Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2016, 04:22 PM   #1
mamax5b
Registered Users

what to do for baby with VERY sensitive skin

I was wondering if any one has any ideas about what to do for my almost 4 month old with very sensitive skin. We are using best bottoms covers with their stay dry inserts during the day with a hemp overnight addition. The best bottoms is the only cover we can use, all other covers/pockets give him a terrible rash...maybe due to the stay dry lining extending to the elastic?? I dont know. He is a super heavy wetter so we need something very absorbent but his skin does not like man made fibers or being even damp, which puts us in a pickle. His skin likes it if I use an organic prefold inside the cover but then if I do it twice in a row he reacts to the wetness. If I use the stay dry it gets over the wetness reaction but starts to react to the man made fibers. I have microfleece stay dry liners that i add on top to try to keep him dry, but I have to rotate between using one and not using one or he reacts to them! So I feel like I am constantly trying to change things to keep his skin calm. If he gets agitated at all (we have two other boys with autism and we think he probably does too, VERY sensory) his skin gets worse, to the point of looking like burns if I am not totally on top of it. I just bought some thirsties duo hemp prefolds to try hoping that it would be natural fibers that would absorb more??? Does any one have any ideas that I have not tried?? I love my cloth diapers but I really want to find something that works and not feel like Im constantly battling with them!

I am considering trying some GMD workhorses over night as well, bc we use the hemp overnight and ever since he is waking up every two hours even though he had slept through the night before we went to cloth over night. The over night best bottoms are very absorbent and keep him dry but are so stiff and he does not like feeling like he cant move as much as he wants, he is so sensory. Im just worried they will bother his skin bc they will feel wet and I will have bought yet another thing that we cant use (we tried many kinds of cloth diapers before we found that the best bottoms work some what, with the covers working well for us. none of the others would work at all, just made it worse)

any ideas welcome, sorry for the long post!

Advertisement

mamax5b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:38 PM   #2
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sounds like a very tough spot to be in. Good for you for not giving up on cloth! I'm sure you'll find some solutions here from someone!

What about practicing EC even part time? That will cut down on some of the issues.

My son had very sensitive skin too, but not the sensory issues yours has, so we had to try a lot too. Flats and plain PUL/TPU covers worked best for us. We also started using a cloth-safe diaper cream after every change and that helped protect the bum some too.

Ultimately we tried to get out of diapers as soon as possible so we didn't have to battle this so much. Hugs to you!!
WannaBeGreen2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:47 PM   #3
Featherhead
Registered Users

Re: what to do for baby with VERY sensitive skin

I would try Mother-Ease stay dry, either just the liners, or you could do the one-size diapers. They are a very different material than any other diaper.
Featherhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #4
zorabete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is probably really obvious and you've already considered it, but have you tried using a different laundry detergent?
zorabete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:37 AM   #5
klnra
Registered Users
seller

My girl is sensitive too, but for us I discovered if we slathered on some motherlove diaper rash ointment (Thirsties makes one with the same ingredients too), she could tolerate the stay-dry a lot better. We use suedecloth, not fleece.

The duo hemp prefolds are a good idea. Have you thought about/tried wool covers? We can't use PUL all day without my daughter getting rashy.
klnra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:52 AM   #6
Blessedmama777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You may want to try wool liners. My oldest would get rashes from certain foods, and than wake up in the night crying after wetting his diaper just once. I tried fleece liners, but that made his bottom get really red. When I used the wool liners, he could sleep through the night just fine, and his bottom wasn't all red in the morning.

These are the kind I have, I got them used off of here.
http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/...per-liner.html

And like another poster said, you may want to try switching detergent and finding something more natural if he has sensitive skin. When I started using a homemade powder, I was getting red bottoms, so I switched back what I had been using.
Follower of Jesus Christ, blessed and cherished wife to the most wonderful man, and happy, stay-at-home mama to our precious Christmas gifts L (2012) and J (2014) and P (2017) our springtime blessing!
Blessedmama777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #7
Jumbo
Registered Users
seller

Are you 100% sure both he and the diapers are getting thoroughly and completely cleaned? where is he most rashy?
Jumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:20 PM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

suedecloth stay dry all the time. Wool covers at least part time (nighttime and at home - dd was in daycare 3 days a week in suedecloth pockets). And diaper cream with zinc oxide was required when rash flares up, we used burts bees.

When we couldn't on top of it or use wool at least parttime (like traveling) we used gdiaper disposable covers in our PUL covers (flips and bummis), she was always fine. Some kids do do better in disposable unfortunately. We stuck it out and found the the system above
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, XL Wool Soaker, Baby Wearing

Last edited by Pixi6s; 06-18-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #9
erinofgod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dad had issues with being wet as well as with the synthetic materials. I settled on flats and prefold in organic cotton and changing much more often. It was the only thing that worked. The flats get clean easily so I know that detergent isn't building up. The prefolds are less work for when her skin is in good condition. I hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
erinofgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:01 PM   #10
mamax5b
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeGreen2011 View Post
Sounds like a very tough spot to be in. Good for you for not giving up on cloth! I'm sure you'll find some solutions here from someone!

What about practicing EC even part time? That will cut down on some of the issues.

My son had very sensitive skin too, but not the sensory issues yours has, so we had to try a lot too. Flats and plain PUL/TPU covers worked best for us. We also started using a cloth-safe diaper cream after every change and that helped protect the bum some too.

Ultimately we tried to get out of diapers as soon as possible so we didn't have to battle this so much. Hugs to you!!
thank you for the ideas! EC is a great idea, it really is. hopefully it might be possible later on.....but he really struggles with communication already (like his brothers that are autistic) so im thinking he might be like them and train late but maybe ill just have to try to get to know his schedule better myself and try to accommodate him. good ideas
mamax5b is offline   Reply With Quote