Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #11
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Re: What kind of detergent do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenner0280 View Post
I'm overwhelmed by the choices in detergents. Is it really worth ordering something online or can I just use Ecos or Tide that I can pick up at my local store? Does Charlie's Soap cause blistering rashes and do I really need to prep my washer? Is Country Save really the best all around eco friendly diaper? And does it really clean the diapers? HELP! Opinions Please!
Yes, Charlies can cause blistering rashes and no, you do not need to clean out your washer. Did you read that in the GMD care booklet? Nonsense! I wish they would pare that thing down, it really scares people away from CD. Enzymes are GOOD for most babies, they digest waste matter in diapers. Very very few babies are sensitive to enzymes, while MANY babies are sensitive to Charlies Soap.

IME, Country Save is great for an all natural detergent if that is important to you. The best I have found is Biokleen Premium Plus powder. That stuff can clean anything, and it is all natural! Keep it simple and easy. Wash twice a week, use whatever detergent you already have and plenty of it. Good luck!

Advertisement

Last edited by Melinda29; 12-23-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #12
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

The reality is what works for you may not work for someone else and what works for them may not work for you. After almost 6 years of using CD the key I have found is to just not over think it. You can drive yourself crazy worrying about this stuff which is silly. The worst case scenario is it just doesn't work. They will most certainly not be ruined. In that case you would just try something else. I would say stop thinking about it and just pick something and go for it. You will have to play around with the right amounts, might have to try some bleach or another additive but it really should not be complicated. It's just diaper laundry. I am not gentle nor do I baby my diapers, I'm just too busy to fuss around with this stuff anymore. The best thing I ever did was to just treat them like a load of dirty towels and stop treating them like delicate rags that my baby poops on.

In the beginning I was just where you are and was afraid of ruining them which I realized would be really hard to do. I finally settled on Tide Free powder with some bleach occasionally. That has worked for me for years. So I say whatever you pick just go for it and don't worry.

ETA: I also think not getting your diapers clean is worse in the long run obviously for your baby and your diapers. They are not worth anything to me if I can't put them on my baby. By the way I have been using the same diapers for this whole time now on my 3rd child. No PUL breakdown, no holes in my cotton, diapers all still perfectly functional etc. and I have a TL.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek

Last edited by nonipie; 12-23-2012 at 07:02 AM.
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #13
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use tide pods. I tried bunch of the cd safe detergents and none of them really got my diapers clean unless I bleached every load. My sons were breaking out in rashes so I went ahead and tried tide and my diapers finally got clean and the rashes went away.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #14
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
The reality is what works for you may not work for someone else and what works for them may not work for you. After almost 6 years of using CD the key I have found is to just not over think it. You can drive yourself crazy worrying about this stuff which is silly. The worst case scenario is it just doesn't work. They will most certainly not be ruined. In that case you would just try something else. I would say stop thinking about it and just pick something and go for it. You will have to play around with the right amounts, might have to try some bleach or another additive but it really should not be complicated. It's just diaper laundry. I am not gentle nor do I baby my diapers, I'm just too busy to fuss around with this stuff anymore. The best thing I ever did was to just treat them like a load of dirty towels and stop treating them like delicate rags that my baby poops on.

In the beginning I was just where you are and was afraid of ruining them which I realized would be really hard to do. I finally settled on Tide Free powder with some bleach occasionally. That has worked for me for years. So I say whatever you pick just go for it and don't worry.

ETA: I also think not getting your diapers clean is worse in the long run obviously for your baby and your diapers. They are not worth anything to me if I can't put them on my baby. By the way I have been using the same diapers for this whole time now on my 3rd child. No PUL breakdown, no holes in my cotton, diapers all still perfectly functional etc. and I have a TL.
Yes to not babying the diapers! I used to care about resale value but I realized that was ridiculous! When my older kids have accidents in their underwear or clothes I make sure I was them really well, without any regard as to wrecking them- if the clothes still smell like poop and urine the kids aren't going to wear them until they are clean. The same goes for my diapers. If the diapers happen to be worth something when my DD is done then great, if not then I still saved money by cd'ing.

I used to use Charlie's and have had no rash issues, but I also use it for all of my clothes. I love it, but we have hard water (blah!) and it is not working so well anymore getting the diapers clean, so right now I am trying out All free and clear. The All seems to be doing a good job because the morning diapers have not been stinking like ammonia so I'm going to stick with it.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm not a fan of Charlie's or CS, which I used for about six months. I thought I was but now that I have switched to using Tide F&G powder our night time diapers smell only like urine in the morning and nothing else (no ammonia and no skunk) and they have stopped giving my son what i thought was a chaffing rash. With Charlie's and CS I had to use bleach in my wash routine if i didnt want my nighttime diapers to still smell funky after washing. I haven't had to with Tide F&G. Also our diapers smell cleaner (tide f&g has no fragrance) after drying. I used to think my diapers washed in cs and charlies smelt clean after wash and dry but they actually smell much cleaner and like nothing now (I'm pregnant so my smell radar is good lol). I really wanted to like and only use natural "cd safe" detergents in our home but after switching to Tide F&G I'm really loving how much cleaner our clothes and diapers look and smell. I've tried Allen's, Charlie's, CS and EcoSprouts (horrible rashes with ES!). All worked so-so in both hard and soft water but required bleach. For mainstream ive tried reg liquid Tide and Gain with no luck.

ETA: Whatever I use on our diapers I use on our clothes, so we had no issues with blistering rashes from Charlie's. But did have detergent rash with EcoSprouts (non-blistering).

Last edited by momma_dna; 12-23-2012 at 11:09 AM.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #16
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've been using Allen's Naturally liquid for 4.5yrs w/o any problems

my family have VERY sensitive skin. when we buy used clothing/diapers washed w/ tide I have to wash them 3+ times before they can be worn w/o causing a rash.

Last edited by Junipervt; 12-23-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Junipervt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #17
flylady0505
Registered Users
seller

]Hi I'm with you on the tide pods I always rinse out my diapers really well before they go in dry pail been using Rocken green but still they didn't feel clean or have a nice clean smell and that is with rinsing my diapers I could only imagine the moms who put pee dipes in dry pail with out rinsing no way would cloth detergent do the job with no stinkies I use the tide pods now with extra rinse cycle and no problems at all.[/QUOTE]
flylady0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #18
flylady0505
Registered Users
seller

Ps really I think also you can use what you like as long as you do 2 rinse cycles I have a top loader so works well for me not sure how many rinses you would need with a front loader as I know they don't use much water I hear a lot of moms complain about front loaders if mine ever goes I will still buy top loader.
flylady0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #19
KnitLady
Registered Users
seller

Regular, ole Tide. I was terrified of ruining my diapers as well in the beginning. I used Allens, then Charlies, and neither of them cleaned very well. There was a big thread a few years ago that encouraged a lot of people to switch to Tide. I switched because of that thread, and my diapers smelled great. Occasionally I got some build up, and I'd just strip them, no big deal.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #20
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

I use targets Clean pristine. I find for us it cleans as well if not a bit better than tide sill contains enzymes which I find vital for diaper washing yet none of the other added stuff. My DD is sensitive to brightners and colors so while tide for use works fablous on diapers it wasn't the best for her skin. I also find this detergent rinses better than most.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote