Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
Leileimarie
Registered Users
seller

Help me not worry....

Hi mamas. So my LO is 7.5 months old and is EBF. This was not an easy road for us due to a lip/tongue tie and always feeling/worrying that I was not producing enough (although he is on the small side the dr never had me supplement.... Can I be annoyed about how often I hear "he's so small" he wears 6-9 months) He is happy and healthy. He was still waking every 2-3 hrs at night but in the last two weeks he just wakes up once around 12:00 then 5:00 then 7:30 and I'm totally happy with that because I am afraid if he sleeps anymore I will lose my supply. And of course he isn't nursing as much during the day either and I can feel my supply is less but he always has it there when he wants it. I fight with myself as to whether I should wake up and pump/pump during the day to keep supply up or even during the day I'll feel like I just need to nurse him "just because", not that he is fussing or anything. I know my body should just adjust and make what he needs but should I pump during the day or take a supplement to make sure I don't lose my supply? Or am I being way to paranoid? Lol. I should mention my first one had an undiagnosed lip/tongue tie and could never get her off the shield and never produced enough with her. I tried to BF for three months but then returned to work and pumped for one feeding a day of breast milk for 6 months. Thankfully I knew what to look for this time around. So anyway, I'm trying not to freak out and just enjoy this. Guess looking for some reassurance thanks ladies!

Advertisement

Leileimarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:47 PM   #2
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help me not worry....

You're doing fine! I did not feed my kids at all during the night after 5 months and had no supply problems. If he is naturally ready to drop feeds, then let him. I wouldn't disturb his natural sleep patterns, plus, its good for you and your supply to sleep as well.

Happy and healthy, as you mention, is the key. Some kids are big and some are small and some are inbetween... as long as yours is continuing to gain appropriately (staying on his growth curve) there is nothing to worry about!

And kudos for sticking with it through your earlier struggles!
Old 01-10-2016, 05:48 PM   #3
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

BTW - I did pump in the morning a bit after my kids ate once they started dropping feeds. It was a great way to stock up some milk while my supply was high. Just an FYI.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:01 PM   #4
Leileimarie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby's mom View Post
You're doing fine! I did not feed my kids at all during the night after 5 months and had no supply problems. If he is naturally ready to drop feeds, then let him. I wouldn't disturb his natural sleep patterns, plus, its good for you and your supply to sleep as well.

Happy and healthy, as you mention, is the key. Some kids are big and some are small and some are inbetween... as long as yours is continuing to gain appropriately (staying on his growth curve) there is nothing to worry about!

And kudos for sticking with it through your earlier struggles!

Thank you for the encouraging words! I've been feeling better about it and not worrying as much. I think it's because of the struggle and hard work in the beginning that it makes me sad that he is BF less. Lol.... I should be happy because I can actually get things done and spend time with my 2y old. Guess he is just growing too fast but I do like the idea of building up my freezer stash... May start doing what you suggested. Thanks again!
Leileimarie is offline   Reply With Quote