Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #501
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
Well if people get banned because they deliberately stir the pot then OP should also be banned. She starts these kind of threads often and I have wondered in the past if she does it only to see them derail.

I actually like that she does it because I do think these things have to get talked to, so OP, NOTHING AGAINST YOU. I just want to understand why Puppydog was banned.

I don't know, it just bothers me that she was banned.
It kind of bothered me that she was banned too since she apologized and said she spoke/typed without thinking. While she does seem to stir the pot sometimes I think in this case it was not intentional.

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #502
AtLeast
Registered
Formerly: rli***t
seller
seller

2 hr drive to grandma's and now it's too far past. Hillargh, thanks for your posts on the topic. I get all your points. It still seems like the same argument to me. One group wanting rights and rejecting having another's beliefs forced upon them via legislature. I just see that same argument as valid for the unborn as well. I know this stems from my belief that a human is a human from the beginning.

Carriek82, I was hoping you would chime in since you have personally experienced the discrimination based on your personhood. You have experienced one group barring you from living as anyone else. I can't understand not being able to extrapolate that to the unborn. Not trying to change your view, but honestly wanting to hear your answer.

Truthfully, when I hear the arguments for equal rights in the gay community, I hear them just exactly the same for the unborn.

I guess I'm pro-fetal rights.

This thread wasn't deterred by my attempts to pull away from the religion debate, but I'm still curious to hear positions on this.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #503
Antebellum
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarawithouth

yes, I realize how it could be hurtful, but I feel they're two different things. There's a spiritual baby - what we miss when we lose a baby, and a living, "scientifically classified" (here we go again...) human baby. One that can sustain life. Has a chance at life outside the womb. Families who have suffered losses mourn both, first the loss of the embryo/fetus, and then the loss of their baby. What could have been their baby.

Someone said "bunch of cells." Similar idea. Remove the spiritual baby and you have a collection of cells. I think once those cells form an organism that can live outside the womb (again, barring defects. We're not really talking about that.), then it's an infant and possibly entitled to protection. Then we get into the mother versus baby debate. What if continuing pregnancy (possible life) puts the already alive mother at risk?

Does that make more sense?
Yes, thank you for explaining.
Antebellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #504
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah52 View Post
Her response wasn't even about what I posted, I was not arguing the merits of Christianity over other religions. I wasn't even arguing anything or claiming to be right about anything. Some of you are way too intense for me, I'm all for sharing ideas and discussing things but being lectured at like I'm an ignorant SAHM...which I am...is not enjoyable.
I do agree that she took your ideas (which really hit home with me) about the mentally ill vs having a belief in god(s) and went with debating which religion is the oldest. If I didn't know any better, I'd think someone missed the point.

But she does say 90% of her online posting is debate, so if there isn't one there, she can create one. (obviously)
Old 03-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #505
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post

At least I felt that puppy was here to contribute to the debate in her own way. It seems vespertina is playing the role of pot stirrer now that puppy is gone. With less shock and awe and more hey look at my college degree.
It was going well for a minute or two. Surprisingly, considering where we veered off to lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #506
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe we should just go talk about bacon.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #507
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
Hey look I tried to start a float your goat thread and no one was biting. So I was like okay lets talk about the A word I guess.
Cautiously expecting #4 10/6/16
EmmaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #508
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
I just ate some delish granola.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #509
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
She really does come into a lot of threads and say very inflammatory things. Like one liner drive by snipes, you know? There's a history there.
Yes, but there is also a history of her getting to a point where she "gets" something and moves on. Like in this thread. Her style may not be all that great but I honestly don't think she needs to be banned.

Again, if those oneliners she throws out are offensive then OP here's post must also be offensive. The way I read her oneliners (which are not all that clever all the time I must add - sorry Puppydog if you read this, but some of them are simply rehashed facebook memes) is to throw angles at the debate to make it go in different directions. I don't interpret it different to what OP has done by asking her question to start with.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #510
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I will say for all the many hot button topics we've hit on, I feel like by-and-large we've been very civil. Look how many pages!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote