Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
OK, totally new at this . . . Help!!!

Ok, I posted about this (asking if she was ready) in the parenting forum a few days ago, but I need some more reassurance/guidance. My 17 month old DD started sitting on the potty clothed, so after a few times, I took her diaper off, and then she went! Then, I noticed her positioning to poo (she repositions herself in a very distinct way while playing, so I know she is about to poo), brought her to potty, she poo'd there. She has since not poo'd at all in her diaper. She consistently goes every day, but did not go on her two daycare days, but waited until the next day.

This morning, I put her on the potty, and she poo'd!! This was without her even doing the positioning thing. I just put her on the potty first thing after she woke up. This was after sitting, walking around, sitting again.

Fast-forward to before nap time. I put her on potty to see if she will pee. She gets up, walks around, goes back on potty, gets up walks around, and pees on the floor. Does this mean she isn't ready? Or, is this like, oh, she is still figuring out the whole thing, just go with it? Once before (maybe it was last night), she pee'd on the floor in the bathroom during one of this sitting down, walking around to pull stuff off the shelf routines she does. She has pee'd in the potty before, a handful of times, but we've only just started this, keep in mind.

Do I still keep putting her on the potty at random times, and let her go on the floor if she doesn't happen to be on the potty at that time? Do I just tell her that she needs to go on the potty when she has to go? She obviously doesn't seem to get that yet when it comes to peeing . . . just not sure if what I am doing is right.

Maybe there's a book or website to guide me through this? I honestly haven't done much research on this!!

Advertisement

Last edited by GreyMum; 07-06-2012 at 12:29 PM.
GreyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: OK, totally new at this . . . Help!!!

Totally bounced over from ebay thread to see your question as I have a question too.

Sounds to me like she thinks the potty is for pooping on and she hasn't figured out the peeing part yet. I think she is doing great as the pooping is usually the last part to come with my older kids. I would just keep encouraging her to pee in the potty. Maybe it's much easier for her to recognize when she has to poop vs peeing. I think it's like that with my kids, they could pee and not realize, wheras pooping is much more of a concious (sp?) effort.

I personally wouldn't let her pee on the floor as that might reinforce a habit you will have to break later.

My guy thought it was ok to pee and poop in the backyard for some reason and that was a bit of work as he would go if we didn't notice!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for popping over, Lean! I do think she does not get it at all. I don't think we are ready for diaper free time yet. I guess that's what I thought I was doing when I let her walk around the bathroom without one. Sooooo, I think I am just going to continue to put her on the potty when I know she is going to poo, and at other random times, and then we will take it from there when she shows more signs of readiness. Thanks again!
GreyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

She is kinda young too, although some kids do "get" it young. I know with my DS he showed very similar signs at that age, but after a while of trying I realized he just didn't get it enough. So I waited a while later.

I think there are two schools of thought - 1. start early, but it can take you a lot of work and accidents, but they "might" just be trained earlier or 2. start a little later when they are more ready and might be trained quicker - in the meantime dealing with more diapers of course.

I go with how each child is. I really thought ds3 was one of those who was ready early, but I think he just recognized some signs early, but wasn't able to control them so much.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I think my DD understands poop for the potty, but not pee. Or maybe she just doesn't have enough bladder control yet.

I decided to wait for awhile. Hopefully not too long.