Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #61
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Re: July Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
It's our state standards that say our house is full, and unfortunately it has nothing to do with actual house size (our house is huge). According to the state of Missouri any house with 5 or more children is 'full' and not eligible to foster. We have 7, so 3 kids would have to move out before we could do foster care again.

Babies growing is so bittersweet!! He will seem especially huge and grown up when you have the newbie. Remind me again how many weeks you are?

IDK what kind of wash/lotions you all use, but you may want to check your local walmart. Ours had tons of full size Johnson's and Aveeno lotions and washes on clearance for $1 for a bottle. We now have wash and lotion on hand for like, um, ages.
Ah, I thought it had to do with number of bedrooms. Maybe you could move some kids to the barn...

I'm 30 weeks. Nowhere close to having a name for this baby yet, but other than that I don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing to get ready. I think I have everything from DS1... I think I need to order new nipples for my bottles but I'm not sure on that. Does anybody know if nipples need replaced for a newborn if they only got used infrequently? We did like 1 bottle a day for maybe 6 mos or so, give or take a bottle here and there, and I had 3, so it wasn't the same nipple used every time. My initial feeling was they'll be fine for the next lil guy, but someone told me that the hole opens up wider after not much use and will let too much out for a newborn. So...that and maybe putting some prepared meals in my freezer is all I have to do I think. I'd like to do some sewing, but I don't have any urgent needs there. Just fun stuff

Now I feel like I should go to Wal-Mart!

Advertisement

Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:40 PM   #62
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
Hey y'all!

This is DD's Broadway dance camp week so we are hanging out in town having adventures everyday.

She looks like a professional jazz dancer thanks to some clearance dance shorts.

I accidentally ran over one of our kittens this morning. We are down to 5. And three grown cats. Dear mercy.

We have lost DH's 9 year old lab and we are all very sad. He ran off and didn't come back. We have looked for him for 5 weeks now. A new puppy showed up and I love her. She is a cool little dog. And I'm not a dog person at ALL.

The hole (soft spot) in our living room floor is bigger. Like, it's time to do something bigger.

I am not ready to pick out new flooring. I didn't want to pay for flooring for two more years. HA! Oh well.

I don't know what else has happened lately. We have been wide open for the summer. And loved every minute of it.

ETA: I have mastitis again. It's getting better but I'm really over this.
Sorry about the dog, cat, floor, and mastitis.

We have 1 cat and he is awesome. He lets you pet him if you want but isn't annoying and he catches everything.

We have 1 dog and he isn't that awesome lol. He needs to be better trained but I'm not that sure how to do it and he's huge. He's not really bad, just not awesome.

I feel like we have been busier than normal this summer and it's driving me crazy. I like relaxed, fun summer days! And summer is almost gone. We usually start school at the end of July/very first of August and I don't feel prepared or like it should even be time to get prepared. But it certainly is and I need to get my tail in gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
Ah, I thought it had to do with number of bedrooms. Maybe you could move some kids to the barn...

I'm 30 weeks. Nowhere close to having a name for this baby yet, but other than that I don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing to get ready. I think I have everything from DS1... I think I need to order new nipples for my bottles but I'm not sure on that. Does anybody know if nipples need replaced for a newborn if they only got used infrequently? We did like 1 bottle a day for maybe 6 mos or so, give or take a bottle here and there, and I had 3, so it wasn't the same nipple used every time. My initial feeling was they'll be fine for the next lil guy, but someone told me that the hole opens up wider after not much use and will let too much out for a newborn. So...that and maybe putting some prepared meals in my freezer is all I have to do I think. I'd like to do some sewing, but I don't have any urgent needs there. Just fun stuff

Now I feel like I should go to Wal-Mart!
Nope, just a number-of-kids/state regulation issue. I had a caseworker say that I should sign guardianship on my 3 oldest over to my Mom so that we could continue to foster.

Do you like the name Samson? I know you said your DH needs them to be a saint and Samson obviously didn't always get things right, but he did do some good, and it's sort of on the outside edge of 'normal' names. I've decided that I want to have twin boys and name them Matthew Scott and Solomon James. DH is mostly on board with that if we do have more, he's always wanted twins and likes the names except James which I'd be pretty content to switch out to another single syllable name.

IDK if you/anyone uses Ibotta (referral code fpwfbev if anyone wants to sign up) but if you're going to Walmart anyway they have a rebate for $3.75 off 2 boxes of Cheerios, and coupons.com has coupons for boxes of cheerios, so in the end you end up getting 2 family size boxes for $2ish. And as of last night the had a rebate to get a bag Ore-Ida french fries for free.

Anyone else watching for deals on Prime Day?

How did you daughter's dance school thing turn out Alga?
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #63
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bottle nipples--some wear out faster than others, and of course depending how much use they got. Technically pacifiers are supposed to be throw out after what? 3 months? so i have wondered if i should toss bottle nipples after X time too, but never have. My newborn now though has such a strong suck even a brand new nipple was way too fast for him, and it was comparable to an 8 year old one (same brand). You can tell by looking at them if the hole has widened--the fast flow x shaped hole splits easier than a round pin hole slow flow shape IME.

Camp sounds like a big undertaking, I'll be praying for you all.

Agla is the Boston traveling over?

Chirpy what kind of flooring is the hole in? How awful about the kitten! And the dog My poor 11 yo DS lost a duck same day he got them, and his favorite chicken in the same day. The hen was 7-8 years old anyway, but a raccoon got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post

We went shopping Saturday and out to lunch. Every time we go out to eat, we have at least 1 old person come up and comment on our children's behavior and family size. This old guy was eating alone, watching us pretty intently, and he finally came over to talk. He ended up sitting down to visit with us while we finished and before we left gave us 2-8 pound boxes of oats, a picture frame, a flashlight, a gun value book, and 2 cases of macaroni and cheese. It was definitely one of the weirder experiences I have had but I love that we got to make his day and it was a blessing for us as well.
This is hilarious, the stuff he gave you! We get those comments too (but I have to wonder what exactly they are comparing the behavior to--pretty sure it's just that they expect a largish bunch of kids to act like a zoo) but the look in the elderly folks' eyes when they come up to us...it's priceless.

That's one of the lowest limits I've seen, that's too bad. We are "full" now but the limit is 6 under age 13.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:27 PM   #64
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Uh oh, looks like I'm being forced back onto the CD buying wagon--here's thhe error message I got when trying to shop:

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /cloth-diapers on this server."
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #65
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

They changed it from 6 to five within the last couple years, it's the lowest that I know of. It's crazy to me how much it varies, I don't know all of them but I know FL is 10. Also crazy--if we had 4 kids in the home, so were not 'full' they would give us a large sibling set. They can do waivers to keep siblings together as long as you have 1 opening, so you could end up several kiddos. But if you don't have that opening there are no waivers. So potentially a family with 4 kids could get placed with a sibling set of 6, bringing their total to 10...but we can be placed with 0. Doesn't make sense to me. There is also a limit of 2 under 2 years old (but that can be waived), and 4 under 5 (also sometimes waived, but not nearly as often since they lowered the total limit). What are NY regulations?

Amazon isn't working for me
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #66
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

I'm saying "hole" but it's actually in the subfloor-so it's not visible inside the house. But you can definitely feel it. The soft spot has grown into a hole with a growing soft spot all around it. We have a pier foundation (off the ground) with an OSB subfloor. The subfloor should've been plywood according to DH. OSB is notoriously soft. So I'm eagerly looking forward to replacing this crap one spot at a time.

Our floor covering is vinyl sheet. So there is no way to fix the subfloor without replacing the floor covering.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:37 AM   #67
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi everyone!

Bout to get in the shower and head off to a too busy day.

Floor in our house has dips and valleys. One of the previous owners had jack supports put in and floors redone except for one bedroom that is carpeted. I hate the carpet but I have zero plans to do anything about it until way in the future. Hopefully.

My girl survived dance camp and even smiled the last two days. The last performance was great because they danced alongside the professionals. I think it taught my daughter something about herself. I even think she would do it again but it's too much $ and we won't commit to the expense of taking her. She learned about dealing with catty girlfriends too. Lol

First time ever I bought nothing on Amazon prime day.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:10 AM   #68
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ughh!!!!!!!! My youngest two have cavities. I'm so aggravated.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:26 AM   #69
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
Hi everyone!

Bout to get in the shower and head off to a too busy day.

Floor in our house has dips and valleys. One of the previous owners had jack supports put in and floors redone except for one bedroom that is carpeted. I hate the carpet but I have zero plans to do anything about it until way in the future. Hopefully.

My girl survived dance camp and even smiled the last two days. The last performance was great because they danced alongside the professionals. I think it taught my daughter something about herself. I even think she would do it again but it's too much $ and we won't commit to the expense of taking her. She learned about dealing with catty girlfriends too. Lol

First time ever I bought nothing on Amazon prime day.

I didn't even look at Amazon Prime! Whoop whoop!
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:53 AM   #70
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
I didn't even look at Amazon Prime! Whoop whoop!

I tried to tell my husband this was the first year I didn't even bother with prime day and he looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. He had no clue what prime day was or why it was a big deal I didn't participate.