Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
"mommysmilkisyummy"
Registered Users

My Mood:
New to CD - not sure how to "prep" diapers?

Hi all - I am new to CD, I previously used GDiapers with disposable inserts but now that my ds is crawling the inserts bunch up and leak - every time! So, I bought a whole bunch of bububibi bamboo OS pocket diapers. I really like the way they work but I have questions about how to prep them?

How many times do I have to wash them before I can use them? Cold water? Hot water? Line Dry or Dryer? Do they have to dry between each wash?

Also, I have one that I washed about 8 times or so, I put it on my ds (so cute and comfy looking!), but she TOTALLY leaked through overnight... what is the best overnight solution? I ended up putting the Gdiapers on her for overnight since she isn't moving around much.

One more thing, lol, can I use the inserts that I have for the pockets in the gdiapers?? The GCloth is too expensive for me.

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement

"mommysmilkisyummy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: New to CD - not sure how to "prep" diapers?

So the pocket diaper itself (without insert), you can use after being washed just once. It's the inserts that you need to prep, since those are the absorbent layers. They are probably "usable" after two hot washes and dries (doesn't really matter whether you use a dryer or not), but probably won't be super duper absorbent. If you're worried about leaks, then I'd say maybe 10 washes, drying every other wash. I find that bamboo takes a lot of washes before becoming fully absorbent.

I'm lazy when it comes to prepping, so I go ahead and use it after 2 washes, but I just put more absorbency in there and deal with the bulk until the diapers are fully prepped.

I'm sure you can use the pocket inserts in the covers, as long as they fit (I haven't used the brands you mentioned, so I don't know). A great option is prefolds, since they are cheap and easy to wash. Get prefolds with the trimmed sizing, e.g. green mountain diapers, little lions, diaper rite, imagine, etc.

Night diapering.... sigh... I personally find it highly unpleasant, so we stopped after only a short while. But if I had to do it, I'd use a fitted diaper with lots of doublers, and wool on top. The fitted is nice because it will retain its shape wrapped around your baby, unlike inserts or trifolded prefolds which tend to bunch up after the first pee (i.e. highly likely to leak when the second pee hits). Hope that makes sense.
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
Emmers22185
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use my g's at night with a cloth insert and a disposable insert on top... I've had no leaks for months. I use mostly g's, but I do have some flip stay dry inserts that I use in my g's occasionally and I actually like them better as I feel they are more absorbent ( I just don't have that many flip stay dry inserts yet) but I would say as long as you get a good seal it should be fine to put the inserts into your g diapers. I have been known to use prefolds on top of my inserts for my g's too for a little added absorbency if I know it is going to be a while before a change.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
jemdoll
Registered Users

Thanks for posting this question. I've got my first cds comming in the mail. Does anyone have a resource for this kind of information?
jemdoll is offline   Reply With Quote