Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #1
2009JD2B
Registered Users

Help with Pull-Up Style Diapers

I think I'm looking for a unicorn, but here goes.

I'm looking for pull-up style diapers for my 2 year old. My husband is disabled and can no longer battle with him at changing time (and I'm just about at my wits end with it as well). I am currently using fitteds with wool pants and shorts as covers. I LOVE this combo for many reasons and I am looking to stick with it, so I am looking for non PUL type pull up diapers with side snap panels (think Grovia, Flip, etc). However, most of the pull up style diapers/trainers I have found are waterproof- either with a hidden layer of PUL or a PUL outer. He's not ready for PLing yet, so I still need the absorbency of a diaper. I have found one option that I think may fit the bill for daytime at home use (when I know he won't have a poo)- it's a pocket style cotton boxer brief that I can stuff like a diaper and then can use as regular boxer briefs once he's PL'd. But I still need something for naptime, nighttime, and use out of the house. The closest option was an Etsy shop that would convert a prefold into a pull-up style but I need more absorbency than that. I'm contemplating converting some of my existing fitteds into pull-up style pockets, but by the time I buy all the materials to do so, and take the time to do it, I could probably just start from scratch with a prefold or sell my fitteds and buy something else.

Has anyone ever come across an all cotton (or bamboo, hemp, etc.) pull up style diaper (not just a trainer)?

Advertisement

2009JD2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #2
Featherhead
Registered Users

Re: Help with Pull-Up Style Diapers

I've heard of people using Mother-Ease Sandys diapers in that way. I've never tried it myself, but I do really like my Sandys diapers.
Featherhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #3
Greenwife
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, Sandy's would fit the bill. They come in several fabric options and can totally be pulled on a standing kid. They are very absorbent. I currently mainly use them at night and without an extra insert they hold fine (not a heavy wetter). But the liners are great too and pretty easy to lay in and still pull on. I prefer the bamboo version and find they stay softer longer than the colored cotton ones. They are buttery soft new and don't stay that soft, just softer than the regular cotton. My little guy is about 28 lbs and has been in larges for over a year (he just turned 2 and is very tall). They also make a larger version Toddler size.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used sandys as pullups a bit with my LO. The only reason it didn't work great for us is that my LO needed a stay liner and that wouldn't stay put well.

I've been making fleece trainers based off the katrina pattern that hold an insert/prefold and then can be pulled up and down and it's been working well, I use them at night but my LO isn't a heavy wetter anymore. To help them work at night I actually use a wool liner between the insert and the fleece which helps alot. This trainer could, in theory also work for wool if its felted heavily so it doesn't stretch much more than fleece would. Do you sew? If so, I can try and share what I've learned.

I also tried buying night undies to use with wool from MumtazSoakers. They had potential but my LO didn't like them. She normally adds a hidden stay dry layer but she skipped it for me. If you found something you like from any seller on etsy, if the stay dry layer is hidden they should be able to skip it, if you ask.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, XL Wool Soaker, Baby Wearing

Last edited by Pixi6s; 06-29-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:42 PM   #5
KendallMarie
Registered Users
seller

I'll add my voice to the chorus. ME Sandys. I'm currently using a mix of Lg Sandy's and Toddlease on my 3 year old who refuses to potty train. I just snap them when they come out of the wash and use them as pull ups.

ISO: ME Training pants, ME Toddlease, XL GDiapers
KendallMarie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:20 AM   #6
2009JD2B
Registered Users

Thank you all for the recommendation! I had someone else in my wool chat group recommend them as well. I had steered away from side snap diapers because my son is so skinny and I have to overlap the wings and tabs on all his diapers, and I was worried that they wouldn't fit well, but I'm going to give these a try and see if they work. I like that there is a toddler option also in case he ever gets to the point of needing something that big.
2009JD2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:01 AM   #7
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

I used Grovia trainers with a premie prefold in the pocket as a diaper with my little guy.
yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #8
carverjill
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Just to add to the suggestions - have you looked at Super Undies, they are all pull up style overnight trainers that could work since they have more absorbency than a regular trainer. I think there are several different types of them these days so you can choose what is best. Rainshine Designs makes a side snapping fitted diaper that could work similar to the Sandies (http://www.rainshinedesigns.com/category.php?SC=41) and Nanas Bottoms also does fitteds that I bet could be customized to work for you.