Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2015, 11:38 PM   #11
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Nitrous Oxide??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
There must be reasons it hasn't been in use for labor here for a long time.
I don't know what those reason are when it comes to NO2, but at the same time, we banned diclectin here in the U.S. 15 years ago based on bad science and lawsuits and they've been using it in Canada and elsewhere ever since. And now it's marketed here as diclegis and insanely expensive as a prescription. Yet almost any doc or midwife will tell you to take a Unisom/B12 combo for morning sickness during pregnancy. So I'm not convinced that the reasons we don't use it here are good ones. I mean, the things we do use a lot here (epidurals and narcots and pitocin) seem to be way more invasive, IMO.

But, I've just started reading this article and it looks to address most of the concerns brought up in this thread, including the dentist thing. ETA: It seems that anesthesiologists stand to lose a lot of money if NO2 is used more widely.

Quote:
I've managed the last four unmedicated. I'm very anti-meds for myself because if my reactions during my first birth. But I know that going unmedicated isn't for everyone and I'm curious to see if this becomes the new (old) big thing.
I have had all four of mine unmedicated as well, mostly to avoid a cascade of interventions. But, that's why I think introducing NO2 is such a great option, precisely because it can be used to avoid a whole bunch of more invasive interventions that we are already using here in the states. I don't think any meds (NO2 included) are risk free, I just think NO2 carries a lot less risk than an epidural or IV narcotics, and I think it is a great option for women who just want a tiny bit of something to help them through transition.

I also don't want to bash dentists, but I've heard stories of far too many docs refusing to prescribe stuff to pregnant or nursing women because of their lack of knowledge about how it will affect the baby. This is a good thing in general, but a bad thing if the drug happens to be safe for pregnancy and a woman can't get it because of the doc's ignorance. I've had a dentist tell me not to take motrin while I was nursing because it might get to the baby. I've had my GP tell me to go to my OB for a routine problem because he didn't want to be responsible for prescribing meds to me while preggo. I just don't think it's their area of expertise in a lot of cases.

Advertisement

Last edited by Belle; 06-10-2015 at 12:01 AM.
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:17 AM   #12
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

So I did a little more poking. Apparently, this is not something that I'm going to get a clear answer on. Midwives and anesthesiologists don't play nice.

The CNM midwife/epidemiologist who championed its use in the states did so after completing a study about pain relief in labor. (JP Rooks) She learned about the use of NO in other countries. She proceeded to publish articles in support of the use of NO in an effort to promote its use. She also worked with companies to develop the portable NO units that are now being used as portable units were no longer being manufactured. (I'm guessing that was a paid gig.) She's also testified against homebirth in Oregan. (Interesting. That must have been a difficult testimony.)

More reading:

http://www.porterinstrument.com/~por...fe-Article.pdf

Studies I find written by anesthesiologist cite the side possible side effects: nauseous, dizziness, possible loss of consciousness. But that seems to me to be a possible side effect of giving birth. However, I do keep coming up with complaints by dental office personnel who feel that they and their unborn children have been harmed my prolonged exposure to HO systems. So maybe the danger is not so much for the mother and child but for the staff.

I think this is going to be one of those time will tell type situations.

Personally, the way I labor requires focus and awareness of the ebb and flow of contractions. The gas apparently takes the feeling of caring about the contraction away? My biggest worry is that the labor tub will be in use when I arrive to deliver. I'll have to drag the nurses to the shower if that happens.

Anyone use NO for dental work and not have such an insane reaction to it?

Last edited by Agla; 06-10-2015 at 04:33 AM. Reason: words
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:51 AM   #13
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've never used gas for dental work. However, my current dentist said they will not do any dental work or even a cleaning if I get pregnant.

I said "So you won't even do a cleaning with no Novocaine"
Him: "Nothing"
me: "I could understand not wanting to do x-ray but ..."
Him: "It's a liability issue. We can't touch you if you are pregnant. Do we need to test? "

And even though I said I knew I was not pregnant... they made me pee in a cup before they would do any dental work.

