Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
lotsuvlittles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many kids do you have in a 3 bedroom house?

Before we moved here we had 6 of us in a 3 bedroom 1 bath house that was 975sqft and it really wasn't too bad, but the lot was really small so it made a big difference not being able to have a big outside space for the kids to run. DH and I had the smallest bedroom in our small house and our queen bed was up against the wall in the corner and we had a dresser at the end of the bed and had to sit on the bed to open the drawers which still couldn't open all the way. The closet had the furnace in it so it was full and there was just enough room to be able to get off the one side of the bed and stand on the floor, but I could barely turn around.

I try not to accumulate stuff and just keep our lives simple. My 3 older boys all share one dresser and one closet so they don't have a lot of clothes, but they have enough. I keep up on the laundry because it would be a disaster if I didn't and we don't need so many clothes.

Advertisement

Back online and getting caught up. Thanks for your patience.
lotsuvlittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
dmj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have 3 kids and only 3 bedrooms. Our house is only 1200 sq ft and ds who is 2 1/2 still co sleeps with us in our queen bed. We also have a twin bed on the floor next to our bed for our dd who is 5 for the few times she wanders in since there really isn't room for her in our bed. Her room has a twin trundle bed that pops up to a king. We used to have ds's crib in there (he used in 1X). Our oldest ds is 14 and he has his own room that has a mega bunk bed (bunk bed with a pull-out tundle, dresser drawers, pull-out type computer keyboard and an armoire and book shelf).
We wish we could have a 5 bedroom house with a family room that is about 2,500 sq. ft with 2 1/2 baths. We currently have 2 full baths.
dmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #13
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Okay i was lurking in this forum, but i thought i would share this about house size:

My neighbor has 6 kids and has a TWO bedroom house - just a little under 900 sq ft total living space.

She has the largest room set up with two sets of twin/full bunk beds - the boys sleep on the top twin bunks and the 4 girls share the two bottom full beds. She also has a crib in this room awaiting the arrival of #7.

It can be done.... but yes i think she said she'd like to have 4 total bedrooms in her "dream" house
Old 09-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #14
3babiestolove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have 3 bedrooms and 3 kids! The boys share a room which is slightly larger than the other. My DD will have her own room.

I could turn the den into a room but it is downstairs. This might be a possibility in the future but for guest only. I just hate the thought I am upstairs and one of my kids are downstairs.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #15
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have 4 kids in our 3 bedroom ranch and hope to have at least one more child. I don't see us moving, though eventually we could convert area in the basement to a bedroom. That would be a long way off.
Anyways, I don't know the dimensions on our rooms but I think they're all about 10 x 10 or so . . . our whole house is 1700 sq. ft.
ds9 and ds6 share a room--bunks, and the bottom bunk is a double so the plan is for ds2 to eventually go in there as well. For now, he has a twin bed pushed up to our double bed. We did that with all of our kids until they got to about age 3. Then dd4 has her own room.
Dd4 likes to hang out in her room playing with all her "girl stuff", dolls, dress up, etc. However, the boys don't really seem to spend much time in their rooms so I don't think it's a big deal at all to have 3 in a room. I can see when they get older that it will be more important, probably, for them to have their "own space," so I'm glad we have the unfinished basement that could eventually accomodate more bedrooms (we'd have to but in a couple egress windows, though, so that there would be a fire escape plus to add more light.)
dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:01 AM   #16
Chey
Banned

My Mood:

We are in a 3 bdrm 1100sqft up and 1070sqft down house. Older kids each have their own room, baby sleeps with DH and I but will bunk with DS when he (baby) gets older.

Eventually DD will move downstairs to the room we use as a spare bedroom, though that won't be for at least 5-7 more years, maybe more. She is only 6 now and we won't move her until she is in her teens.

We also have 3 full bathrooms, so that will help when the kids are older.
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #17
EireItalia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We live in a two-bedroom house (chose acreage over house size and love our privacy!) and are expecting baby #4. While we plan to add on in the furture, right now our 5- and 6-year olds have a bunkbed and our 2-year-old has a toddler bed next to the bunk.

New baby will be in the arms reach mini cosleeper by our bed for the first six months, then in a crib or pack n play in our room until we add on to the house or mix up sleeping arrangements (shared beds perhaps) in the kids room.

More bedrooms would be lovely (and are in the plan) but we can seriously make do with what we have as we work to become debt-free before cash-flowing an addition. There's a separate laundry/playroom where we keep the majority of their toys so the bedrooms don't have to store so much stuff.

I blog about emergency preparedness and home food storage on my Survival Blog. I buy Thrive foods for my own family -- PM me with any questions.
EireItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #18
5IrishBabes
Registered Users
Formerly: FeliciaM07
seller

We have 5 kids in a 3 bdrm. Master is ours. Girls have the bigger of the other 2 rooms. 7 and 5 yr old in bunkbeds. 2 yr old in a crib still. Boys have the smaller room. 3 yr old in twin bed and 10 mnth old in crib. I would loooove to have at least 1 more room bc we have a couple problem sleepers that could definetly be seperated from the heavy sleepers.
5IrishBabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #19
mamatoblessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have 4 children in a 3 br, 1000 sq ft house. The 2 girls share a room and the boys share a room. ODD has her own bed and YDD has her crib (for the first part of the night anyway, then she's in bed w/us), the boys used to have a bunkbed, but they always ended up sleeping together on the lower bunk or on the floor like they are right now , for right now they only have 1 twin bed since we took the top bunk down to make the room look bigger for selling purposes. TBH I don't want my children to each have their own room, I'm perfectly happy w/a girl's room and a boy's room, at some point I would like to have an extra room as a school/play room. I think the number of bedrooms is far less important than the number of bathrooms!!
Elizabeth~ Jesus loving wife to myNathan, Mama to God's blessings Jayna-11, Quaid-9, Roanen-7, Avelyn Faith-5, Conlan-2 and 2 precious ones, Victory (10-2010) and Treasure (4-2013), in the arms of Jesus. Expecting a little rainbow blessing late Aug/early Sep Doing a lot of this to get ready! My ISO/IHA
mamatoblessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:42 AM   #20
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Soon to be six. Our two youngest are still co-sleeping. The 2 oldest girls sleep in a day bed with a trundle, their room is big. Our oldest son sleeps in a bunk bed the smaller room. So in a couple of years. It will be 3 girls in the bigger room and 2 boys in the smaller room. the new will be with us for a while. All you need is those bunk beds that have the slide out 3rd bed.
lisathib123 is offline   Reply With Quote