Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #511
Hillargh
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,903
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertina View Post

So, if I call Odin an a**hat, that's uber offensive and bannable? Hilarious. This I wonder. Not that I'd actually call him that because he isn't real and thus not really an a**hat. It's called being sarcastic and facetious and also shining light on the double standard that exists.

No one bats an eye at someone calling Thor a "bad name," and heck, there could be Asatruars here, but the moment someone pulls the same move on the Abrahamic pantheon then war descends upon the evil sinner. That deserves a big fat eyeroll.
I doubt It was that single comment or post. More so the combination of that and other posts made. The atmosphere was very nasty for a while.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Advertisement

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #512
jen_batten's Avatar
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,938
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
Yes, but there is also a history of her getting to a point where she "gets" something and moves on. Like in this thread. Her style may not be all that great but I honestly don't think she needs to be banned.

Again, if those oneliners she throws out are offensive then OP here's post must also be offensive. The way I read her oneliners (which are not all that clever all the time I must add - sorry Puppydog if you read this, but some of them are simply rehashed facebook memes) is to throw angles at the debate to make it go in different directions. I don't interpret it different to what OP has done by asking her question to start with.
Honestly? I don't know. But maybe you should take it up with a mod before you dig yourself a nice big hole and get yourself banned.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #513
Vespertina's Avatar
Vespertina
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 621
My Mood:
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
When in the world did anyone on ds ever call Thor a mean name?
They wouldn't because to the majority of religionists he doesn't exist, correct? I was giving an example as to the double standard that exists. I never implied someone called Thor out of name. I stated my case in the hypothetical. No Christian would call Thor out of name because he does not actually exist. He can't be [insert derogatory word here] because he ain't real. However, one could, based on the mythos, come to the conclusion that he is X based on what they've read. Likewise, someone could arrive at a similar conclusion about other deities I won't name based on how they are portrayed in their respective mythos.

Context is key.

Quote:
This is ridiculous.
Um, okay?

Quote:
You're not comparing apples to oranges anyway.
Say what?

Quote:
Tell the pagans they're all new age hippie psychos (I can't even think of a clever insult, fail) and off to the guillotine you go, and rightfully so.
I'm not following.

Quote:
I really don't understand why we have to have debates about which religions are more okay to insult. Um, none? Again, since when is being respectful giving someone special treatment?
So, it's not okay to call non-Christians "unbelievers," "deluded by the devil," "lost," "confused," "misguided," all of which can be regarded as insults. Heck, one could regard being told their religion is "of the devil" as the ultimate insult. Or that they're "lost" and "misguided." All of these terms are pretty standard evangelicalese -- common amongst the conservative and fundamentalist types. Folks can package their convictions in a "warm," and "sweet" manner, citing they're doing it out of "Christ's love," but it's transparent what's being said. And it ain't warm or sweet.
__________________
Aeona, ima to Grace, 12/04 Evangeline, 11/06 Duncan, 11/08 and Henry, 12/09 born at home.

Vespertina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #514
Hope4More's Avatar
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: In the land of Crazy
Posts: 5,353
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack
So did Puppydog get banned for 6 months because of the douchecano comment. I get she riles people up a lot but I really wonder if she was THAT offensive. She even apologized when it was pointed out to her exactly how it made others feel. I have seen worse on here. Why does Vespertina get a pass on that long word she called all the gods?

Yes, I'm seriously asking because this seriously bothers me.
Thanks! I was wondering the same. Perhaps because the pantheon agrees with her? I dunno I wasn't that offended by the canoe comment because, well, it was funny. Somehow using religious logic to tell me, in many more words, that I'm stupid for following my God instead of none because I'm far too unintelligent to understand how religion works is ok? I'd rather have ms. canoe back.

Eta: edited to remove a religious reference I realized I probably wasn't right about after re-reading several posts

Soryr fro typos. Setn by iPhone.
__________________
Wife, WAHM, born-again Christian, proud mommy to my loving, energetic son (4) and blessed, miracle daughter
God gave us our RAINBOW baby !
I WILL WARRIOR ON... This mama misses her three baby angels (10.19) (1.29) (4.18)
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...

Last edited by Hope4More; 03-29-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #515
Hillargh
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,903
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post

I have no bone to pick with you. Only with the fact that one user gets banned for 6 months after she apologised for the same actions you are taking but you aren't even talked to.

It is the double standard of DS that I'm questioning. Not your point of view.
To be fair, history plays a big role I'm sure. And puppy was far more blatantly rude whereas these posts were, at best, condescending. Sure, puppy apologized. After people stopped being defensive and shot back. Then she even attempted to act like she was a victim. But I highly doubt a single insult resulted in a 6m ban. That's simplifying it to the extreme.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #516
Leah52's Avatar
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Clifton Forge, VA
Posts: 6,653
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
I do agree that she took your ideas (which really hit home with me) about the mentally ill vs having a belief in god(s) and went with debating which religion is the oldest. If I didn't know any better, I'd think someone missed the point.

But she does say 90% of her online posting is debate, so if there isn't one there, she can create one. (obviously)
I wish it had stayed on topic because it's something I have been thinking about a lot. My little brother was raised Christian like myself but moved away from it when he was a teen. He dabbled in paganism, then Buddhism, then declared himself atheist for several years. Recently he has come back to Christianity but I do tend to worry about him because he is so zealous and he has very strange ideas and thought patterns that make me wonder about schizophrenia. There is a long history of mental illness in my family, among both the atheists and the religious, so I wonder how many of us have normal perceptions about anything. And I can't argue with him about being rational when I still believe in an invisible Creator God. So my thoughts were not regurgitated facts I learned in a book or online but my own personal thoughts and feelings relating to my own experiences. It wasn't meant to be a debate, I have nothing to prove or refute, it was just a discussion.
__________________
Jesus follower, pacifist, homeschooled, homeschooling mama of 5
For there to be peace at home there must be peace in the heart. ~Lao Tzu
Leah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #517
jen_batten's Avatar
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,938
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
Thanks! I was wondering the same. Perhaps because the pantheon agrees with her? I dunno I wasn't that offended by the canoe comment because, well, it was funny. Somehow using Hindu logic to tell me, in many more words, that I'm stupid for following my God instead of none because I'm far too unintelligent to understand how religion works is ok? I'd rather have ms. canoe back.

Soryr fro typos. Setn by iPhone.
Me too. At least I understood her posts and didn't feel like she was trying to talk above the rest of us.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #518
eahcapemay's Avatar
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,242
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
So did Puppydog get banned for 6 months because of the douchecano comment. I get she riles people up a lot but I really wonder if she was THAT offensive. She even apologized when it was pointed out to her exactly how it made others feel. I have seen worse on here. Why does Vespertina get a pass on that long word she called all the gods?

Yes, I'm seriously asking because this seriously bothers me.
I don't think it was just over this thread. I'd guess Puppydog has been asked repeatedly to be more polite. Also in the last post of this thread- http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1488861 ~h2bam~ implied that Puppydog was a catfish. Or at least that's how I read her post.
__________________
My phone is smart, I am not. All spelling errors are my own.
eahcapemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #519
Antebellum
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,307
My Mood:
Wait, when did h2bam say she was banned? I'm so lost, off to dig around. BTW I offered rewards for anyone who would video asking for floating goat supplies!! So someone must do it now.
Antebellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #520
Hillargh
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,903
My Mood:
I prefer Tilapia.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.