Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #1
BusyPAMommy
Registered Users
seller

What do you do with the stuff?

Ugh, I have piles/boxes/bins of stuff in the basement, some that I’ve been meaning to go through for over a year now. When I “clean up” the counter clutter from the main floor of the house, really it’s just getting moved to the basement where it sits. You know these stuff piles—little odds and ends that we got as a prize somewhere or as a favor at a party, random gifts we don’t need or want, the myriad plastic cups and water bottles that accumulate and aren’t recyclable, etc, etc. it’s the stuff that’s not suitable for resale or even donation, but surely must be useful to someone, somewhere, and I have gulit about just tossing it in the trash.

What do y’all do with the junk piles? Do you toss them with a clear conscience? I just need to clear stuff out and am starting to fantasize about dumping bins of accumulated odds and ends into those big black contractor bags, putting them out with the trash, and never looking back. I think I’m looking for absolution lol.

Advertisement

Last edited by BusyPAMommy; 03-11-2018 at 07:17 PM.
BusyPAMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #2
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: What do you do with the stuff?

By all means.... throw that junk in the trash!!!!
MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #3
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

I do. I toss that stuff. I know it's only going to make me mad if it goes in the toy box or something, so I toss it. And I don't feel bad. We do really well at recycling lots of stuff and we don't have a ton of trash, so I don't feel bad throwing some stuff out.

McDonald's (or other similar) toys almost always go in the trash after the first day, although I'm thinking of switching to what my friend does: she let's the kids open the toy right away and play with it while they eat. Then it goes in the trash with all the other stuff from the happy meal when they're finished eating.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I donate as much as I can. If I dont think its donate-able in the trash it goes. We have this site called Nextdoor that is kind of a bulletin type site for surrounding neighborhoods and sometimes I post stuff for free on there for a day or 2 before I throw it away just to see if someone may be able to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
I do. I toss that stuff. I know it's only going to make me mad if it goes in the toy box or something, so I toss it. And I don't feel bad. We do really well at recycling lots of stuff and we don't have a ton of trash, so I don't feel bad throwing some stuff out.

McDonald's (or other similar) toys almost always go in the trash after the first day, although I'm thinking of switching to what my friend does: she let's the kids open the toy right away and play with it while they eat. Then it goes in the trash with all the other stuff from the happy meal when they're finished eating.
DS2s favorite toys are from take out kids meals lol. Most go in the trash that night but there are a couple that he is obsessed with.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

We donate anything worth donating and trash what isn't.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #6
BusyPAMommy
Registered Users
seller

Thanks, ladies! You’ve given me some needed strength to chuck stuff.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:57 PM   #7
abh5e8
Registered Users

I'm a little confused... What would be still good for someone to use but not good enough to donate? I send everything to Goodwill. You never know what someone else might have a use for. If it's garbage, it's garbage. Hoarding it in my basement is only prolonging the inevitable. It has served it's useful life and out it goes.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:40 AM   #8
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Throw it all out. Don't even look at it. If it's been in the basement undisturbed all this time then it isn't needed.

We give away stuff all the time but we have a donation box nearby so we don't have to wait until stuff accumulates.

Right now we have stuff in the trunk and it's making me crazy but the box wasn't cleared of snow yet.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:17 AM   #9
BusyPAMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
I'm a little confused... What would be still good for someone to use but not good enough to donate? I send everything to Goodwill. You never know what someone else might have a use for. If it's garbage, it's garbage. Hoarding it in my basement is only prolonging the inevitable. It has served it's useful life and out it goes.
My hang-up is the stuff that really doesn't seem good enough even to donate but still technically has some use--the super cheap junk that comes in party favor bags, half used pencils. I just need to be ruthless because, as you say, hoarding it in the basement does no one any good.

The next few weekends I finally have some time to devote to organization/decluttering and I've got a big box of heavy trash bags ready to serve their purpose!
Old 06-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #10
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

I HATE the crap in gift bags. When we moved the last time I finally threw a bunch of it out because it was driving me crazy, now I tend to throw it out the night of. Some of the indoor places offer free gift bags w party purchase but they always have the same stuff in them so we were ending up with piles of the same crap items even. I've done parties at those places and said no to the free gift bags, which causes jaw droppage. I refuse. We do a book swap instead.

Things like the crappy cups can be beach toys for different shaped castles until they break. Pencils, I keep them even though they are cheap. I have a tupperware of unsharpened pencils (we don't sharpen new ones until ones in use get used up). I got quality erasers off of amazon that actually don't fall apart after one erase and we use pencils until they are pretty short. I only keep standalone erasers that are thick enough to withstand a serious erasing. The rest, which the are most often given, are trash or possibly items to glue onto paper.

Piles in the basement are not good, if its crap enough to go into the basement like that then it needs to go.

The thing that I am still struggling with is crafts. Especially crafts from a kit/book which have some playing value. Those hang around. Sometimes they play with them a little here and there. If I get rid of them too early I might hear about it. But they are also works of art and I feel bad. Sometimes when I get the courage I will do in stages. Hide them in my office (or out of sight in the play area) and if it doesn't come up in a week or so I will trash them. But make sure they can't seem the in the trash, sigh. I feel bad but.....
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 06-01-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote