Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
Registered Users
Re: Carseat in low speed accident while not in use

I'm very careful with the seats I use for my dd and honestly, I would take the Britaxes in a heartbeat. As long as you know and trust her and make sure she hasn't submerged the straps in water/machine washed them etc then go for it! I know all seats undergo the same testing but honestly I have a few different seats, older Radian 65s, Graco Myride65, Safety First Onboard Air 35, and then I have a Cosco Scenera.... While I DO use the Scenera for travel I honestly do not think its as safe as the other seats for every day use... It doesn't have any extra padding or a strong frame to protect the child... It may be just as safe technically but I still personally feel more comfortable using a more substantial seat like a Britax, Radian/Diono etc for everyday use!

Happy to be mama to my sweet little home birthed, breastfed, extended rear facing, co-sleeping, cloth diapered, snuggled and loved baby girl Havana Desai 5-18-09
Blessed to be mama to my little Angel Teya Mackenzie born into heaven on 3-27-08
looking8186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Carseat in low speed accident while not in use

We have absolutely no proof that a steel framed seat is more safe. For all we know, the plastic could absorb and dissipate crash forces better than steel. Cushioning within the seat is for comfort, it doesn't do anything protection wise. EPS and EPP foam (the styrofoam looking stuff) does but we don't know to what extent.

Spending more money on a seat gets you nicer features but it does not necessarily buy safety.

If the seats were replaced by an insurance company, they should have been destroyed. I don't think its ethical to reuse them.
monica-m is offline   Reply With Quote