Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #1
chandlrb
Registered Users
seller

Help Me!

Okay so I have cloth diapered two all the way to potty training, then #3 came along and things just have not worked out. Different washer/dryer, moved 3 times, different water at each place, postpartum depression, it's been a mess. But now I have a little guy who has another year in diapers and I really want to get him back in cloth. He's been in cloth here and there but the past four months 100% sposies.

We use 100% cotton prefolds or BGEs.
My old routine that never failed me was rinse, wash Charlie's Soap, rinse vinegar. Occasionally I would use a little bleach in the wash and then double rinse.
(We had well water then and an awesome clothesline in full sun)
Now we have had treated water from three different providers.
I have tried no vinegar, oxyclean, sun, original Tide. I tried washing my machine out because someone gave it to us and I wasn't sure what was in it. My regular laundry is having some issues as well. There is just a musty smell in there.
Anyway, we still have strong ammonia stink, and every time I put him in cloth he gets the kind of rash that welps his skin within 2 hours.

He also gets this rash if I put him in less expensive disposables, but it takes a little longer, usually a couple of days.

I feel like I have ruined my diapers trying so many different things. I am tired of buying disposables. I am tired of looking at my cloth diapers on a shelf.

Anyone have any advice to get me back on track?

Thanks for reading my novel!

Advertisement

chandlrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:43 PM   #2
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help Me!

Bless your heart Mama! I'm so sorry for your frustration. It sounds to me like it's got to be the water conditions. Have you tried a water softener? I'm told Calgon is good but I don't know...

Have you considered flats instead of prefolds? They get clean way easier which of course I'm sure know.

For some reason, prefolds don't wash well for me and I have soft water and use Tide. It seems I'm the only one who can't get prefolds clean! Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:10 PM   #3
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

How much Tide and Sun did you use? Have you added bleach to the hot wash? A lot of people bleach with every single diaper load and have no issues.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:14 PM   #4
scorpioscuba
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check out Fluff Love & CD Science on Facebook and their website at www.fluffloveuniversity.com

I'd get a water test kit and find out if you have hard water. If you do that could be your culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2016, 07:37 AM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would guess since your LO is sensitive he may needs stay dry and possible wool/fleece covers as well.

I recently re-discovered bac-out which has been working really well. I use it in the warm prerinse. Not only do I think its helping the diapers get cleaner, it also seems to be keeping my washer cleaner -- it's no longer smelling of urine every 2 weeks.

Good Luck!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, XL Wool Soaker, Baby Wearing
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
chandlrb
Registered Users
seller

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions! I was totally out of ideas. Now I have some things to ponder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
How much Tide and Sun did you use? Have you added bleach to the hot wash? A lot of people bleach with every single diaper load and have no issues.
I washed with Tide for about a month I believe, filling the detergent cap to about the "1" line level for a load of about 6 AIO and 12 pre folds. I did add bleach to the hot wash. I'd say 2 tablespoons. The issue I ran into was that my diapers were breaking down. This is the third bum they have diapered, so they are not young, but the fiber breakdown accelerated. Also, worse rash. Maybe it wasn't rinsing completely even with the double rinse? As for sun, I wish I could have used more. I had to leave my big clothes line behind and use the little collapsible drying rack on my apartment balcony...not an ideal set up. But we are back in the country now and I'm hoping to have a line up shortly!

I am feeling motivated to figure this out!
chandlrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:05 PM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

If all your clothes are having issues I would suspect a problem with your washer.maybe check the agitator. That was a problem with one of our washers. Had to do medium sized loads or smaller. Large would agitate but not sufficiently to clean well.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote