Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2018, 09:34 PM   #21
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Newborn stash questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
Oh yes, you're right. FOTW. Yes, yes. Sweet iris are a bit bulkier? I'm guessing I'll get frustrated with the caramels if they're similar to the flips - both are Jersey so it makes sense that both are similar. Maybe I'll look for some bamboo french Terry. I think I need to start out with something simple to snappi or I'll get mad and crazy and nobody wants to see me like that.

I wouldn't call Sweet Iris bulky. Not at all. Just a touch thicker material than the caramel.

Advertisement

MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:39 PM   #22
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Ok. I think I'm going to try some bamboo french Terry. I think they might be my ticket to snappi mastery. Thanks for the input! I knew you knew everything I wanted to know!
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #23
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Ok. I think I'm going to try some bamboo french Terry. I think they might be my ticket to snappi mastery. Thanks for the input! I knew you knew everything I wanted to know!

Well I'm glad I can help someone with this stuff in my brain.

Nature's Fabrics has the closest to Sweet Iris. Bamboo stretch French terry is what they call it.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:39 AM   #24
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
Well I'm glad I can help someone with this stuff in my brain.
This is exactly how I feel about my CD knowledge, lol! What to do with it!!
Old 03-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #25
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeeling View Post
And yes, fleece liners are really easy to make. I recommend microfleece since it's thinner.
I would vote for suedecloth instead of fleece, super thin and I felt like it was a better stay dry effect. Just make sure you get soft suedecloth, it is not all make equal. Sometimes its referred to as "butter suedecloth".
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #26
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Ok, so I ordered 2 yds of bamboo french Terry and 2 yds of bamboo stretch Jersey and they came today and I love them both. I tried a snappi and can do both pretty well (Terry is definitely easier than the Jersey, like MamaChirpy said it would be, but I think I can handle them both). I'm going to prep the fabric before cutting so it can shrink all it wants now, but what size should I cut them? I'm thinking half flats size (15x30 or so), mainly because I think that will be trimmer on a nb, but I can still use them on a toddler later if I want. I'm not planning on them being main diapers past the NB stage, but maybe would like to use them like I do now, for when we're down to only a few diapers a week again. Of course, who knows. What should I do? I just don't want very bulky on a nb, but it seems like I should cut something sort of versatile too. It seems like sweet iris does 20x20 for nb or 15x30 for half flats. FOTW does 18x18 for NB...

If I cut to a nb size, will I never use them after 3 mos?
Old 03-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #27
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Ok, so I ordered 2 yds of bamboo french Terry and 2 yds of bamboo stretch Jersey and they came today and I love them both. I tried a snappi and can do both pretty well (Terry is definitely easier than the Jersey, like MamaChirpy said it would be, but I think I can handle them both). I'm going to prep the fabric before cutting so it can shrink all it wants now, but what size should I cut them? I'm thinking half flats size (15x30 or so), mainly because I think that will be trimmer on a nb, but I can still use them on a toddler later if I want. I'm not planning on them being main diapers past the NB stage, but maybe would like to use them like I do now, for when we're down to only a few diapers a week again. Of course, who knows. What should I do? I just don't want very bulky on a nb, but it seems like I should cut something sort of versatile too. It seems like sweet iris does 20x20 for nb or 15x30 for half flats. FOTW does 18x18 for NB...

If I cut to a nb size, will I never use them after 3 mos?

My favorite size for newborns is 20" by 20."

That is perfect IMO and lasts 4 months or so. Half size would be awesome also. Your Flip flats are about that size but not quite.

If you want to use them for a long time, I would probably do half size.

Holocene (I think?) did a post on Sweet Iris half flats on a newborn. Search for it. She included tons of pictures.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:50 PM   #28
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Ahhhh that was a great post. Thanks for pointing me to it! Now I want all half flats, and now I have to figure out this neat fold. I found some tutorials on here but the pics are all photo bucket and don't work. I'll check the Google.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:18 PM   #29
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Ahhhh that was a great post. Thanks for pointing me to it! Now I want all half flats, and now I have to figure out this neat fold. I found some tutorials on here but the pics are all photo bucket and don't work. I'll check the Google.

Yep. It is a good 'un. I have been wanting my stretchy flats back some kinda bad.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #30
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

I loved the neat fold! Especially good if your flats are rectangular. Boo that photobucket took down the pics - but I'm sure you can find them elsewhere or a video on youtube.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote