Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
ADHD vs Anxiety?

So DS had ADHD testing done last spring, he'd been in the same class for 2 years and his Dr thought that would give us a really accurate test ofcourse. Well it didn't show he has ADHD, but he gave us medication to help with his impulses.
Things have been really rough lately for DS, we tried a new med and had horrible side effects.
Yesterday we had an appointment with a different developmental ped because his regular is on maternity leave. After talking for an hour and him having looked over all of DSs history, he feels that he actually is having anxiety. He said that ADHD can often be misDX when it's actually anxiety.

Just wondering if anyone had experience with this or treated their child for anxiety.

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #2
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: ADHD vs Anxiety?

When my daughter was in 2nd grade, she displayed ADHD behaviors but was actually diagnosed with anxiety disorder. She wasn't impulsive or hyper, though, her strong trait was what appeared to be inattentiveness.

She was prescribed 5 mg Zoloft but we didn't give it, choosing counseling instead. She was released from counseling but a couple of years later, was back (and then released again.) She has coped with it the best she knew how but high school got her. She came to me crying, saying she wished she could be normal. That's when we asked for meds. She takes 10 mg Lexapro and the difference has been amazing. She's also in counseling which she hates but it's part of the deal. I honestly wish we had gone the medication route sooner.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD has both. We are working on a diagnosis right now to start meds. She is afraid to try new things, and uses hyperactivity as a release for the stress.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
My 15 and 6 year old DDs have both add and anxiety. They take prozac and OMG it is a wonder drug for them. It helps with their compulsive thoughts (they both have ocd as well)

We dont medicate the add though anymore. Never found a drug for add that didnt need a sleeping pill at night and food supplements (just not a good fit for my DDs)
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the replies, I had never considered anxiety for DS, but he is hearing impaired and when he got overwhelmed in busy situations I assumed it was from his hearing, but anxiety makes sense. We are starting medication tomorrow, hopefully it will help him
Old 05-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So, who if you don't mind me asking...how did you each find out about the anxiety? I have a 7 year old that has ADHD (he has the hyperactive side of it for sure), but we've recently been wondering if he has additional sensory of anxiety issues? He gets easily overwhelmed by loud noises (covering his ears and such) and is VERY easily scared (like of commercials, books on CD, stories he hears, going places that are new) and I mean so scared he shakes and breaks down in tears...we have an apt. for his med check up for the ADHD next month and I'm thinking about talking to his dr. about it, but I don't know how to go about it - do I bring it up with her and what do I ask for?

Sorry if I highjacked the thread ...hope it's ok...
Old 05-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It's totally fine! Our developmental pediatrician was who brought it up for us. I'd definitely ask if your concerned