So I don't imagine Dentists & Midwives play nice either... lol.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:53 AM   #14
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

The 3 kids have all had NO2 and no reaction to it. However they get 2 little puffs of it and that's it, so I'm not sure of the actual dose strength. Their ages when they last had it were 21mo, 5y, 8y. It really seems to barely do anything for them so I'm sure the dose is very small.

My dentist will work on pregnant women, with OBGYN approval. This would include cleanings and fillings. You can only get novocain (I think) instead of the dual medication they often use. The second med restricts blood flow locally so that the novocain remains at the area longer. There is a slight chance of them becoming systemic hence why they won't give both to the pregnant woman (don't want to decrease blood flow to baby).
Expecting #4 August 2015
bellx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:58 AM   #15
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

https://www.birthinternational.com/a...aughing-matter

Here is the study I had read previously. Idk if there is more updated info out on the internet, but it seems that there isn't much info on how it may affect the laboring woman or baby. This article is more about how it affects healthcare workers.

Personally, the main reason I go natural is because of the risks of medications. I understand that there can be some very painful things happen in labor due to babys poor position, tearing, placental removal etc and in those times perhaps I'd consent to meds, but I've been fortunate to have normal deliveries and have pushed through without pain medications.
Expecting #4 August 2015
Old 06-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #16
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm watching the video Belle linked right now. It looks like a tube with a mouth piece as opposed to a mask like I was picturing.

"It's like getting drunk without the drink."

Actually the video gives several different opinions about the experience some good, some not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
I've never used gas for dental work. However, my current dentist said they will not do any dental work or even a cleaning if I get pregnant.

I said "So you won't even do a cleaning with no Novocaine"
Him: "Nothing"
me: "I could understand not wanting to do x-ray but ..."
Him: "It's a liability issue. We can't touch you if you are pregnant. Do we need to test? "

And even though I said I knew I was not pregnant... they made me pee in a cup before they would do any dental work.

So I don't imagine Dentists & Midwives play nice either... lol.
I can't remember what dental procedure I needed but they were going to have me come in and do it while I was pregnant. I got there and I was so nauseous that I couldn't go through with it. So I know my dentist treats pregnant women. I know I get my regular cleanings too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellx1 View Post
The 3 kids have all had NO2 and no reaction to it. However they get 2 little puffs of it and that's it, so I'm not sure of the actual dose strength. Their ages when they last had it were 21mo, 5y, 8y. It really seems to barely do anything for them so I'm sure the dose is very small.

My dentist will work on pregnant women, with OBGYN approval. This would include cleanings and fillings. You can only get novocain (I think) instead of the dual medication they often use. The second med restricts blood flow locally so that the novocain remains at the area longer. There is a slight chance of them becoming systemic hence why they won't give both to the pregnant woman (don't want to decrease blood flow to baby).
That's interesting. I've not had any refusal of dental treatment with the exception of a root canal that needed replacement.

Quote:
https://www.birthinternational.com/a...aughing-matter

Here is the study I had read previously. Idk if there is more updated info out on the internet, but it seems that there isn't much info on how it may affect the laboring woman or baby. This article is more about how it affects healthcare workers.

Personally, the main reason I go natural is because of the risks of medications. I understand that there can be some very painful things happen in labor due to babys poor position, tearing, placental removal etc and in those times perhaps I'd consent to meds, but I've been fortunate to have normal deliveries and have pushed through without pain medications.
Thanks for the link. The contractions right after giving birth when you are nursing. I'm not going to lie I might consider something for that pain.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #17
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

Haha. I know. With my first I hardly noticed any after birth contractions. Then holy cow after my second I was like What in the World?! these contractions are bad! My mom just thought that was hilarious.
Expecting #4 August 2015
Old 06-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #18
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Haha. I know. With my first I hardly noticed any after birth contractions. Then holy cow after my second I was like What in the World?! these contractions are bad! My mom just thought that was hilarious.
I think they always catch me by surprise since I'm all caught up with the baby.

Someone mentioned vitamin B for nausea? This was the first pregnancy I've been told to try it.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:01 PM   #19
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I found a heating pad helped a lot with the nursing pain. ( It hurt more than the labor or the birth!)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:45 AM   #20
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
I found a heating pad helped a lot with the nursing pain. ( It hurt more than the labor or the birth!)
It's an ugly surprise.