Some wanted a lounge jn the ladies room (really), some wanted extra rocking chairs in the nursery so they could nurse in with all the babies and then return to service. Some wanted a special room with speakers airing the sermon and a one-way window so they could see the pastor preaching but not e seen, some wanted a special row in the back of the room, and some were fine just nursing in their seat jn the mddle of the congregation.
So what did our church do?

All of it. They provided all if that. And they announces from the stage on a weekly basks that nursing mothers were welcome to use any of this options.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #74
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
Can I throw out what I believe to be the model "correct" stance that a church should take on BFing?

Our church had an awesome approach. We were a church of about 200, with young families having babies on a monthly basis. Our Childrens ministry pastor met with all the moms to ask what THEY wanted for bfing comfort. Some wanted a lounge jn the ladies room (really), some wanted extra rocking chairs in the nursery so they could nurse in with all the babies and then return to service. Some wanted a special room with speakers airing the sermon and a one-way window so they could see the pastor preaching but not e seen, some wanted a special row in the back of the room, and some were fine just nursing in their seat jn the mddle of the congregation.
So what did our church do?

All of it. They provided all if that. And they announces from the stage on a weekly basks that nursing mothers were welcome to use any of this options.
This made me want to cry. How dang cool is that?!? I wish we had options like that (and open-mindedness like that!). We have a mother's room with 2 not-all-that-comfortable rocking chairs that usually stinks to high heaven because people change diapers in there and it's not all that well ventilated. (And there are usually more than 2 moms needing to nurse). I don't usually use the mother's room on principle--I nurse in a pew near the back or side door and take the kiddo out in to the hallway/foyer to burp if he/she is being noisy or disruptive. Nobody has said anything to me (yet). But then again, I'm kind of of the mindset that if you have a problem with me nursing my baby, that's YOUR problem, not mine.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #75
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would be peeved. If your pastor doesn't stand up for you, I would seriously consider switching churches.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #76
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

We actually nade room to go nurse & still watch/ hear sermon. I would be furious.h I agree we are adults & we need to act like it. I nurse in small group at church or kids area men or women present. No issues. I would almost say names to pastor & he might be able to tell u beter to handle them. It might seem like taddlingg but u have right to b at church just like them. Do u sit where? We have balcony & back part too that lots sit with little ones........
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #77
rileykidmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You're totally welcome to come to our worship (in Indiana). We are home birth, breastfeeding and large family friendly. Two of our member families have 10 children (each); it's just too much fun on Sunday! God bless you; maybe God has another plan for you someplace else.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #78
dericasmom
Registered Users
seller

I hope your pastor is supportive. If not and you choose to look for another church or if you choose to stay, whatever you decide will be right for your family. In secular settings (restaurants, etc.) it might be easier to adopt the "it's their problem" attitude (which it totally IS their problem, you have done NOTHING wrong and should be able to feed your baby without harrassment) but in a family/church setting I can understand why you may not want to rock the boat. If these people have a problem with your breastfeeding, maybe they should put a cover over their heads so they won't be able to see!
dericasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:11 AM   #79
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410
Jesus was breast fed....just say'n

perhaps you need to bring a nursing cover, to put over the uncomfortable guy.....or this one....(j/k...mostly)
Lol I love that cartoon!
Old 10-19-2012, 03:38 AM   #80
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
So sorry you have to deal with this at church. I've never had anyone say anything to me at my church or my parent's church. At mine I will nurse wherever. I nurse in our class and during service. When I am in our small class I will cover somewhat just to be respectful and I am not a person who likes to cover. I've also left class and sat in the sanctuary to nurse. I do enjoy being in the quiet sanctuary with my baby.

At my parent's church they have a nursing mothers room with chairs and a tv to watch the service. I really like it and I have both used it and chosen to nurse in their service.

If anyone had a problem with me nursing I would go straight to them and "ask what their problem is" but perhaps nicer. If it couldn't be resolved between us then I would involve the pastor. As much as I like to be right and get my way I know that I also need to be respectful of how others may feel in all matters, not just BFing. BUT I think others also need to be respectful of me and my feelings. It shouldn't just be you that "bends" IMO.