Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
adavieau
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: pediatric urologist's recommendations on potty training

Interesting read, thanks for sharing!

Advertisement

adavieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #12
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I see what he is saying and will keep an eye out for signs of constipation or holding but I think he is making some pretty sweeping generalizations. I did part time EC with my son and he did not hold urine for long periods of time. From birth all my babies preferred to pee once the diaper came off. I know people who did EC with their babies and their babies go to the potty really often. I caught my son after naps and if he happened to be dry. My kids trained on the early side and they never had a UTI and they don't have accidents at night any more. I doubt there is a correlation between potty accidents at night and age of potty training or constipation and age of potty training. My kids don't have lots of accidents or hold just because they were trained early. Also UTIs are very common in babies in diapers unlike what he claims. He is specifically working with kids in a certain age in his practice and seeing signs of holding and constipation and then extrapolating. A toddler in a diaper could hold it in too. I think diet is a much more important factor then age of potty training.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 06-11-2012 at 12:44 AM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

I don't see any evidence of his claims other than "in my experience" which is shoddy, at best. For every doctor that claims their experience says it is one way, there will be another who say it is different. I'd like to see a good study or two... I'm just saying that from my own experience we, medical professionals, tend to find our personal reality to be THE TRUTH when that is not always the case and often our interpretation of our reality is even off. This is not an objective point of view. It is very subjective and not, honestly, very helpful, IMHO.

I found this more interesting and helpful: http://mamalady.wordpress.com/2012/04/24/stop-poo-pooing-ec-and-early-potty-dr-hodges/
Old 06-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm a little concerned that he mentions that the only recurrent UTI's he sees are from early potty training:

Quote:
Do you know how often I see children who are still in diapers and have recurrent UTIs? Never. That's right, never. Do you know how often I treat newly potty-trained children for recurrent UTIs? Every day. These kids fill a quarter of my clinic.
He doesn't deal with reflux patients at all? Those kids have UTI's pretty much from birth and are still in diapers. My own DD has mild reflux. That statement makes me a little weary of following his advice. We personally never pushed potty training (my second got a gentle nudge when she was ready), so neither of them have ever held it.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Interesting.
Since it's not being published in a medical journal I take it just as it's presented - one pediatric urologists opinion based on what he sees at work. If nothing else, he has dealt with a whole lot more kids than I have!
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
crunch!910
Registered Users

I've read it and I have little respect for it, because what he says just does not make sense. Personally, I'm ECing to AVOID the common problems associating with potty training, especially the public bathroom fears and holding it for long periods of time. Unlike many children who not only will have to be retrained to even know how to control their eliminations, my child will know how, and because he has been properly conditioned and socialized to pottying outside of a diaper from the time he was born, it'll be far much less likely to experience a potty strike due to fear of public restrooms like I experienced with my 2.5 year old.