Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Super or Wuss?

Am I super mom (for understanding) or a potty training wuss?

So, thank you for all the encouragement. Due to circumstances, we started today (20.5ish months).

First thing was naked from the waist down with the intention of starting panties tomorrow after we had established the 'potty routine'.

After nothing, she indicates she wants to try again, so first thing this morning, she is put on and she poops!! I was so happy I had tears in my eyes.

Kept putting her on there and 2 hours (including breakfast) go by and we have no pee. We sit and read books on the potty. It's a regular party every 20-30minutes.

And then, for the next 2 hours, she proceeds to pee so many times that I about ran out of prefolds cleaning it up. I kept grabbing her and putting her on the potty after she started (the only indication that she was going to pee was that she paused in her otherwise complete motions of gogogogo because this child doesn't stop moving). I lost count after about 10 and that was in the span of an hour. I don't know where this kid was storing all this pee.

The closest I got to her understanding that peeing should be in the potty was when she closed the lid on her small potty and peed on top. Otherwise she just peed wherever she happened to be standing (including her little slide in the back yard).

Okay, so stay the course. Except that by this point, she's screaming and crying when I put her on the potty.

And that's when I decided that it was over. She's 20months and she's crying on the potty.

I guess I'll try again in a month.

Does that sound right or do I sound like a wuss?

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'd try again when she shows more interest. No point in pushing the issue.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Super or Wuss?

Last week I tried having DS2 naked because he "seemed" interested in the potty. Anytime mom or dad or DS1 would say they need to go potty, he would get excited and say he had to go too. He asked to sit on it often. And can tell us when he's poopy. Well, within about 20 minutes, he had peed AND pooped on the floor in our RENTAL home! lol Sooo, I decided to wait also. He's 30 months.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses
Last week I tried having DS2 naked because he "seemed" interested in the potty. Anytime mom or dad or DS1 would say they need to go potty, he would get excited and say he had to go too. He asked to sit on it often. And can tell us when he's poopy. Well, within about 20 minutes, he had peed AND pooped on the floor in our RENTAL home! lol Sooo, I decided to wait also. He's 30 months.
Yeah, she used to follow me into the potty and say 'peeeeeee!!!' every time I went. After this morning, she hasn't followed me in at all and seems even less interested.

Thanks to both of you. I think I made the right decision to wait, but since this is my first, I didn't know if I was just being a wuss about normal behavior.

I had it worked out in my head where she would want to use the potty and it'd be magical. I figured there'd be accidents, but not to the degree I encountered. I will have to count the prefolds I just washed, but I'm guessing I cleaned up atleast 20 accidents in two hours.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Since she is getting upset and she is so young I would just try again in a month or whenever you feel ready to try again. Nothing is wrong with stopping and trying at another time. Having lots of accidents during the process is pretty normal. My dd had soooo many accidents in the process of training and when I was in the process I did not think it was going to work and it was really frustrating.There can be a lot of accidents when you are training. It took dd 3 whole days before she used the potty at all and she had lots of accidents in the mean time. She seemed to have no awareness and gave no signs. After the 3 days when she finally peed on the potty things seemed to click but she still was hesitant about pooping on the potty. That took a few days to work out. I wouldn't get discouraged by accidents in the process but since she was getting upset by the process there is no harm in trying again at another time.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 06-11-2012 at 06:03 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

thanks

I counted after I washed the laundry prefolds I used to clean up and it was 13 accidents in 2 hours. If you use undies, how many should you have? like 60? lol
I bought 9, clearly I am going to need more.

yeah, it was when I was putting her on the potty and she was crying that I was just like 'what am I doing???'

I'll give it a month or so, I guess, but good to know that the accidents might be leading up to a realization of how it's supposed to work. thanks
Old 06-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think you are right to wait. No point in making her upset using the potty.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote