Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Awesome, I have made potty training a power struggle

My 3.5 yr old just spent half an hour sitting on her potty crying, before finally peeing.

She has been in underwear all day. She's had about 3 glasses of water or milk, and hasn't gone potty since I put the underwear on her at 9am. I have asked her multiple times to go potty before we went to run DD1 where she needed to be, twice we left the house, she didn't go. She even fell asleep in the car for about a half hour while I ran a couple of errands, she didn't have an accident in the car.

We got home she immediately started crying the moment she woke up. She kept telling me "stinky butt." I knew she had to go. I had her pull down the underwear which she kicked off, then she ran to get a diaper and handed it to me. I told her I was not putting her diaper on just for her to potty in it and she got hysterical. Screaming and holding herself and doing the potty dance, it was VERY obvious that she had to go, and wanted the diaper to go in.

I basically forced her to sit on the potty. At one point I was even trying to hold her down. I KNEW she had to go, she knew she had to go she was just DETERMINED to go in the diaper and not the potty. It was also very obvious that she did not want to potty on the floor either.

She did eventually go, after much crying and fit throwing and begging. Actually, she went twice. The first time was just enough to provide her immediate relief but she was still really upset and crying, so I made her sit again. Finally she couldn't hold it and went, pretty much all over the potty seat and floor in front of it and so on because she she had to go so bad and was wiggling all over. We cleaned up the mess and she was SO relieved and proud of herself.

I don't know what else to do. She doesn't seem to actually be afraid of the potty or potty seat itself. When she doesn't have to go, she likes to go over to it and sit on it then get up and say "see, no pee pees." She just really really wants to pee in a diaper. I have gotten her pull ups, but really she just thinks its a diaper. I have gotten her cloth training pants, she thinks they are diapers too. She knows underwear is underwear, but if she has underwear on with shorts or pants, she will pee in them anyway. The ONLY difference today is that she's in a dress. But regardless of what she's wearing, when I try to take her potty, even if I can tell she has to go she does NOT want to potty ON the potty. She really just prefers to potty in a diaper.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions so that we don't have to have this power struggle? It's beyond time that this kid wear underwear. I refuse to have THREE kids in diapers come October.

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Awesome, I have made potty training a power struggle

Actually 3 glasses isn't all she's had to drink, we were out with the sprinkler earlier today and she was drinking from the sprinkler but of course I have no idea how much she actually drank.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:
Have her "give" the diapers to a baby you know. (you can talk to the mom before hand and pick them up later)
m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:
Sorry- didn't see the part about having another LO. But if she has her own diapers you could do this. Talk it up before hand about how the other baby NEEDS diapers but being a big girl she doesn't. That gets her diapers out of the way so she doesn't have access to them.
m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
nebraskamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Awesome, I have made potty training a power struggle

This happened with my dd, she was holding it all day (8-4) and then would finally go, if I coxed her. It lasted a couple days and she started going regularly. We used a sticker chart (fill up the chart with stickers and you get to pick a small toy) and m&ms for instant gratification. These were big motivators and worked like a charm for us. Good luck. Every kids different so what worked for us may or may not work for you.