Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nitrous Oxide??

I was looking at my midwives website as I need to make a decision about working with someone else and they are now offering Nitrous Oxide for deliveries.

I haven't heard of such a thing since back in the day. Anyone heard of this?

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nitrous Oxide??

I've watched a few births from England & Europe where they do this. I guess it lost favor in the US but has continued elsewhere.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #3
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

It was popular in the past. There are a few episodes where it is used on Call the midwife. My grandmother had it with my mother.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #4
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did not realize it was still used abroad.

I saw it on the Call the Midwife too.

I found am article about the announcement they made about it and the other area hospitals stated that they needed to still evaluate safety.

I actually am looking at going with a ob right now.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #5
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

Check into safety studies about nitrous oxide. My kids dentist insists that it's not safe for pregnant women, so I looked into it.

There was some info, not enough for conclusive results, that linked it to infertility? And other issues about how it is metabolized by women and newborns.
I don't even remember the specifics, but the study was done in England or Great Britain with midwives, assistants and laboring women.
Expecting #4 August 2015
bellx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellx1 View Post
Check into safety studies about nitrous oxide. My kids dentist insists that it's not safe for pregnant women, so I looked into it.
There was some info, not enough for conclusive results, that linked it to infertility? And other issues about how it is metabolized by women and newborns.
I don't even remember the specifics, but the study was done in England or Great Britain with midwives, assistants and laboring women.
I was shocked that they offered it. My one and only experience was for wisdom teeth removal and not only was I completely passed out. I was hysterically crying when my family came to pick me up and I didn't recognize them. They had to use a wheelchair to get me to the car. I didn't come to until several hours after being home. I don't recall any of it.

It rubbed the wrong way it was advertised too. Like it was the latest and greatest "Come learn more!" Then they put an article in the paper spotlighting a herbalist who talked about how natural it was.

They seem to have strayed from my idea of a midwife so I'm going to switch to the ob/gyn they collaborate with. If they are going to be medical then I might as well go with the ob/gyn.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #7
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

They use it routinely in other countries (UK, NZ, AUS are the ones I know of), it's referred to as "gas and air". It's not the same as twilight sleep or partial sedation or anything like that. I wish my hospital had offered it. I was given the option of narcotics, an epidural, or nothing. NO2 seems to be a nice option to get through the toughest parts of transition, it's out of your system quickly, and it doesn't require needles or immobility. I'm a big proponent of natural birth, and I think this is a great option for hospitals to start offering in place of more heavy duty interventions. I know at least a couple of midwives who have expressed a wish to carry it or be allowed to offer it.

If you google, you can see a few videos of women using it and again, it's not like what they use to make you pass out for a dental procedure or what they used to do to women in the past.

Here's a good video.

Last edited by Belle; 06-09-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:41 PM   #8
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They now offer it at both of the major hospitals in southern CT. I intended to use it for my birth, but they didn't have time to set it up. I did, however, get to use it when my placenta was manually removed. I can't say how much it actually helped other than to distract me from screaming at the doctor. Nitrous is offered by the hospitals so it is available whether ob gyn or midwife assisted. It only lasts a few seconds. From what I learned in childbirth class, it doesn't take away the pain, but it's supposed to make you not care about it. That wasn't the case for my placenta removal, but maybe it took the edge off a little. Oh and they also said that lots of other hospitals in the US offer it now, so I expect we will hear more about it.
GreyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:28 PM   #9
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

At my dentist and kids dentist the nitrous oxide use doesn't give a twilight effect or sleep either. They're either using such a small dose or? But the dentist still insisted that I couldn't even stand next to the person receiving it.

Still, the study I read once did show some effects on the female attendants exposure to residual NO2
Expecting #4 August 2015
bellx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #10
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyMum View Post
They now offer it at both of the major hospitals in southern CT. I intended to use it for my birth, but they didn't have time to set it up. I did, however, get to use it when my placenta was manually removed. I can't say how much it actually helped other than to distract me from screaming at the doctor. Nitrous is offered by the hospitals so it is available whether ob gyn or midwife assisted. It only lasts a few seconds. From what I learned in childbirth class, it doesn't take away the pain, but it's supposed to make you not care about it. That wasn't the case for my placenta removal, but maybe it took the edge off a little. Oh and they also said that lots of other hospitals in the US offer it now, so I expect we will hear more about it.
The placental removal sounds excruciating.

The switching was helped along by other factors. This was just another factor in my decision. My ob still collaborates closely with those midwives. Although I have to say that in over five years I have never heard them mention or advertise using birthing tubs or any other natural pain management available.

But like you mentioned this seems to be a growing thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
They use it routinely in other countries (UK, NZ, AUS are the ones I know of), it's referred to as "gas and air". It's not the same as twilight sleep or partial sedation or anything like that. I wish my hospital had offered it. I was given the option of narcotics, an epidural, or nothing. NO2 seems to be a nice option to get through the toughest parts of transition, it's out of your system quickly, and it doesn't require needles or immobility. I'm a big proponent of natural birth, and I think this is a great option for hospitals to start offering in place of more heavy duty interventions. I know at least a couple of midwives who have expressed a wish to carry it or be allowed to offer it.

If you google, you can see a few videos of women using it and again, it's not like what they use to make you pass out for a dental procedure or what they used to do to women in the past.

Here's a good video.

I'm going to watch that when I'm more alert. I know it isn't continuous and that the woman controls when it is administered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellx1 View Post
At my dentist and kids dentist the nitrous oxide use doesn't give a twilight effect or sleep either. They're either using such a small dose or? But the dentist still insisted that I couldn't even stand next to the person receiving it.

Still, the study I read once did show some effects on the female attendants exposure to residual NO2
There must be reasons it hasn't been in use for labor here for a long time.

I've managed the last four unmedicated. I'm very anti-meds for myself because if my reactions during my first birth. But I know that going unmedicated isn't for everyone and I'm curious to see if this becomes the new (old) big thing.