Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2016, 10:40 AM   #1
thennrich
Registered Users

My Mood:
Coping with ADHD while BF

I am expecting DS#2 in August and am curious about what other BF, ADHD Momma's do to stay focused and productive. With my first I abstained the entire TTC period, pregnancy, and through weaning at 11 months. I did not want to wean so early, but the struggle became overwhelming so I made the decision to go back on my meds. Fast forward 2 years and here we are! I have followed the same pattern of being off my meds while TTC and pregnant and plan to go as long as possible with EBF then BF + solids. I have even heard of some moms that still take certain meds (with their doctor's approval) but wean out daytime feedings to account for the half life of the medication. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

thennrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Coping with ADHD while BF

I'm ADD/ADHD.
I've never been on meds. I choose other ways to deal. While BFing I watch a show or play on my phone. I have always been a list person to keep myself focused and on task. If not nothing would ever get done.

Last edited by kushie tushie; 04-26-2016 at 11:36 AM.
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:05 AM   #3
thennrich
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you for your input!
Old 04-30-2016, 05:37 PM   #4
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What meds do you need to be on? I can look them up in Dr. Hale's book for you. You could also talk to a LC. I'm sure you're not the only BFing mom that feels they need to be on those sorts of meds.

((Jamie: mom to six! Domestic diva, in love with my firefighter. Harley Ann arrived 12/29/15 at 7lbs 9oz & 21" *My posts are for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice*))
Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #5
thennrich
Registered Users

My Mood:

My meds are Zoloft (psych and OB approved me to stay on during pregnancy and while bfing) and Straterra (currently off) for a variety of depression, anxiety, and add/adhd symptoms. I have seen a therapist in the past, but I am textbook chemical imbalance (no underlying cause/trauma) Calling me "high strung" is quite the understatement. I know mental health medication can still carry a stigma, and opinions on taking them during pregnancy/bfing can been extremely polarized. I appreciate any other input, thanks!
Old 05-01-2016, 08:57 PM   #6
luvmybaby333
Registered Users
seller

I took Ritalin for my ADHD for a couple of years. I found that it really helped, but I decided to stop taking it last year in anticipation of TTC. I didn't really wean down, so I expected a pretty rough adjustment period. That period never came. I was shocked. It seemed like some days I was even more productive than I had been-- and without the afternoon crashes I'd experience on the medicine. I was really confused.. until I realized what I'd done. It turns out that around the same time that I quit Ritalin, I started taking large doses of (good quality) fish oil supplements. I hadn't made the connection at first because I started taking a few different things at that time, and hadn't realized that fish oil was actually a natural remedy recommended to parents of children with ADHD. I was also dealing with some stressful personal stuff, so rather than exploring my curiosity-- I was just grateful that I wasn't experiencing a loss of function after stopping the meds.

Unfortunately, I had to stop taking it after about 9 months. I had developed a serious blinking tic that I eventually traced back to the fish oil-- but this is further evidence of its usefulness for ADHD. It was causing the same reaction in me that some stimulant users develop while on medication. Apparently it affects the brain in the same way. Disappointing for me, but pretty cool for other people who don't have my kind if luck.

ETA: Sorry for all the auto-correct typos. My Kindle hates me.

Last edited by luvmybaby333; 05-02-2016 at 02:49 PM.
luvmybaby333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:52 AM   #7
Bump2b
Registered Users
seller

I have been on dexamphetamine to treat my ADD but haven't taken any since TTC, pregnancy and breastfeeding. I do know someone who ended up taking her medications during the latter part of her pregnancy since her ADD was tied in with her depression. Her Drs believed it was for the greater good. i do sometimes wonder if I would be a much better mother if I got back on the meds. Unfortunately without the meds I find it very difficult to stay focused and productive.

