Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
kbenson21
Registered Users
seller

Travel while breastfeeding

I may be nuts for even thinking about this, but thought I'd see if anyone had tried this.
My work needs me to travel next month to another location for training. It would be 3 days total including travel and I wouldn't be bringing my daughter. I have plenty of frozen milk to use while I'm gone. I think I could make it work to pump while I was gone and be able to freeze it and ship it home. May be difficult in the airport though? The direct flights from one city to another are expensive, not sure work would pay the higher cost. Would it be worth the hassle? I'm thinking probably not!
I'd like to go because it's easier to train in person then over the phone and I have a lot of coworkers I communicate with regularly in the other location I'd love to see again

Advertisement

kbenson21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenson21
I may be nuts for even thinking about this, but thought I'd see if anyone had tried this. My work needs me to travel next month to another location for training. It would be 3 days total including travel and I wouldn't be bringing my daughter. I have plenty of frozen milk to use while I'm gone. I think I could make it work to pump while I was gone and be able to freeze it and ship it home. May be difficult in the airport though? The direct flights from one city to another are expensive, not sure work would pay the higher cost. Would it be worth the hassle? I'm thinking probably not! I'd like to go because it's easier to train in person then over the phone and I have a lot of coworkers I communicate with regularly in the other location I'd love to see again
palooka isn't really around much anymore but she regularly travels for work and breastfeeds. I'm not sure if she would get a PM but you could try and see if she has any tips
Old 09-12-2015, 01:49 PM   #3
kbenson21
Registered Users
seller

Re: Travel while breastfeeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
palooka isn't really around much anymore but she regularly travels for work and breastfeeds. I'm not sure if she would get a PM but you could try and see if she has any tips
Thanks!
kbenson21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:50 PM   #4
ajanele
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I went on a 7 day vacation when DS1 was a year old. I pumped while we were gone and returned to the same breastfeeding schedule when we got home. I'm sure you'll have no issues
Old 09-12-2015, 07:49 PM   #5
special.k.marie
Registered Users
seller
seller

From what I've read, if you don't have a nursing baby with you in the airport, you can't bring breast milk with you past security.
Depending on how far you travel, could you possibly look into donating your milk while you are out of town? It would keep your supply up and eliminate the issue with transporting it back home.

Looking for new earrings? Visit my etsy shop and use code DIAPERSWAPPERS20 for 20% off!
SPARKLY STRANDS
special.k.marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #6
romigu
Registered Users

I've brought milk through security. They will put it through a liquid screening machine (without touching the milk) and then pass you through. If it frozen, they will not test it at all but it has to be completely frozen.
romigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #7
my2littlemen
Registered Users

You should have no problems bringing breastmilk through security. I second what the PP said...they will just screen it. Take a look at this website: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-p...eling-children.

If you have enough milk stored at home and aren't worried about your freezer stash, it may be just as easy to pump and dump rather than worrying about getting it home. Either way you really shouldn't have any problems maintaining your supply. Plenty of people exclusively pump and that's basically what you'll be doing. That said, it shouldn't be that big of a deal to bring it on your flight with you. It would be even better if you have a fridge/freezer in your hotel and you can freeze it there first....it is just a little extra insurance that you don't have to worry about it going bad.
my2littlemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

I've traveled while breastfeeding quite a bit. I have never tried to bring BM through security without a baby, although I think that it is allowed.

What worked best for me on a shorter trip was just to pack a cooler with ice packs and check the BM in with my luggage. WAY cheaper than shipping it home.

I also didn't freeze. I was always so worried that it would partially defrost and I would lose some of it. If I had to ship, I shipped it in a cooler with ice packs overnight. My husband said the milk was always cold when it got home.
gabby's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #9
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

I bought those purse-like coolers from Target that were flexible so they fit in my bag really well.
gabby's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:47 PM   #10
sprior
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've traveled many times while pumping for all three of my children. Here are my tips: bring your own cooler it will save you time on your trip. Ask for a fridge in your room or if it's longer trip consider a residence type hotel with a fridge/freezer. I've done both. I've also put my milk in room service freezer among the frozen shrimp and I can't recommend that.

The other secret for longer trips is dry ice. The airlines will let you take it on board, usually they have a limit of under 5 lbs. I just traveled to Texas from NY last month, had no problems with my pump and personal ice pack on the plane (I sit in the back seats of the plane and pump with coat over me.) If your flight is totally full, you may need to pump in the bathroom but flight attendants have offered me the galley which is a nice alternative.

When I was in Texas ten pounds of dry ice lasted me two full days and last of it was just evaporating in my cooler when I got home. I have also shipped frozen breast milk in a cooler with dry ice from longer trips. Fedex took it no problem and I charged it to my work account.
sprior is offline   Reply With Quote