Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
incredibleshrinkingmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Photos, photos and more photos!

Ugh! I have piles upon piles of photos going way back to my childhood that are (at least somewhat) organized by year. And then there's the last 12 years of photos of my 6 lovely children. Probably 2/3 to 3/4 of those are digital. But the drawback to those...so many junk pictures. I really want to get these organized and in albums of some sort to pass them on. Any encouragement from experienced "croppers"? I love to scrapbook but man, is it hard to find the time!

We homeschool and this coming week is our Spring Break. I'm thinking I might just have to take a couple of days and tackle this monster.

Suggestions? Tips? Pitfalls to avoid?

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #2
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Photos, photos and more photos!

I do not have any advice because I am in pretty much the same boat. A million pictures and doing nothing with them. Keeping an eye on this thread for ideas.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #3
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did picture books on a shutterfly and I thought that would be easy. It took forever and it was pricey. But we look at those books all the time so maybe it was worth it if you get a coupon.

I'm in the same boat and have not found an answer.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
MulletMaiden
Registered Users

My Mood:

This might sound stupid/complicated because I'm sure there is software to handle this, but I just sort things in Finder (I use Mac, and don't know what the file directory is called in Windows). I'd have a folder titled photos, and in it, a folder for each year, and in those, different folders for each subject: like, kids, vacation, at home, or whatever you need. Or I'd reverse it. Have photos> subjects> year. I know that seems kind of conveluded, and maybe a bit overkill. I'm an artist and a designer, so I have tons of files of images, resources, etc. and it works very well for me. When it's all over organized I don't actually have to remember where I put things because they are all divided and subdivided into categories.

Maybe structuring the albums in a similar way would help you break it into manageable chunks. If it is all sorted digitally, you can have each subject printed for your scrapbooks as you can get to them, or as a previous commenter said, get the albums printed. (As far as archiving goes, backing up digitally will ensure that your images last. Printed things fade and can be damaged or lost. That is true of digital files as well, so having a backup is important.)

My husband handles our personal images, and he uses a program to organize and edit. I forget which. We used to have Aperture, but I think it may be obsolete now because he uses something else.

I hope this helps, rather than just making me look like a crazy person.

Last edited by MulletMaiden; 04-07-2017 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Misread original, have something relevant to add
MulletMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #5
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's actually really helpful because it establishes a system that you can use with new pictures too.

It's just sitting down and doing the organization and shifting through.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

I use project life. I find if they stay in my computer we don't look at them, but if I get a stack printed and in books, we do. Sometimes I do a year at a time because I got behind, but project life is pretty easy and fast, so it's no big deal. Basically, I have to purge a lot because you're forced into page layouts, so whatever doesn't work I toss. They're still on my computer if I really need them. Also so.etimes I stack 3 photos or so in the same slot if they're basically the same thing (3 shots of baby swinging, e.g.)
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:19 AM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

For my wedding, I wanted to create a photo album online, I started it soon after (2007) and didn't finish until I was pregnant (2009) because I new if I didn't it would never get done. I don't recall the company I used but it was too complex. I created by son's babybook online for 2010 via mixbook and it took me a little while because it was also more complex. Every year since I have created an book, to create an album I require myself to go through the pictures and remove the bad ones. I also create an website album for friends and family.

So when I go through pictures they get sorted for website album and pics not quite good enough for that but still want to keep. Others get deleted. Then After I create the website album I go through those pictures again and pick out the ones for the hardcover book, I currently used shutterfly because twice a year they send out a free book coupon (it doesn't end up being completely free because of shipping and extra pages - or I choose a size bigger but it's WAY less). I make the albums pretty basic, by month, so its fairly easy too. Once the album is created, I wait for the coupon to come out to buy it

So I am behind. DD was born 12/2013 and I just got 2014 done recently. 2015 and 2016 aren't as bad and the first year pictures where we went crazy. I also have DD babybook to do (I cover the first 2 years). So right now working on going through 2015 and planning the babybook a little bit. I try to work on it at least one evening a week right now to get caught up.

My biggest suggestion is DON'T GET BEHIND! I actually find it best to go through the pictures still on the camera/phone that night or week which I also try to do now. With my son I used to make the online albums every couple months instead of yearly, I hope to someday get back to that, the at the end of year everything just needs to be chosen for the book and it can be made pretty easily.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 04-13-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:19 AM   #8
LisaSimmons5
Registered Users

It would be cool if you posted pics of your works

Last edited by LisaSimmons5; 08-27-2018 at 07:46 AM.
LisaSimmons5 is offline   Reply With Quote