Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #1
laura_mae99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
anyone else getting a planned c-section... (( what is labor sets in ))

We are getting another planned c-section for baby number 3.... THis is pregnancy number 4 baby number 3... so we are so excited after loosing our last pregnancy early on... with my 2 other kidos they did my c-section at 34 weeks with son due to pre-e, he was 4 pounds... and my DD was born at 37 weeks... due to hypertionshion. This pregnancy has been wonderful, everything is going great and no sign of pre-e or hypertionshion. So they told me today that they want to do my c-section at 39 week and 4 days... they haven't set the day yet.. but thats just what they told me... I am little nurves cus i never made it that far yet. And i have never taken birthing classes... they told me i should take some just so if i go in to labor early i can control myself better before i get to the hospbital. i wanted to do a v-bac of cours but there is no one here in our area that would do one on a high risk pregnancy on bedrest that had 2 emergancy c-sections.. plus i died twice on the table when they where taking my son out... anyways, so this one i thought mybe i would have half a chance... but if they are going to let me go in to labor... I am kind of feeling like... Why i can't i do it then... i don't konw mybe i am stupid.. I have always wanted an all natural birth... but never got that. Hubby just thinks i am funny... but mybe its just me still wanting that... does anything think i am crazy... anyone else go before there due date and had a planned c-section... or before there c-section date? mybe i am stupid for just even thinking about that... LOL

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
GretchenB
Registered Users
seller

Re: anyone else getting a planned c-section... (( what is labor sets in ))

You're not stupid for wanting it; even after 3 c/s I still dream of a natural birth. I am, however, not going to attempt to have one; I really feel that it's in my best interest and my baby's to do a c/s (and I am having a tubal ligation at the same time, anyway).
My first 2 c/s were unplanned; I had "failure to progress" after laboring for 18 hours with DD, and with DS (attempted VBAC), I labored for 28 hours and never dialated past 2 cm. (arrrgh). I went ahead and scheduled a c/s for DD2. They called me the night before I was scheduled and said, "We are full, come in the following day." Well, lo and behold, I woke up in labor on the original day. I ended up laboring all day, and then going in at night because I knew she was coming whether they were full or not!
All this to say: if you have a planned c/s and you start going into labor, ESPECIALLY with your history, they are going to take you right away. They will bump someone else who had a planned c/s and take you first. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Good luck!
GretchenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
stori
Registered Users
seller

My 4th c is schduled for May 13th my 39 week mark. My kiddos were all csections 35 weeks,38 and 38 weekers, so I am finding it interesting to see if I even make it till may 13th.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
mhaddon
Registered Users
seller

I worried and never made it. I don't think my body will go into labor on its own, it just enjoys practicing :frustrated: I have BH's all the time, but no progress so I think my cervix is broken of something. I wouldn't worry about something you don't have control over, or I would discuss it w/ your dr.
mhaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
i wanted to do a v-bac of cours but there is no one here in our area that would do one on a high risk pregnancy on bedrest that had 2 emergancy c-sections..
I'm sorry, but I don't think I've heard of any hospital allowing that. Too much liability and your insurance would probably have a fit over paying if they had to pay for any arising complications. Typically from what I've looked into around here, even in major cities. You get only one abdominal surgery scar (possibly two if it been years between) and while your pregnancy could have been high risk they have to evaluate if the VBAC would be a high risk for a uterine rupture.

I understand your reasoning. I feel a little robbed of the birthing experience because of my c-section. I also look at all my friends recoveries with envy when they are bouncing around after a week.

I'm scheduled for mine at my 39th week. My doctor won't let it go later than that. I wanted 39 and 3 days but he wouldn't do it. For me if I go into labor on my own it will be an immediate emergency c-section. If it happens before 35 weeks I and/or baby will be life-flighted up to a major hospital with a NICU. I think they said the flight was 15 minutes.

I would really talk with your doctor about all of this. It will ease your mind about why those decisions are made, and what to do if something arises early.

Wife to Eric. SAHM to Gray(6/08), Seth(4/10), and Ellis (9/14).
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
rasbet1999
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've had 2 C-sections (one emergency one planned) and will be having another one this time. What I can tell you is that common practice right now is to wait untill you are in your 39th week. It use to be 38, but by waiting there is less chance of the babies having problems when born. I think alot of this is because "due dates" are still at best estimated guesses. I am schedualed for exactly 39 weeks this time, but was told I could do it anytime from the 21st to the 28th (my actual due date). Part of the oddity for me is being able to schedual it for convinece which is why we choose a Friday, and 39 weeks exactly. If I tended to have small babies, or underweight babies I'd probably feel better waiting till the due date, or a day before, but my "tiny" 38 weeker was still over 8lbs .

I don't belive the danger is so much going into labor/starting contractions, but as labor progress and the contractions get stronger there is more chance of uterine rupture. I have never heard of anywhere that will let you VBAC after having had 2 C-sections.

I don't think it's stupid for you to want a natural birth, but I do think you have to accept that it is not an option for you. I know personally if I was starting over with #1 there are things in hindsight I'd have changed so that I'd have a better chance at going vaginal with him. However I've also never felt like I was missing out on anything. I know I have bounced back from my C-sections (especially the planned one) ALOT faster then many of my friends have recovered from their vaginal deliveries. I'm already thinking of ways to talk the Dr's into letting me out a day early. And to be honest if I had to go vagnial at this point it would scare me. For me the key isn't how the baby gets here, just that she does and she's healthy.

Beth
rasbet1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
laura_mae99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yea thats military medical for ya...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducko View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't think I've heard of any hospital allowing that. Too much liability and your insurance would probably have a fit over paying if they had to pay for any arising complications. Typically from what I've looked into around here, even in major cities. You get only one abdominal surgery scar (possibly two if it been years between) and while your pregnancy could have been high risk they have to evaluate if the VBAC would be a high risk for a uterine rupture.

I understand your reasoning. I feel a little robbed of the birthing experience because of my c-section. I also look at all my friends recoveries with envy when they are bouncing around after a week.

I'm scheduled for mine at my 39th week. My doctor won't let it go later than that. I wanted 39 and 3 days but he wouldn't do it. For me if I go into labor on my own it will be an immediate emergency c-section. If it happens before 35 weeks I and/or baby will be life-flighted up to a major hospital with a NICU. I think they said the flight was 15 minutes.

I would really talk with your doctor about all of this. It will ease your mind about why those decisions are made, and what to do if something arises early.