Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
2 year old always tired

My 2.5 year old DD is always tired. It's not even 9 am this morning and she's requested to take her nap. She does this fairly frequently. Sometimes she'll nap, sometimes she'll just lay in bed for 30 minutes then come back out. She usually ends up taking an afternoon nap as well. I've tried moving her bedtime earlier, but then she just ends up laying in bed for an hour or more before falling asleep. I'm not kidding, I've walked into their room in the middle of the night and she's just awake laying in bed. I think she wakes up early (like 5 or 6 am sometimes) and waits for big sister before leaving the room. If I let her, she would just lounge on the bed all day with her lovie. This has been going on for a few months now. Although there could be underlying medical problems, I think the first thing I need to tackle is getting her to SLEEP when she's in her bed. Do I have an insomniac LO?

Advertisement

SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

You certainly could. Children and infants can have insomnia. If it's that or another medical issue I doubt you'll be able to get her to sleep without addressing that. I've heard of using melatonin to help sleep.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 2 year old always tired

does your child get plenty of sun? maybe is anemic? i would try a chewable vitamin for a bit and see if that helps. id be concerned with that much sleep.
homebirthmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Could it be that she's just bored and taking a nap is something to do?

I am thinking maybe she's waking up early...could you get up early and check to see?
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
motherlylove
Registered Users
seller

If she's lying awake at night that would account for it. However, one possible idea-does she have allergies? I have a three year old who used to not sleep very well at night, often seemed tired, once we talked with an ENT and got some advice on how to deal with his allergies, he started sleeping much better most of the time.

If she is wanting to lay down when you don't want her to, I would probably close off her room or some option to keep her out of her bed. Then give her something to do-active (especially outdoors) or mentally challenging and keep her awake and up till you are ready for regular nap time. Turning on some kid friendly music in the background can also help keep her revved up a little more. Any time someone (any age) is having sleep issues, getting on a schedule for going down and getting up are important to build the healthy habit. Not that I would try to force a routine that doesn't fit her natural rhythms but rather built around what makes sense for her. I believe 11-12 total daily hours is the expected amount of sleep at that age.

Good luck, mama!
motherlylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I would not let her lay around all day. I know if I ay in bed all day I have a lot of problems sleeping that night. At two one nap should be plenty. I would take a week of not allowing her to lay down until set nap time after lunch. During the morning keep her busy, go to the park, art and crafts. Do anything but sit on the couch or lay in a bed. If she still is having a hard time sleeping then I would go to the doctor about other medical reason. It will be a weeks of hell, I will warn you know. It always is when you change a child's schedule.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second the allergies thought. My other thought was could it be a gluten intolerance? A lot of times a gluten intolerance can manifest in sluggishness and sometimes progress to feeling sick/joint pain in LOs. I would think it would be definitely worth it to talk to an allergist or to try an elimination diet. Don't know if you do medicines, but at 2 kids can take OTC allergy meds.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm with everyone else saying to get her into a routine. If I sit on my bum all day, I get sleepy and nap. Then I can't sleep at night and drag butt the next day again.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

What is her routine like in a typical day?
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
We just moved so we don't have a great routine yet. They wake up around 7 am. Eat fairly soon. Lunch at noon. Small snack at 1:30, then naptime at 2. She sleep about one and a half hours. Then small dinner and graziNg until bedtime around 8. I've tried putting her in bed earlier but it takes her quite a while to fall asleep, plus she wakes up when big sis comes to bed an hour later anyway. The other day she did a late nap at like 3:30 and slept through til morning. Still was sleepy the next day. I just recently got curtains up in they're room, so they've been sleeping a little later in the morning than they were. In between naps/meals we play upstairs. Plenty of bed-bouncing, bouncy horse, chasing sister around downstairs. We've done walks, bike rides. We go outside weather permitting, and we've had a bunch of errands to do lately to get settled in and set up in our new house. I don't mind her taking little breaks throughout the day to rest, after 5 minutes I tell her to put lovie down and keep playing. The thing has me worried, I mentioned it to a cousin and she said have her cheeked for bilateral retina blastoma.. Her son had it, and it's genetic, so all kids in the family after him should be cheeked for it. She said it caused fatigue. We do do multi vitamins, nearly every day. Her diet is decent, never anything to indicate an possible allergy before. I guess it's time to find a new pediatrician since we just moved anyway. Need to get her checked out and feeling better.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote