Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
Samommy1221
Registered Users
seller

Pitching my WAHM business- Feedback Please & Help Name it!

I've been trying to find my nitch as WAHM and I think I have found it! :Goodvibes: I started out by making a few shirts for my boys and a friend of mine suggested I go WAHM. The idea that I might be able to create pretty awesome, handcrafted, one of a kind, cool kid stuff, and keep it affordable... is a vision of sugar plums dancing in my head. I began hoarding up sale fabrics from my local craft store, but then it hit me. Like a side arm throw in dodgeball- I am not going to stock up on new fabrics- but I am going to do it all with recycled clothing or notions (sheets, blankets, etc.) I got to researching and here is what I found: Over one million ton of textiles are discarded annually, mostly from domestic sources, of which 25% are recycled. (Cupit 1996) so without further a due... Here are some of the things I have done:

My first shirt, the skully monster truck, was created using a pair of old boxers, a stained l/s shirt, and an outgrown onesie!

Some questions I have:
Hyena Cart Vs. Etsy Pros and Cons?

How much are you willing to pay PPD for a fully custom shirt?

Business Name suggestions, something neat and catchy- I want you to remember it! I would like for it to at least give you some kind of idea what the product is (repurposed tshirts... and would prefer if it wasnt kiddy because I want to leave me door open for other opportunities )

Shirt supply- Would you prefer a "new" shirt or do you like the idea of a completely recycled shirt? (I will probably offer both options- the benefit to new is availability of size/colors)

Prim and proper look Vs. Wonky wares- I am no professional seamstress and my designs are drawn and cut by hand. Do you think that will turn people off from buying the product?

Any other suggestions for me? I would greatly appreciate it- Thanks for your time and whew! sorry for keeping you here so long...

Last edited by Samommy1221; 07-31-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Needing a name!
Samommy1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Samommy1221
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pitching my WAHM business- Feedback Please

wow. i am really nervous about this-

Old 07-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Some questions I have:
Hyena Cart Vs. Etsy Pros and Cons?
Still figuring this one out myself!

How much are you willing to pay PPD for a fully custom shirt?
$18ppd

Business Name suggestions, something neat and catchy- I want you to remember it!
Not good with this either- my DH named my store

Shirt supply- Would you prefer a "new" shirt or do you like the idea of a completely recycled shirt? (I will probably offer both options- the benefit to new is availability of size/colors)

I would do both, just to appease both sides. I like fully recycled, but I would pay less for it. maybe $12-14ppd

Prim and proper look Vs. Wonky wares- I am no professional seamstress and my designs are drawn and cut by hand. Do you think that will turn people off from buying the product?

I think hand drawn and cut is individual! As long as they don't fall apart in the wash or anything, I would see this as a plus!!

P.S. Your shirts are ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
Crow Mountain Crafts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hyena Cart Vs. Etsy Pros and Cons? Hyena Cart - I have tried both and Hyena Cart is not only better priced, but they have a larger customer base for handmade goods

How much are you willing to pay PPD for a fully custom shirt? Tops $20ish for L/S

Business Name suggestions, something neat and catchy- I want you to remember it!
???

Shirt supply- Would you prefer a "new" shirt or do you like the idea of a completely recycled shirt? (I will probably offer both options- the benefit to new is availability of size/colors) I like recycled things. I buy my woolies and my soft shoes from WAHMs that use recycled materials

Prim and proper look Vs. Wonky wares- I am no professional seamstress and my designs are drawn and cut by hand. Do you think that will turn people off from buying the product? As long as your sewing is solid and your stitches hold up over time then wonky is fine.
Crow Mountain Crafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
Samommy1221
Registered Users
seller

Thank you!

Last edited by Samommy1221; 07-29-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:04 AM   #6
fwlady
Registered Users

I think the HC vs Etsy debate will continue on, but I will say that when I had my store designed by another WAHM, she did do trades with me. So, that is sometimes an option. The great thing about HC is that the fees are so much lesser, which is so awesome when I feel like I keep putting more money into my biz, but fortunately, not too much into my store. If you can't pay that month immediately, you don't lose anything. And the store stays up for quite a while. Although, I am considering to do Etsy too, since my items take a while to do, it won't be a lot of items, so therefore, lesser fees. But, more exposure. Etsy may be good for that, if it doesn't get lost in the searches. It was said that Etsy is good for search only when you list at least 1 thing a day. Ya know, Ebay isn't ever in any of those discussions anymore. Hmmm.

I think your shirts are adorable. I think that upcycled, repurposed, recycled is gaining popularity and you should get yourself established before it becomes commonplace. Kymberli
Why buy any cloth clone when your baby could have a Knotty Bottom?http://hyenacart.com/knottybottomdiapers Knitted and Tunisian Cotton Diapers; Organic Fitteds, Pre-Folds, Pull ups. KBD Exclusive Diaper Designs: KBD Knitted Prefold and KBD Knitted Fitted Patterns IN HC AND RAVELRY Tiered Longies for girly girls!! Style and Pattern testing underway
fwlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
Samommy1221
Registered Users
seller

Thanks Kymberli! You offered up some great advice!