Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
katiegud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: August 2016 May Chat

I have diapers, a pack-n-play, some clothes, a ring sling, and a wrap. I still need a car seat, but we don't have a car, so I have to get that first! Since we've moving when I'm 30 weeks, I'm putting off getting some stuff until post-move.

DD just felt her new sister kick for the first time, so that was exciting. Usually the baby is most active at night (11 pm on - which does not bode well for later!), so DD has been asleep. This time she decided to throw a few big kicks in the afternoon.

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2016, 05:49 PM   #12
scrapandsewon
Registered Users

My Mood:

Dagny- I'm sorry to hear about the allergies! No fun!! I too have had this feeling that I need to be prepared for an unexpected home birth. So, I have gathered all the needed supplies. Thanks Amazon! I'm planning to put it all into a smallish plastic tote and keep in the van, just in case. Easier to grab it out of the van when we're home, than to need it when we are away from home.

On another topic, I just spent a couple hours sorting through my diaper stash, and I have a lot more in my NB stash than I thought!! There's potentially a few more in boxes yet to be unpacked. Some are extremely girly ones that will stay at the bottom of the basket.

NB Diaper Stash
5 Preemie flannel fitteds
16 XXS/Preemie covers
35 Preemie/NB prefolds
4 NB flannel fitteds - need snaps
10 NB AIOs
(from here down fit to about 15 lbs, so they're too big for at least the first 3-4 weeks)
17 NB Fitteds
19 NB Cover
13 NB Covers w/Gussets

As for other baby supplies, we will need a convertible car seat after he grows out of the infant car seat. Possibly a baby swing, three out of five kids didn't like the swing so we probably will need it for the last one, . There are things I want to knit for him, but honestly, we don't have to buy anything else. We hit great sales at Carter's for baby boy clothes, everything else, I still have from the other kids.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #13
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's funny that two of you think you might have an unplanned home birth. I had a dream the other night that I had baby at home before I could get to the hospital, so I just stayed home with him. It was pretty nice. (I had home births before but we've moved and hospital is what I'm stuck with this time. )
Old 05-11-2016, 08:03 AM   #14
scrapandsewon
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've already discussed the possibility of the unplanned homebirth with my midwife. If it happens, and all is just fine, we will just stay home and call her in the morning to schedule a follow up.
She even filled me in on the logistics of getting his birth certificate, etc.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #15
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapandsewon View Post
I've already discussed the possibility of the unplanned homebirth with my midwife. If it happens, and all is just fine, we will just stay home and call her in the morning to schedule a follow up.
She even filled me in on the logistics of getting his birth certificate, etc.
That's my worry if I did give birth at home. How would I handle the birth certificate and things? I would REALLY not want to take my newborn to the hospital and pay all that money (probably even more $ because they'd consider it some sort of emergency situation) when the delivery already happened, just to make the drs happy and get the birth certificate.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:19 PM   #16
Kelley76
Registered Users
seller

Hi everyone! I went for an ultrasound and baby boy is measuring perfect so far. Remember, he's got SUA. Fluid is also right on track. He's 28 weeks, 2 # 11 oz. I start seeing the ob every two weeks now. Oh, I also did the GD test and got a shot for whooping cough.

Dagny- that's a lot of nb diapers!! Looks great!

I still need to order my nb's. I want some nana bottoms and a few doublers. I need a nice carrier, I'm thinking a lillebabe. I also need the small things like shampoo, etc..and a baby book.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #17
scrapandsewon
Registered Users

My Mood:

Basically, all you have to do is contact the health department. Let them know you had an unassisted/unexpected home birth. Then they send you the forms, or may tell you to come in and pick them up. Other than that, she said to do your best at getting the baby's weight. She recommended just weighing yourself, then weigh yourself holding baby. Then disposing of the placenta, if you decide to throw it away, be sure to wrap it up and put in a dark trash bag, because it could be considered medical waste. We will bury ours, unless I decide to encapsulate it.
For the actual delivery, a waterproof mattress pad, for just in case. Blankets that you don't care if they get ruined, then something to clamp the umbilical cord, and sterile scissors for cutting the cord, and a bulb syringe for clearing baby's mouth/nose.
Amazon has an emergency OB kit for just about $10-12. I also ordered all the postpartum goodies, like perinatal ice packs, pads, some large sized briefs for comfort, peri bottles and Dermoplast.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #18
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapandsewon View Post
Basically, all you have to do is contact the health department. Let them know you had an unassisted/unexpected home birth. Then they send you the forms, or may tell you to come in and pick them up. Other than that, she said to do your best at getting the baby's weight. She recommended just weighing yourself, then weigh yourself holding baby. Then disposing of the placenta, if you decide to throw it away, be sure to wrap it up and put in a dark trash bag, because it could be considered medical waste. We will bury ours, unless I decide to encapsulate it.
For the actual delivery, a waterproof mattress pad, for just in case. Blankets that you don't care if they get ruined, then something to clamp the umbilical cord, and sterile scissors for cutting the cord, and a bulb syringe for clearing baby's mouth/nose.
Amazon has an emergency OB kit for just about $10-12. I also ordered all the postpartum goodies, like perinatal ice packs, pads, some large sized briefs for comfort, peri bottles and Dermoplast.
Good to know. Our last was born unplanned unassisted because the midwife didn't make it in time, but she did come afterwards and deal with the placenta and birth certificate and stuff.
I do have a digital postal scale, so I could get a pretty accurate weight if needed.
I should probably buy the other stuff just in case, esp. since I have a history of quick births.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #19
abh5e8
Registered Users

So interesting about the unplanned unattended births! We are planning our second home birth. My babies come fast, but my midwife only lives three miles away. My good friend with the same midwife gave birth before the midwife came. Maybe I should consider it more.

I still need to round up birth supplies.

For baby, i have car seat, stroller, swing, pack n play, clothes, sling, wrap and ergo. Also pump and bottles, for when I go back to work. I want to help oldest DD make a mobile. For diapers, I have:

36 GMD nb prefolds
1 thirsties duo 1

I need to buy three more duo size one covers and two Nb wool soakers. Also a few more OS flats, to use later on.

I mostly need to work on doing more prenatal yoga and walking on my lunch break.

Last edited by abh5e8; 05-11-2016 at 05:09 PM.
abh5e8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #20
2boysmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi ladies! I haven't popped in here for a while. I've been wondering how everyone was doing. I loaded up on diapers over Earth Day. I think I'm pretty set now. I have 38 newborn diapers and 24 OS. Of course, I have all that Anderson is wearing now too but he shows zero interest in potty training so I think I'll still need his for him. I've been really dizzy and just 'off' feeling. I'm pretty sure I've got gestational diabetes. I hope not but I'm waiting for a call from the doctor today. If it isn't that then I assume I'm anemic. Maybe both. I've got just over 10 weeks left, I can't wait to meet my baby girl! She's measuring right on, which is great since she's got the 2 vessel cord. So much to worry about! I hope everyone had a great mother's day!

In with Jesus for over 20 years!
2boysmama is offline   Reply With Quote