Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What should a nipple look like aftere correct latch?

I'm having latch issues. With DD1 I was told that my latch was right so I went through 4 weeks of hell b/c I thought I just had really tender nipples So this time I realize I should not be scabbing and bleeding. When she gets off the breast it looks about like this

.___x
.__xxx
. xxxxx
. xxxxx
. xxxx

And that's about as good as I can get with x's but it's pointy on top and flat out front. I contacted the locall LLL leader and she'll be sending me some info tonight, but after bf with a proper latch does it really look exactly the same? I mean does it look like this?
http://www.breastfeeding.com/helpme/...s_latchon.html

When you look at DD2 while she's eating it appears that she's latched on correctly but there's pain and I have a pointy nipple afterwards. I'm seeing the pedi on Friday, but my ins won't pay for a lactation consultant. I know wic will help, but I'm pretty sure I'd have to apply (i'd qualify but I don't eat any of the food they give so what's the point) and I'd spend the whole day with a newborn and a bruised wha hoo sitting in the WIC office assuming I could even get an appt in the next millinium

And I'm just so discouraged and had total meltdown yesterday and today and went back to the OB who sewed me up b/c I thought he'd missed a spot, turns out I'm made that way but how am I supposed to know since I haven't seen that area in months and it still hurts like hell to pee and it's still swollen some and dear lord a huge baby came out of there and my DD1 is being a brat and i can't feed my baby and I can't play with my toddler and I can't seem to sleep and I just need to cry. Thanks for listening, I needed that.

Advertisement

Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What should a nipple look like aftere correct latch?

awwww!! hugs mama---take a deep breath!! my first words of advice is that your nipple should not be misshapped after nursing. pulled out and a little bent but not flat/pointy or hurting. you may have a bad latch. make sure you pull her upper and lower lip so they look like fish lips and way flanged out around the nipple. then---if that doesn't help, check her frenulum. make sure she doesn't have a tongue tie. if that little tab of skin that connects the tongue to the bottom of the mouth is too close to the front it will mess up her latch. also, feel the top of her palate. you can check for some advice on www.kellymom.com i know she has some great pics and tutorials. good luck and keep going. you just had an awesome homebirth ( i read your story) and you CAN do this. just do a little research. virtual hugs!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Would it be possible for you to meet with an LC in person, it seems like that would be more helpful than her sending you info. Mine look pretty much the same before and after, though I look nothing like that picture.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

She said try for a day and then if I see no improvement call her again. I'd love to meet with someone tomorrow, but wthout paying someone I doubt it's possible. I'm doing a lot of praying and reading right now and I hope when she wakes up (soon or my breasts will explode) we'll have some success. I'm almost scared to try, believe it or not I don't enjoy pain in that way.
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

i you could always call and tell the LC you need help but can't afford it and see what you can work out ..

with my 2nd i had similar issues, my nipple was a weird shape after he latched and i had bloody cracked nipples by day 4 - 1 hour with the LC and we fixed his latch and i healed up within a week! it was SO worth it - i had been working on it myself and just couldn't get it
Old 06-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
mommy020507
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i had that plm its poor latch, i had with all 3 kids. i didnt know what to do with first kid so i just quit but with 2 boys i used shield nipple and it helps me and baby to get latch right way it does help a lot.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
mamatutugirls
Registered Users
seller

sorry to hear that. I had scabs and pain as well. It took about two months to nurse without pain for all three of my babes. My nipples were always slanted a little and I think they still are, they are just much tougher. I strongly suggest applying a nice amount of lanolin after every feeding. It will make the nipple more supple and won't scab. This was extremely useful for me and I wish I had done it more consistently my first two, it really helps.

ETA: some days I would pump and give bottles every other feeding to give my nipples a much needed break.

Last edited by mamatutugirls; 06-10-2009 at 09:12 PM.
mamatutugirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
EmmaLaurel
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatutugirls View Post
sorry to hear that. I had scabs and pain as well. It took about two months to nurse without pain for all three of my babes. My nipples were always slanted a little and I think they still are, they are just much tougher. I strongly suggest applying a nice amount of lanolin after every feeding. It will make the nipple more supple and won't scab. This was extremely useful for me and I wish I had done it more consistently my first two, it really helps.

ETA: some days I would pump and give bottles every other feeding to give my nipples a much needed break.
i agree w/ PP UNLESS there's any chance that your pain may be from thrush. Lanolin will trap moisture in any cracks/scabs and could lead to overgrowth of yeast. Coconut oil is a great substitute and will soak in, not create an unbreathable barrier.

(I say this as a mama in week NINE of dealing with thrush and I would not wish this on anyone!)

, mama, hang in there! do everything you can to see a LC and call LLL if you can.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
rosepeck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had this same problem with the pointy nipple for a while and I believe it was my DD not taking the nipple far enough into her mouth, or having it too low (rubbing on the tongue). She also had a tendency to purse her lips once she was on and I'd have to re-latch her again and again. I ended up using a nipple shield for 2 weeks, and then was able to wean off of it. My advice - really push her face on to make sure the nipple goes back far in her mouth (sometimes it helps to elongate the nipple with my fingers first, although I haven't heard about this from other ppl), the nipple should be a little more towards the top of her mouth, not centered, nurse only on one side per feeding to give the other side a break to heal, get as much sleep as possible, and use lanolin before and after every feeding, and if all else fails use a nipple shield until you heal, and her latch is corrected. I got mine at Target.

After nursing with a good latch, the nipple should look the same as normal, but a little longer/stretched out.

Good luck to you! I know how hard this is! My baby is 3 and a half months, and nursing just finally got EASY a few weeks ago, although it has been mostly painless for 2 months now. Hang in there!
rosepeck is offline   Reply With Quote