I have some things that help. I have a notepad on the fridge with a meal plan and shopping list. On the back I write down all the most popular meals that worked so I can use that for ideas. In my car I carry everything I could possibly need for the kids. There is no use in me hoping to pack everything properly so I have spare nappies, baby carrier, clothing, wipes, snacks, etc. I still pack things for going out and it is technically a back up stash but it is a lifesaver! I have a lot more multiples of items than most people because things are inevitably lost, etc. hope this helps!
Bump2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #8
thennrich
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybaby333 View Post
I took Ritalin for my ADHD for a couple of years. I found that it really helped, but I decided to stop taking it last year in anticipation of TTC. I didn't really wean down, so I expected a pretty rough adjustment period. That period never came. I was shocked. It seemed like some days I was even more productive than I had been-- and without the afternoon crashes I'd experience on the medicine. I was really confused.. until I realized what I'd done. It turns out that around the same time that I quit Ritalin, I started taking large doses of (good quality) fish oil supplements. I hadn't made the connection at first because I started taking a few different things at that time, and hadn't realized that fish oil was actually a natural remedy recommended to parents of children with ADHD. I was also reading with some stressful personal stuff, so rather than expecting my curiosity I was just fearful that I want steering a loss of function after stopping the meds.

Unfortunately, I had to stop taking it after about 9 months. I had developed a serious blinking tic that I eventually traced back to the fish oil-- but this is further evidence of its usefulness for ADHD. It was causing the same reaction in me that some users develop while on medication. Apparently it affects the brain in the same way. Disappointing for me, but pretty cool for other people who don't have my kind if luck.

You know, I used to take krill oil before developing a shellfish allergy from DS#1 pregnancy (go figure!) and never switched over to fish oil. I bet that would do wonders! Fatty acids are linked to brain function and memory, so I should have made the connection. Thank you so much for your input!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:28 AM   #9
thennrich
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump2b View Post
I have been on dexamphetamine to treat my ADD but haven't taken any since TTC, pregnancy and breastfeeding. I do know someone who ended up taking her medications during the latter part of her pregnancy since her ADD was tied in with her depression. Her Drs believed it was for the greater good. i do sometimes wonder if I would be a much better mother if I got back on the meds. Unfortunately without the meds I find it very difficult to stay focused and productive.

I have some things that help. I have a notepad on the fridge with a meal plan and shopping list. On the back I write down all the most popular meals that worked so I can use that for ideas. In my car I carry everything I could possibly need for the kids. There is no use in me hoping to pack everything properly so I have spare nappies, baby carrier, clothing, wipes, snacks, etc. I still pack things for going out and it is technically a back up stash but it is a lifesaver! I have a lot more multiples of items than most people because things are inevitably lost, etc. hope this helps!
I'm so happy to hear that someone else struggles with meal planning and being prepared! It sounds like we have a lot in common. Right now I feel like cooking is the bane of my existence between food aversions and having everything I need in the pantry. Thankfully my husband and son don't mind eating the same 2-3 meals every week. Also, have almost everything packed in the car for day to day travel. I wish I could take credit for this, but as I am a teacher that travels to multiple buildings per day, it was pretty much thrust upon me! My cargo area organizer has a "family" bin with snacks, extras clothes, etc.

On a side not :My issues, like your friend's, are also tied to depression/anxiety so I have remained on my SSRI with dr's approval. Hopefully with the variety of suggestions I can make it longer with bf this DS. Even just talking to other mommas about similar struggles is encouraging. Thank you so much for your input!
Old 05-02-2016, 02:54 PM   #10
luvmybaby333
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thennrich View Post
You know, I used to take krill oil before developing a shellfish allergy from DS#1 pregnancy (go figure!) and never switched over to fish oil. I bet that would do wonders! Fatty acids are linked to brain function and memory, so I should have made the connection. Thank you so much for your input!
You are very welcome! I've been debating on trying it again myself. The blinking got so bad toward the end that I was functionally blind (At that point I'd started doubling my dose of fish oil, hoping it would help-- not realizing it was the cause. LOL), so I'm super scared to deal with that again... But at the same time, it is so important for brain health and I don't want to deprive my belly-baby of that. I just need to decide how much I really enjoy driving... and reading... and typing.
luvmybaby333 is offline   Reply With Quote