Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2018, 08:21 PM   #11
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Re: Newborn stash questions...

Yeah, I guess I just meant is there a downside to simplex? Like, are there situations they aren't good for? Say...if someone had a stash I could borrow, will that be all I need, or are there times when simplex just don't do the job? (Or some similar diaper like thirsties naio)

Advertisement

Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:49 PM   #12
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

I can't say I tried it but WH would likely work at night for a newborn. Fitteds are a good Nightime option for heavy wetters.

Never used simplex but I would imagine night might not be the best time for them.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 03-02-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:25 PM   #13
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

A mama on a FB cd group posted a pic of her nb in a large WH snappied/rise folded down. Something to consider since you have large WH.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:21 PM   #14
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamInGreen View Post
A mama on a FB cd group posted a pic of her nb in a large WH snappied/rise folded down. Something to consider since you have large WH.
Whoa. That sounds huge. And probably crazy absorbant.

I think what I really need to do is learn to use flats and prefolds better. Surely I can figure out how to make those work. I get so frustrated with snappi-ing the flip flats that my son literally growls for me every night as I'm getting him ready. He's like "arrrrgh". But I think prefolds snappi easier, I just forget how we folded them on DS when he was little and we didn't like him feeling wet all night. I could make some fleece liners...

I was also thinking maybe a different type of flat I could handle better. I love these because they're so stretchy and soft, but they're a pretty tight weave so the snappi doesn't grip well. Or. For me, it doesn't. But then I read that flats can be pretty bulky on a nb.

I'll keep reading. I have time.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:16 PM   #15
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

If you want simplex: https://blueberryandme.com/products/newborn-grab-bag

If you're looking for a different flat... well, I really liked the gmd nb muslin flats. They work well with a snappi.

Or I did the mini kite/neat fold with a small birdseye.
DS when he was about 1 month old and 8 lbs:

It was a lot of bulk, but it worked.

And yes, fleece liners are really easy to make. I recommend microfleece since it's thinner.
apeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #16
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

I don't want to spend even that much on simplex I did get a grab bag of used ones from My Sweet Pickles - 10 for $75, so now I feel like I can't spend any more than that on them.

Do muslin flats feel like muslin swaddle blankets? Are they basically the same type of fabrics?

I'm thinking about making some flats but I haven't decided what fabric to use yet.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:34 PM   #17
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think they are the same material. They are both muslin, GMDs are a double weave. GMDs are not as soft as an Aden & Anais swaddle, but are about as soft as a generic swaddle I have.

Last edited by zeotwoski; 03-04-2018 at 02:35 PM.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:05 PM   #18
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Question for chirpy (or anyone, actually, I just know she has used both): do you think it would be easier for me (I mean for ME, the newb at flats) to snappi sweet iris caramels than flip flats?

...Because I read somewhere that this fabric is similar to caramels, and it would still be trim and stretchy and soft I think like the flips: https://www.kinderel.com/collections/bamboo-jersey
Old 03-04-2018, 07:31 PM   #19
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
Question for chirpy (or anyone, actually, I just know she has used both): do you think it would be easier for me (I mean for ME, the newb at flats) to snappi sweet iris caramels than flip flats?

...Because I read somewhere that this fabric is similar to caramels, and it would still be trim and stretchy and soft I think like the flips: https://www.kinderel.com/collections/bamboo-jersey

Ok I *think* you are mixing up Sweet Iris with Fruit of the Womb (FOTW).

FOTW jersey flats are called Caramel. They can be Snappi'd, sure. But it isn't super easy to Snappi. It's about like the Flip flats, maybe a little easier.

Sweet Iris are easy to Snappi. They are stretchy and trim and soft also. FOTW are a touch trimmer. Sweet Iris are a touch more absorbent. I used Sweet Iris on a newborn before and it was Heavenly. They are actually bamboo French terry with the teeny tiny loops on one side.

Make sense?
MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:15 PM   #20
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Oh yes, you're right. FOTW. Yes, yes. Sweet iris are a bit bulkier? I'm guessing I'll get frustrated with the caramels if they're similar to the flips - both are Jersey so it makes sense that both are similar. Maybe I'll look for some bamboo french Terry. I think I need to start out with something simple to snappi or I'll get mad and crazy and nobody wants to see me like that.