Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #31
traderbren
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Explain to me about cloth and circumcision

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR2119 View Post
ALL OT POSTS WERE REMOVED. PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC OR DO NOT REPLY TO THIS THREAD. THANK YOU.

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #32
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonyluna View Post
Do you mind sharing how your LO handled the surgery? My little man is 6 months, and I'm nervous how he'll handle being circ'd at an older age. Thanks for the bamboo insert tip also. That sounds like a good plan, especially for overnight use.
OK: My son wasn't technically circumcised so things were definitely different for us. My ds was 10 months old when he had his surgery bc that's how old the pediatric urologist said he needed to be before they could put him under. Yep, they put him to sleep for his surgery so he wouldn't feel ANYTHING while they were working on correcting his boy parts. My son was born with what is referred to as a natural circumcision and a VERY pronounced hypospadia. So, in short, they had to straighten his urethra and relocate his pee hole and use whatever little bit of foreskin he had to reconstruct underneath where it was needed..... so major surgery for a little one and LOTS of stitches and bruising was left.
My son came out of surgery very well. He was cranky and sleepy.... plain out fussy but I would be too since they wouldn't let him eat or drink ANYTHING for 6+ hours before the surgery. For the next week, he'd cry when he peed but again: who wouldn't with all that bruising, swelling and stitches? He HATED when I'd have to touch him to slather on the A&D but if I didn't, he'd stick to the diaper and bleed. But I was instructed by the dr not to warm the A&D or it would be too thin.... I wasn't using it for wetness protection but as a way of preventing chafing so I was supposed to really goop it on, so to speak. Thus, I learned to give him his motrin a few minutes before changing him whenever possible to help with the pain. We had to give him motrin like clockwork for about 2 weeks until the bruising healed and some of the pain subsided. DS would wake in the middle of the night as soon as the motrin wore off and I'd have to give him another dose and feed him (just like having a newborn again.) After 2 weeks, the bruising was gone and he was getting back to his happy self and began sleeping through the night again so I weaned him off the motrin except right before bedtime and within a week, he was off the motrin entirely. He still has all those stitches and some swelling but it doesn't seem to bother him anymore. Though, he does reach for "it" at changing time and cry when he push/pulls too hard, I think it's partly bc it itches him, since it's healing.
All in all, I'm glad it's over with and I do not regret my decision. It was medically neccessary to have this done or he'd never be able to stand to pee when he's older, according to the drs. And having it done now vs later means a quicker recovery time and less chance he'll remember it.
The drs told me cloth was ok as long as I was 100% sure my cds were getting clean and staying sanitized. Otherwise, the risk of infection and MORE pain was greater. I literally switched to laying in our bamboo inserts in our pockets after the 2nd time I took a sposie off ds and it was stuck to him. He would chafe in the sposies and cry and cry and there would be a little blood in the diaper at changing time. After I switched, there would still be occasional blood in his diaper but it was minimal and he was never stuck to it like in the sposies. He seemed much more comfy (as comfy as you can expect under the circumstance) so we stuck with it.
If it weren't for his comfort during this recovery, I never would've done the work to find the right overnight cd for us. Now, we don't have to buy ANY more sposies!

I hope this answers your questions and I'm truly sorry that my post might've been what sparked the off-topic anti-circ stuff that got posted. I just wanted you to know up front that my son's recovery ISN'T the normal circ recovery so you wouldn't flip out and think this was some operation gone wrong horror story stuff going on.

Last edited by Servant4Christ; 11-12-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #33
loonyluna
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Mommy2Daniel=

I hope this answers your questions and I'm truly sorry that my post might've been what sparked the off-topic anti-circ stuff that got posted. I just wanted you to know up front that my son's recovery ISN'T the normal circ recovery so you wouldn't flip out and think this was some operation gone wrong horror story stuff going on.
Thanks so much for sharing. My son will be put under and may need stitches as well, so I appreciate the info. I was debating using disposables, but I think I'll stick to cloth and use inserts/liners. Thanks again!
loonyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #34
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

I want to mention a&d does have fragrance. Any time I use it on a diaper rash ds screams. I would use vaseline. I often use that on ds if he has a bad rash and it doesn't burn him.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #35
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

My DS had his circ done at two days old and I just used a touch of vasoline on it and had him in pocket diapers with no issues but I know a child who had to have it done at almost two due to a reoccurring infection on his foreskin his mother used disposables the first day after surgery than pockets after that he was fine after the first couple days and it healed up great with a&d or vasaline every change if I remember right the mom used fleece liners the first few days when more cream was needed than no liners the week or so after that
Old 11-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #36
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Thanks so much for sharing. My son will be put under and may need stitches as well, so I appreciate the info. I was debating using disposables, but I think I'll stick to cloth and use inserts/liners. Thanks again!

No prob. My lo's reactions were very obvious:
If the diaper was off, he'd reach for "it" and cry if he got ahold of "it."
If I put him in a sposie, he grab and pull at the diaper and fuss to no end.

Cloth was the best response: a little wimpering while I was changing him and applying the A&D but he'd quiet right down as soon as the cd was on and I picked him up to comfort and hold him.

DS didn't have any issues w/ anything in the A&D (like the fragrance) but I already knew he wouldn't bc we'd used it many times prior to the surgery without any problems. Vaseline does work just as well, though. But when I use it, I get the unscented plain original kind (not the kind with shea butter or baby fragrance in it.) And I use the original A&D (not the zinc oxide formula.)

Expect your lo to be cranky coming out of anesthesia... this is normal. DS was very clingy, too bc he didn't feel good once he woke up. And honestly, the worst was the first night at home because he woke up EVERY time he peed or so much as turned the wrong way in bed. I felt like I had a newborn all over again. Once I figured out he needed a dose of motrin on a regular basis to help with the pain, he did MUCH better. If the motrin wore off, I KNEW it.... he made sure I knew it. Lol.
Oh, and I highly recommend motrin over tylenol.... lasts longer and the dose was smaller for ds so less of a struggle to get him to swallow it. I always gave it to him right before feeding him so I knew he swallowed all the medicine.

I'll be praying for your lo's quick recovery.

God Bless!

Last edited by Servant4Christ; 11-12-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #37
loonyluna
Registered Users
seller

The nurse warned me that he'll be pretty upset when he wakes up. They asked if I wanted him formula fed immediately after waking to soothe him. He's EBF, so I'm not sure if he'd even take it! He's not great with a bottle. Did they suggest that to you as well? I'm hoping I can just be there ASAP. They are calling Monday with all of the details.

Thanks again for you help! I really appreciate it!
Old 11-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #38
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
The nurse warned me that he'll be pretty upset when he wakes up. They asked if I wanted him formula fed immediately after waking to soothe him. He's EBF, so I'm not sure if he'd even take it! He's not great with a bottle. Did they suggest that to you as well? I'm hoping I can just be there ASAP. They are calling Monday with all of the details.

Thanks again for you help! I really appreciate it!
They had me waiting in the post-op room for him and brought him to me immediately when he woke as soon as they cleared him. They did ask my permission to give him a little juice or sugar water, though since it helps pacify them. I gave permission but told them I didn't think he'd fall for it. And he didn't. When they brought him to me, he wasn't hungry AT ALL. He just wanted me hold him, rock him, and bounce him while he dozed and tried to sleep longer. I rocked him til they discharged us.... he woke up the minute we put him in his carseat SCREAMING, though. He fell asleep in the car til we got home.... THEN he ate. His appetite was down for the first couple of days at home, too. I forgot about that.

Last edited by Servant4Christ; 11-13-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #39
loonyluna
Registered Users
seller

I am super nervous about the car ride home. Even now, he HATES his car seat. Luckily we live in a pretty small town so it isn't a long trip.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #40
beshan
Registered Users

I am so glad I saw this thread. I didn't have to worry about circumcision since I had a girl the first time around and I didn't CD from the beginning. I am bookmarking this to read again in a few weeks.
beshan is offline   Reply With Quote