Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

What about books?

I have a feeling you ladies are going to get a bunch of questions from me. As I am trying to make room in my house. I could probably get rid of all of my books and just use the library except I think I'm on their black list for never returning my books on time (or VIP list because I swear I have probably paid the electric bill for the a few times with the amount of fines I pay.) Anyway I have a lot of books. I don't think I'll re-read Harry Potter again any time soon, but my son is 5 so we'll be reading them together sometime in the future. I suppose I could toss my LOTR books, but they're like old friends. I also have a huge assortment of pregnancy and breastfeeding books I could probably donate. Or old editions of my nursing textbooks that no one wants. I keep thinking I may need to look something up... be really my new classes won't except a reference that is >5 years old and Google does work wonders..... I mean I guess they could go? How many books do you allow yourself to keep? What about kids books? We read those suckers all the time so it would be silly to get rid of those.

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
I bumped a thread for you. We just got done discussing this a week ago! By all means, ask any other questions you though. I just thought it would be a good starting point.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Amandamama
Registered Users

Re: What about books?

I'm probably no great help. We homeschool in a rural area where the libraries do NOT do inter library loan outside the county, so we own a lot of books. Still, I was just able to purge about 5 boxes by sorting thru and getting rid of lousy kids ones, and lots of duplicate type ones (how many kids books about George Washington do we really need?).

Adult fiction books I don't keep after reading at all. My non fiction reference type books (breast feeding, cookbooks, farming, sustainable living, etc i DO keep) because once again, crappy library system.

One thing I'm struggling with is classics: LOTR, Harry Potter (I'm gonna call those classic), all the Newberry Award winners (might have gotten carried away with collecting those, lol). I know the library has them, but we wind up spending a fortune in fines too, and also, it's nice to own a lot of them so if we didn't make it to town that week, there is still plenty to read. I won't keep them after the kids have read them all though.

I also keep the best board books & preschool books since we foster & take young children.
Amandamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Re: What about books?

I read through the thread Elizabeth bumped for me, so that offered a lot of perspective. I ended up putting my books into piles- Things to keep, things to donate, things to return to their rightful owner and books to sell. I realized I've been hanging on to my textbooks when in reality I won't be looking things up in these books so I might possibly make $100 from selling those back. *Which could potentially pay for my hypnobabies* (yay)

I've already weeded through my kid's books so I'm okay with a few shelves full of the books we love. I've decided to keep LOTR and Harry Potter because the fact is I will read those again eventually. The Twilight series is going to the Salvation Army as I've really had enough of the Vampire romance business. I'm going to let my doula friend pick through my pregnancy, breastfeeding and parenting books for her lending library and then I'll donate whats left. So overall I think its been a pretty productive process! I also took photos and listed a bunch of stuff that has been sitting upstairs on Craig's list, so we'll see.... if it doesn't sell within a week I'll donate it all.