Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #11
katimcintire
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vitamin D drops

So so glad I came across this. PED told us to give our LO vitamin D drops. I hate supplementing unless its absolutely necessary

Advertisement

katimcintire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:23 PM   #12
hobbitgirl3
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Nope, never did and no rickets among my children. My mother ebf'd 6 of her 7 children. No drops, no rickets. My guess is these days with the paranoia concerning skin cancer babies are often sun restricted. This on top of the fact formula is often higher in many vitamins leaves doctors thinking breast milk is deficient. But, remember, breast milk is much more easily absorbed than formula so they don't need the high concentration of vitamins found in the less effectively digested formula.
I agree, I think that Vitamin D supplements are recommended because people are scared to take their babies outside. With our oldest, we asked the pediatrician how much sun exposure is needed for a baby to not need Vitamin D supplements. He said 15 minutes a day.
I use the occasional drop of supplement during the winter because we're less likely to spend time outside.
hobbitgirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #13
NicoleGer
Registered Users
seller

I use Carlson Labs brand or Nordic Naturals. I EBF, and when I was a baby, I was a little deficient, so just another reason I am using them with my LO. Started after a few weeks old--maybe at 3 weeks.
NicoleGer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:55 PM   #14
terpblondi
Registered Users
seller

We use the vitamin D drops, as well. I deal with seasonal depression, and vitamin D really helps with that, so I'm very aware how hard it is to get enough vitamin D naturally. And I love how easy those drops are to give the babies!
terpblondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:28 AM   #15
Brinae89
Registered Users
seller

I don't. I don't feel the need to supplement, especially with breastfeeding. I try to get enough vitamin d in my diet, and as others have stated get my baby outside.
Brinae89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #16
linem24
Registered Users

I was always supportive of the idea because it's very good for all of us, and it is difficult to overdose on Vit D. We were laid back about it and put it in a bottle when I wasn't available to nurse directly.
linem24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #17
kristinajura
Registered Users
seller

Our pediatrician always says I can if I want, but as long as I'm eating healthy foods and continue taking my prenatals & whatever other supplements, there's no need to give supplements to the baby directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2017, 08:11 PM   #18
brigala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The most current research now says that if mom is taking 6000 iU of D3 each day, and breastfeeding, then the breastmilk will contain sufficient D for the baby.

I think the whole "breast milk is deficient in Vitamin D" thing was because most adult women are deficient in Vitamin D and it is one vitamin that mom has to get plenty of in order for the milk to have enough.
brigala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #19
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Definitely stay away from the standard vitamin D in a dropper with caramel color and stuff, I want to say the brand is even enfamil or something. This is what the prescription was for from the doctor. But we do use D drops for the baby, kids and myself. We don't mind skipping it in summer though.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote