Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #11
Preggo
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: hi everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410 View Post
Hi I'm not "up there", but we have several Canadian mamas in this group

Agree with Tracey on most aspects...but I like___for laundry comparison..just easier to read to me

Just tell your DH...we can spend $200-$500 on cloth diapers and use them till this kid is trained, then sell them and recoup some funds (or save for any future children too if you plan to have more)...ORRRRR you can spend $2000+ on trash...literally..and i guarentee no one will buy those back when you're done with them.

Aside from the diapers, here's what you need:

wipes (if you plan on using cloth wipes, it's easy to toss the wipe in the pail with the diaper)
Trash can with lid (and a smaller trash can if you will use disposable wipes)
Pail liner (I do not like drawstring, prefer elastic band at top)
Wetbags x2 or 3...you want these to be approx 9x11ish so they can hold atleast 2 if not 3 or 4 diapers.

Thanks so much! Being added to the list!
My DH is a numbers man, and I made him sit down last night and crunch the numbers himself, with a list of prices I found at walmart, which is where we bought most of our disposables with our first. He was absolutely SHOCKED and after that I am happy to say I think I've got him on board!!!
Even if we use the liners just for running to grandmas or whatever, it will be totally worth it math-wise by literally 2000$ (we were going to buy the "eco friendly huggies brand" for about 15$ for a pack of 30!!! We also buy the high-end sensitive skin wipes for about 6$ for 80. eeep. We are going to be switching to cloth wipes. I will be buying a special colour just for bums so they don't get confused in the laundry.
We have small babies, our first was four pounds, so that's why we plan on using disposables for the first bit, but in a month or two we hope to get up to the size the gro-babies (or whatever kind we decide on) will fit, and never look back! I like the idea of the adjustable sizes, saves a TON of money. Which isn't the only goal, but by far the one that speaks the loudest to DH.

Advertisement

Preggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
Preggo
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbet1999 View Post
Hi Courtney,

I'm having a c-section and so DH, MIL, or my dad will be in charge of laundry for at least a little while, and I don't expect them to be able to keep up with the diapers. Plus MIL is very "old school" cloth diapers, can't imagine WHY we're doing this and would probably try to soak them in a wet pail with bleach, which I don't want done. Plus there is a good chance this will be our last baby so it's not like I can be assured I'd use them again.
My MIL thinks we're nutso as well. And I tried to sit down and patiently explain why we are considering this, and she sat there arguing with me that they were horrible etc. because she lived it (DH's siblings are all 15+years older than me) blah blah blah. I keep trying to tell her that its not the same as it used to be, that they've come along way, but she sits there and argues with me and refuses to be open minded about it. I can just see her demanding disposables when we bring him over.
My mom is a little skeptical, but I think once she sees them in action she'll learn to love them. At least she's not rude about it.

Thanks everyone for your welcome messages and advice! I hope I'm doing this reply quote thing right, its hard to figure out compared to the forum I'm used to.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

just tell the grandparents that this is your choice, and it's healthier for your child (well, atleast for boys there have been some studies about testicular health and sterility b/c disposables create a higher then healthy temp around the sac destroying their baby making abilities later in life)...and if they want to babysit, they can either use what you provide, or provide their own at their cost.

I have some gdiapers, but i dont' think they will work well, just in theory, i dont' like that they need a plastic liner, too much work for me..a flip seems much better, plus it's one size, so no buying each size. I plan on using it like a cover, just fold a prefold in 3rds and lay it in there will likely work just fine.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
rasbet1999
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preggo View Post
My MIL thinks we're nutso as well. And I tried to sit down and patiently explain why we are considering this, and she sat there arguing with me that they were horrible etc. because she lived it (DH's siblings are all 15+years older than me) blah blah blah. I keep trying to tell her that its not the same as it used to be, that they've come along way, but she sits there and argues with me and refuses to be open minded about it. I can just see her demanding disposables when we bring him over. .
Hehe I don't talk to my MIL....seriously. We see her once a year on vacation otherwise she calls DH once a week or so and I get all info through him. She is fairly passive aggressive though and doesn't like confrontation so she probably won't bring it up with me, just to everone else. Good think I really don't care, if I did her coming when the baby comes wouldn't work . We have gotten to a point where I think she's realized I'm not totally crazy and I do have reasons behind the things I do and overall I am good for her son. She's even asked my parenting advice to pass on to BIL about a few things in the past. If she was watching the LO everyday I'd want her to use cloth, but for the few weeks she's here helping I'm not going to push the issue, and we will probably use disposables for the few times we have babysitters.

The funny thing is while she doesn't get it, my mom never understood why we would spend the money on disposables and it drove her nuts that we did. She's passed away, but last time my dad was here I got him to babysit so I could take DH to a CD class and my dad was like what's so hard about CD? You put the diaper on and then the pant over. He thinks were nuts too, not for using CD, but the time money and effort we put into reasearching them I figure he can show me how to use flats since he knows...even if his experiance is from 33 years ago.

Beth
rasbet1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #15
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I cd-ed both my girls from birth Never had issues with FBs and newborn clothes, just that my DDs grew fast (7 lb 6oz and 7 lb 8 oz at birth) I used FBs with my DD1 and then switched to pf's and wool which is what I did with DD2 as well... This baby will be in the Flip diapers I recently bought, which I also use over night for my DDs and they are awesome. Very trim too. My DH was on board with cd-ing from the start since he was cd'ed as a kid (as well as his 4 other brothers and sister). Plus we saved a TON!

As far as laundry detergent is concerned, I've found in my years it also depends on your washer and the water quality. We moved across town to a lower cholorinated water supply and a new washer...I had to completely change up what I was doing for 3 years at that point! But now I don't have any issues. Changed my detergent to Tide and stopped using vinegar in the rinse (does not mix well with this water I find) and no issues *knock on wood*

I use disposable wipes and cloth wipes, mix it up.
I don't have a wet pail...I have a mesh laundry basket in my laundry room that I toss the dirty diapers in. That's it. Nice and simple.

My mother is 110% against cd-ing, b******, any type of AP. She is so against cd-ing, she will buy us disposables as a "gift" when each of the girls were born She does the same if I tell her I'm b******, she'll buy a huge can of formula for me. Thankfully I only see her for holidays and birthdays.
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #16
Preggo
Registered Users

My Mood:

ok so today I bought:
-a wet bag that zips for the diaper bag
-a big wet bag with elastic for the pail that we haven't gotten yet lol
-a roll of flushable liners for when we have to use creams and such
-some bum cleaner spray from bumgenius

I made DH crunch the numbers last night and guess what he AGREED. We went for lunch with his coworkers today and he was telling them all about it heehee I am shocked! So we are well on our way to cloth diapering...now I have to decide if I will buy some NB sizes or just wait until I see how the grobaby's will fit. Still haven't seen the grobaby's (appointment for viewing on monday!)

I looked at some NB prefolds and plastic covers...tempted. I think I will check the for sale forum though or maybe ebay...they seemed expensive in this store.

Thanks so much for everyones advice!!! You guys made shopping today so much easier!

Last edited by Preggo; 02-19-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #17
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That sounds like a great start! Totally what i would have bought (if i didnt' already have them from a previous child..yay for reusing!)..oh, also wanted to add i dont' think a diaper sprayer is neccessary. If you have a laundry sink that you might use, then that sounds nice, you could use it for all kinds of things. But to hook up to a toilet isnt' that useful...infact, we have one, somewhere..and it's never been installed lol!

For newborn prefolds and covers, i'm thinking i will like GMD brand (green mountain design) with thirsties covers...i havnt' cd'd a newborn before so i'm not sure untill this LO arrives.

Last edited by tygr2410; 02-19-2010 at 10:37 PM.
tygr2410 is offline   Reply With Quote