Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #11
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Reusing Shoes question

If I could do so I would pass down shoes. My kids are far to far apart in age though. As long as the shoes are comfortable that is.

My son's have vastly different foot shapes though. Even if they WERE close enough in age passing on shoes wouldn't be feasible. One being average length, high arch, and narrow. The other short, wide, pudgy feet, average arch as far as I can tell.

Aside from the foot shape issue and the 8 year age gap my older son is killer on his shoes. Nothing of worth left to pass on.

Except boots. Considering we have maybe 1-3 snow falls worthy of boots our boots are practically brand new. I buy big and use as many years as we can. Not paying the price they cost for only a few hours of wear each year.

Advertisement

qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #12
Rockinmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I can not pass down shoes. I worked for a podiatrist and his stance was it's better to put a baby in cheap payless/kmart shoes than hand me downs. I have bad feet and because of that I only buy good shoes for my kids.
Rockinmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #13
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmama24 View Post
I can not pass down shoes. I worked for a podiatrist and his stance was it's better to put a baby in cheap payless/kmart shoes than hand me downs. I have bad feet and because of that I only buy good shoes for my kids.
interesting point
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review. Everything must go! Check Lots: CV, TR, IN, WL, FFS
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #14
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have always accepted and used hand-me-down shoes for my kiddos as long as they fit, weren't too worn out, and fit our style. I do often wash and air-dry them if I can, though. Kids grow so fast it's ridiculous! I've bought new shoes here and there but try to get them on sale. Other times it's like - crap, it's really rainy this year, so-and-so really needs a pair of rainboots so I'll spring for it.
karlitacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:28 PM   #15
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

My kids very rarely wear shoes. If they go outside when it's snowy or wet, they wear boots. If it's dry, they wear crocs outside. Inside they go barefoot all year round. They only wear actual shoes when we leave the property and aren't in someone's house, so maybe an hour or two a week, like at the grocery store and at church is all. Because they take them off when we get to someone else's house, too.

So yeah, we reuse shoes. Typically through multiple kids. My YDD's winter shoes have been worn by her big sister plus three older cousins.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:38 AM   #16
kanga1622
Registered Users

We never reuse shoes. I do donate any shoes in good condition but there really aren't many. My kids only get one pair of shoes per size and usually wear them about 6 months before moving up a size. Even if they look great on the outside, I can almost always see wear on the inside (either an impression from their foot or a wear spot from where a toe rubbed).

As a kid who wore special shoes for years to get my feet to land correctly, quality new shoes are super important to me.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #17
Agla
Super Admin
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

So I'm noticing that it is almost as cheap to buy new as used at consignment. I just used points and got a pair of new boys sneakers at Sears for $7.50.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #18
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
So I'm noticing that it is almost as cheap to buy new as used at consignment. I just used points and got a pair of new boys sneakers at Sears for $7.50.

Yep. Consignment stores here are high.
MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:34 AM   #19
kristinajura
Registered Users
seller

I've never heard of hand me down shoes being a concern. Is it just because of the wear they get & different foot types between kids? Or something else?

I have 2 boys ages 1 & 3. Younger one has wider feet, so not all of the older one's shoes even fit, but I've been saving them for the younger. And I've found Stride Rites & other nice, name brand shoes at the second hand store for like $5. Should we stop looking there & just buy new from now on?

I never remember my shoes being handed down to my sister, but I assume older kids wear their shoes out way more than little ones, so they're not even worthy of considering to pass on.
Gah!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kristinajura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:25 AM   #20
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinajura View Post
I've never heard of hand me down shoes being a concern. Is it just because of the wear they get & different foot types between kids? Or something else?

I have 2 boys ages 1 & 3. Younger one has wider feet, so not all of the older one's shoes even fit, but I've been saving them for the younger. And I've found Stride Rites & other nice, name brand shoes at the second hand store for like $5. Should we stop looking there & just buy new from now on?

I never remember my shoes being handed down to my sister, but I assume older kids wear their shoes out way more than little ones, so they're not even worthy of considering to pass on.
Gah!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. People have probably been passing down shoes as long as people have been wearing shoes and I don't think it's done any great harm. If they look terribly worn or something I wouldn't, but other than that I'd say you're fine.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote