Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2016, 02:36 PM   #11
Mrsmoon
Registered Users
seller

Re: Preventing preterm labor

water, water and more water! rest and someone else mentioned extra protein which can help. Best wishes mama!

Advertisement

Mrsmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:33 PM   #12
SCTwinMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I did a lot of research on preventing preterm labor when pregnant with my twins. The research led me to do the following:

Water. Lots of water. more than you think you need. Can't have too much.

Keep gaining weight. This is less of an issue with a singleton but it is important to keep an eye on your weight and keep gaining an appropriate amount. Especially high-protein foods.

Vitamin C supports skin health, and the amniotic sack is a part of that system. So, in theory, sufficient levels of vitamin C should help promote a strong amniotic sack, which would prevent tears and leaks and ruptures which could lead to preterm labor and/or preterm birth (emergency C-section due to rupture). Your prenatal should have enough, for a singleton baby I wouldn't worry about taking more but do try to eat some good fruits/veggies everyday with vitamin C. If you take too much, you will just pee it out, wont hurt you.

Omega 3, from recent research, is now thought to play a biochemical role in preventing preterm labor. In addition, most Americans are deficient in it, and there are some theories that the 3-ish% shrinkage in pregnant women's brains (not making that up--we've known about this for years) may be caused by the body robbing the mother's brain of Omega 3 in a desperate attempt to give it to the developing child. Fish oil supplements are wildly available, and salmon, crab and some other seafoods are good sources. Walnuts contain omega 3, although it is a slightly less beneficial version of it than animal sources. DHA is best.

The twins were my first pregnancy, and I carried them to 35 1/2 weeks with them weighing collectively 13lbs. For their gestational age they were at the 90th percentile for singletons and came home with me.

Congrats and best wishes!
SCTwinMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:00 PM   #13
MaineMomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTwinMommy View Post
I did a lot of research on preventing preterm labor when pregnant with my twins. The research led me to do the following:

Keep gaining weight. This is less of an issue with a singleton but it is important to keep an eye on your weight and keep gaining an appropriate amount. Especially high-protein foods.

Vitamin C supports skin health, and the amniotic sack is a part of that system. So, in theory, sufficient levels of vitamin C should help promote a strong amniotic sack, which would prevent tears and leaks and ruptures which could lead to preterm labor and/or preterm birth (emergency C-section due to rupture). Your prenatal should have enough, for a singleton baby I wouldn't worry about taking more but do try to eat some good fruits/veggies everyday with vitamin C. If you take too much, you will just pee it out, wont hurt you.

Omega 3, from recent research, is now thought to play a biochemical role in preventing preterm labor. In addition, most Americans are deficient in it, and there are some theories that the 3-ish% shrinkage in pregnant women's brains (not making that up--we've known about this for years) may be caused by the body robbing the mother's brain of Omega 3 in a desperate attempt to give it to the developing child. Fish oil supplements are wildly available, and salmon, crab and some other seafoods are good sources. Walnuts contain omega 3, although it is a slightly less beneficial version of it than animal sources. DHA is best.

The twins were my first pregnancy, and I carried them to 35 1/2 weeks with them weighing collectively 13lbs. For their gestational age they were at the 90th percentile for singletons and came home with me.

Awesome weights! My twins were 35 weeks 3 days and weighed 5lb 7oz & 4lb 13oz. They had to stay in the Nicu for 12 days.
MaineMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:38 PM   #14
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTwinMommy View Post

Thank you so much for sharing your research!
Old 02-04-2016, 06:55 PM   #15
SCTwinMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMomma View Post
Awesome weights! My twins were 35 weeks 3 days and weighed 5lb 7oz & 4lb 13oz. They had to stay in the Nicu for 12 days.
Thank you and congratulations yourself! Just getting to the finish line is a big deal in any twin pregnancy, so good on you! I was so swollen--I literally gained 30lbs in the last 10 days of my pregnancy! The photos of that time don't even look real--looks like a poster for an abstinence-only campaign! lol!
SCTwinMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #16
cat8120
Registered Users
seller

water, take it easy, and no stress! Easier said than done.
cat8120 is offline   Reply With Quote