Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2018, 11:24 AM   #11
ingodslove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: what's a reasonable amount of clothes for a little girl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna4ce View Post
So thankful to have stumbled on this post! My little boy is 2 and his sister will be joining us this summer. Many of the infant clothes were gender neutral as we were Team Green for his birth, but I'm getting overloaded with the amount of cute little girl things there are! I'm hoping to reuse a lot of the pants and plain colored shirts for this little girl until 12/18 months, but I don't want to get sucked into the frenzy of buying more. It's so difficult not to go back to old habits of just buying everything that's adorable, but I like the suggestions here of 10ish outfits for a little capsule wardrobe. It sounds feasible and I have time to find good quality basics to build it up.

I saved a lot of my boys' clothes and well, my little girl came out with kind of a stocky build, fine, sparse hair that has been slow to grow, and an active personality I ended up buying a batch of pink shirts and tunics, because I was self conscious about people always assuming she was a boy! So, I had these goals of using mostly boys or GN looking clothing, but in the end I had to offset all of that with a hefty dose of pink to be comfortable. Pink was the easiest, simplest way to do it at first, but after a while I realized, I can throw one of those tutu type skirts over anything and that kind of works too.

If I had to do it again, I would have purchased more of the simple pink tops in bigger sizes, because she has outgrown them and now I can't seem to find more and they were so versatile.

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #12
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingodslove View Post

I saved a lot of my boys' clothes and well, my little girl came out with kind of a stocky build, fine, sparse hair that has been slow to grow, and an active personality I ended up buying a batch of pink shirts and tunics, because I was self conscious about people always assuming she was a boy! So, I had these goals of using mostly boys or GN looking clothing, but in the end I had to offset all of that with a hefty dose of pink to be comfortable. Pink was the easiest, simplest way to do it at first, but after a while I realized, I can throw one of those tutu type skirts over anything and that kind of works too.

If I had to do it again, I would have purchased more of the simple pink tops in bigger sizes, because she has outgrown them and now I can't seem to find more and they were so versatile.
When my oldest daughter was young, her hair was pretty thick and it looked like a little boy haircut almost. Didn't matter how much pink I dressed her in or how many bows on her hair....people would still sometimes call her a boy! It drove me crazy. By the time I got a few kids down the line I didn't care anymore, I'd just say thanks (when they were making a cute baby comment, but the wrong gender) and move on.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #13
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's funny. I have a toddler boy without much hair who gets mistaken for a girl, but when I had a toddler girl with the same hair, she was never mistaken for a boy.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #14
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeotwoski View Post
We aim for 5 per kid, plus one for church, and they also have accumulated some suits/fancy dresses that are stored. We homeschool, so they have 2-3 "home clothes" outfits, 2 "public" sets, and when it's not winter they have a set of "work clothes" for when getting dirty is pre-meditated. Really though their home clothes get filthy until the ground is frozen...hence the need for "public" clothes just for going to library, etc.

Big disclaimer: they actually all have a ton of clothes. We've been blessed with hand me downs and since I don't shop often, whenever we're at the thrift store I get anything that does or will fit and meets my standards. There are a dozen or so big totes of sizes we aren't currently using, plus a large closet in one bedroom that is packed full of what does fit now, but is extra. This closet is off limits, but used to resupply as things get worn out/out grown. I'd really like to get rid of all but the current 5-per-person stuff, but I'm always afraid if I do I won't be able to replace it at the time we need it later on. My other problem is I know anything that has gone through my DC will get thrown out by someone else, can't even donate it, so I feel like we need to use it all the way up or it will be wasted. Not sure how to deal with that!
If you have the yellow planetaid bins the donation shouldn't be wasted. At worst it will be recycled into something else. Another possible idea is a daycare. I give some of our stained clothes to the daycare to have for kids who need spare clothes - yes we are suppose to leave a second set but sometimes we forget or sometimes they need 2 sets (my kids go to a daycare where getting messy is ok).
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #15
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
If you have the yellow planetaid bins the donation shouldn't be wasted. At worst it will be recycled into something else. Another possible idea is a daycare. I give some of our stained clothes to the daycare to have for kids who need spare clothes - yes we are suppose to leave a second set but sometimes we forget or sometimes they need 2 sets (my kids go to a daycare where getting messy is ok).
Good ideas. I did just read about labeling it "scrap" and Goodwill takes it, but we don't have anything like that here, just some mom and pop thrift stores. Daycares wouldn't want the stuff when we're done with it
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote