Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
MotherGoose518
Registered Users

Exclusive breastfeeding and fluoride...

Thoughts? They wanted me to start DD on flouride drops at her 4 month appointment but I said I wanted to wait to decide what to do about flouride until she was old enough to take a cup. Her 6 month appointment is next month and I really need to make a decision. On the one hand, breast milk is a whole and complete food that doesn't need anything added to or taken from it. On the other and, everything I'm reading says that babies don't get the flouride they need through breast milk. The only thing I can find on the LLL site is that the AAP says no flouride before 6 months. I am not really keen on the idea of giving her water in a cup as that will affect my milk supply and I do not feel she is old enough to be seeking nourishment or hydration elsewhere either. On the OTHER hand there is a strong family history of poor dental health and I am being told that they really need flouride while the teeth or still forming under the gums to make the enamel strong to begin with. I'm usually a pretty decisive person - knowing what I should do and why - but this time I'm stumped.

Advertisement

MTHFR + possible Ehler's Danlos Syndrome
Lovenox, Folic Acid Therapy, Aspirin Therapy
MotherGoose518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:22 AM   #2
mother_04_07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Exclusive breastfeeding and fluoride...

my Ryan was Exclusive breastfed till he was 7mos before starting any "outside nourish " *Ryan is still nursing +"outside nourish "*

our ped did not even talk about fluoride drops till Ryan was 10mos
6/02 ~ 7/02~ 12/03 9/04 Born @ 38.0w LifeFlight/NICU/IA defect Surgery #1@3days old,#2 2/06, #3 11/09,#4 6/10,#5 8/10
7/2007born emergency c-section @39.0wIn STOCK Mama Cloth & PAST WORK
mother_04_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
lirpasirhc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Exclusive breastfeeding and fluoride...

read the original study and some of the subsequent studies on fluoride. sorry that i don't have the links, but you should find info if you google it. fluoride is a fertilizer byproduct. ingesting it (i.e., drops, water) never prevents cavities and can cause lumpy, discolored, and weak enamel and brittle bones. topical application can prevent some types of cavities. in the original study, researchers found that poor farm workers drank water contaminated with fluoride. the farmers had weak, lumpy, brown enamel and few cavities. the water also had lots of minerals (calcium, magnesium?) which have been proven to prevent cavities. the researchers ignored the minerals and assumed the fertilizer runoff (i.e., fluoride) prevented the cavities. several studies have shown that there is no difference in the incidence of cavities in similar populations (i.e., same race, socioeconomic levels) in counties with and without water fluoridation. most other developed countries already gave up on fluoridation. i have a water filter to remove the fluoride, and DD isn't getting the drops.
lirpasirhc is offline   Reply With Quote